• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

vent your basketball frustrations thus far, here.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Vega,

Most don't hate Stan like you seem to. A good portion of us actually think he is a good coach.

I think I called Stan a good coach on numerous occasions. The 2 things I have said about him is I don't like his stubbornness or his offensive philosophy. Heath has a terrible offensive mind but he is and always has been an excellent defensive coach. He's basically Rex Ryan of CBB.

Heath knows all the defenses fullcourt and halfcourt. Stan has a 1-3-1 zone defense that is arguably the best zone I have ever seen played. He can't use it with this roster but with Egbunu, Rudd, Hawkins, Brock, and Zeigler on the team next season, I'm sure he will put it to good use. Hopefully Stan can sign a bigger PG then Collins because his defense really shines with a big lead guard.

If Jim Christian and Stan Heath could have stayed together longer after Kent St,  Heath would still be at Arkansas or coaching a bigger basketball program. Heath trusted Christian with many offensive duties, but he doesn't seem to give other assistants the same power. Dan Hipsher had a big role on Heath's staff, but never got to run his entire offense, just pieces of it.

Stan is a Tom Izzo disciple. Michigan State is known for tough defense and rebounding. Not for their offense. It has proven to be very effective as I believe they have been to 6 Final Fours and won 1 championship in his 17 years. that's crazy success.

from wiki

Izzo's teams are known for strong guard play, toughness and rebounding. Izzo is famed for his "war" rebounding drill, in which the players wear football helmets and shoulder pads.[12] His motto is "Players Play – Tough Players Win".[

You probably didn't know that I have a huge fan and supporter of Coach Izzo for a long time. Do not insult Coach Izzo by saying his and Stan's offense at USF are played the same. Izzo's teams run a fluid motion offense that can break down just about any defense. Izzo's teams do not look to drain the whole shot clock and his teams certainly don't lack the knowledge of how to attack zone defenses. If Izzo was on the sideline, watching USF pass the ball around the perimeter before forcing up a desperation shot or an out of control attempted drive, he would lose his mind. Izzo's teams also look to fast break at all times when it presents itself. If it is not there then they will run their sets in the halfcourt. Stan talks about doing that but that's all he does is talk.

Tom Crean was another top assistant under Izzo, you certainly wouldn't confuse his offense with what Stan calls an offense. Do you even watch MSU and Indiana or did you just decide to Wiki something without true research before and after?

Like I said many times Stan's defense in the halfcourt is good. What holds him back and will always cause him to underachieve even when he has a talented roster, is his offense or lack there of. Stan is every bit the defensive coach as Izzo and better then Crean, but he is a below a novice as an offensive mind compared to either of those two.

Izzo's offense rarely ranks in the top 100 in scoring. it can't break down just about any defense. it's reliant on strong G play. I'm not sure you've ever watched them play. they win with defense,rebounding and just enough scoring. they always have. anybody who knows anything about college b-ball would laugh at you if you suggested Izzo's teams win because of the unstoppable offense.

If you think USF is in a position to recruit the kind of offensive talent that Indiana can then you're delusional.

I wouldn't put stan heath on the same level as Izzo or crean but the fact is we have very little offensive talent and i believe running the shot clock down and limiting an opponents possesions gives us the best chance to win. not sure he is doing that as an actual offensive philosophy as much as he's doing it out of neccessity.

Edited by Bull94