• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Let's assume we get Taggart. On a state-wide scale, is Davis a bigger catch for FIU than Taggart for us? Wondering if he'll end up out-recruiting Taggart and ends up a better coach.

I wouldn't worry about the recruiting part. Cristobal was considered a very good recruiter too. I cant see Davis being that much better than Cristobal while Taggart stands to be a very big improvement here.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

It's strange that there isn't more buzz on Davis. This seems like the #1 hire to me. Are people assuming we can't land this guy?

People are afraid of hiring him due to UNC but he was cleared of any wrong doing by the ncaa. There is no reason to not give him a look.

I'm assuming that since he is already in the same area that a conversation has taken place.

They better be and if they don't they are foolish. Gary Shelton from 98.7 the fan thinks he is one of the best candidates we can get.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'd be happy with him... Shannon would come here for sure

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

If we get Davis this sub board will be back up and running in 2 years...I would rather have somebody that will be here for awhile...at least for the unfinished coffee in their cup to get cold

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

If we get Davis this sub board will be back up and running in 2 years...I would rather have somebody that will be here for awhile...at least for the unfinished coffee in their cup to get cold

That is my only fear with Davis... he has no real ties to USF or Tampa and can move on at any time. I think he can assemble a better staff than Willie T with possibly bringing in randy Shannon as DC and Mario Cristobal as OC.

That being said, given his age and that he has already 3 HC gigs, I don't think he would want to move around anymore so maybe we should consider him

Edited by FPTGCC

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

That ship sailed when USF let Leavitt go.

Even if we get Taggart, you're talking about a guy who would be leaving the school he played for in college, who gave him his first coaching job after college, and then gave him his first head coaching job of his career after only 3 years. Yes he is from this area, but he'd likely be gone just as quick as Davis if an SEC job (UF) came calling him after a few years. RIght now, USF is a stepping stone job. Thats the reality. It shouldn't base their coaching search or hire on trying to determine the future of whether a coach will bolt. If they do bolt, it likely means they were a success here. I'm much rather be looking for a new coach every 3-5 years because they were successful here, then firing coaches and paying them out after 3 years because they were a catastrophe.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Butch Davis is the most qualified to turn this program into a winner, it would be a shame if he goes to FIU.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

That ship sailed when USF let Leavitt go.

Even if we get Taggart, you're talking about a guy who would be leaving the school he played for in college, who gave him his first coaching job after college, and then gave him his first head coaching job of his career after only 3 years. Yes he is from this area, but he'd likely be gone just as quick as Davis if an SEC job (UF) came calling him after a few years. RIght now, USF is a stepping stone job. Thats the reality. It shouldn't base their coaching search or hire on trying to determine the future of whether a coach will bolt. If they do bolt, it likely means they were a success here. I'm much rather be looking for a new coach every 3-5 years because they were successful here, then firing coaches and paying them out after 3 years because they were a catastrophe.

exactly. every job is a stepping stone. hell wisconsin lost their coach to arkansas.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Let's assume we get Taggart. On a state-wide scale, is Davis a bigger catch for FIU than Taggart for us? Wondering if he'll end up out-recruiting Taggart and ends up a better coach.

If FIU gets Davis and we get Taggart then it will be a kick in the teeth in my view... Davis is a big time coach and if FIU gets him then that means that USF did not even reach out to him. No way in the world would a Davis go to FIU over USF unless he had not been contacted by USF.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

If FIU gets Davis and we get Taggart then it will be a kick in the teeth in my view... Davis is a big time coach and if FIU gets him then that means that USF did not even reach out to him. No way in the world would a Davis go to FIU over USF unless he had not been contacted by USF.

Davis has talked to USF.... but he is personal friends with the AD at FIU and wants to go there. Also, Davis will more than likely generate enough donations to kickstart getting their OCS finished.