• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SKIP HOLTZ TO RESIGN AFTER PITT GAME TONIGHT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Late to the party. I could see it. It saves face for Skip if he resigns. DW is a standup guy also, he may have indicated to Skip that this is for the best.

2.5 million is great, but, getting flat out fired with no holtzcuses (no support from USF, Leavitt's bad players, no OCS, etc...) could keep him out of a job for years. He'll make more than that leaving with dignity and getting snatched up pretty quickly... I bet if true, he'll have a vastly different staff at his next gig.

So USF is officially stuck in mediocrity and not going after a top coach?

stuck in mediocrity? We're 4-15 in the last 19 games including 2-11 in conference. Mediocrity would be an improvement.

What happened this season and last has zilch to do with USF's future compared with if USF decides to start saving money on coaching salaries and stop trying to get in a better conference. I don't think the powers that be at USF have decided that...yet.

Sure, but, have you looked at the BE lately? You can't overspend on someone and be tied to a guy like O'Leary at UCF. Because of their revenues and his contract, they have no options. (And believe me, he's a better coach than Skip, but, they need to move on)

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

stuck in mediocrity? We're 4-15 in the last 19 games including 2-11 in conference. Mediocrity would be an improvement.

Nvm.

I think the 2006 and 2007 teams were good, not great, teams. Both were 9-4 with winning records in conference.

although if someone wants to say that the present is mediocre then 2006-2010 were hall of fame teams.

Late to the party. I could see it. It saves face for Skip if he resigns. DW is a standup guy also, he may have indicated to Skip that this is for the best.

2.5 million is great, but, getting flat out fired with no holtzcuses (no support from USF, Leavitt's bad players, no OCS, etc...) could keep him out of a job for years. He'll make more than that leaving with dignity and getting snatched up pretty quickly... I bet if true, he'll have a vastly different staff at his next gig.

He had the same reasons for losses last season. And he had BCS team suitors at the end of the season.

I'm saying though... you still have those excuses if you quit. If USF pays you 2.5 million to go away, it becomes harder to sell that to the next AD.

What happened this season and last has zilch to do with USF's future compared with if USF decides to start saving money on coaching salaries and stop trying to get in a better conference. I don't think the powers that be at USF have decided that...yet.

Sure, but, have you looked at the BE lately? You can't overspend on someone and be tied to a guy like O'Leary at UCF. Because of their revenues and his contract, they have no options. (And believe me, he's a better coach than Skip, but, they need to move on)

I fail to see how underspending is going to attract a coach to USF that will make the fan base happy.

Up and coming coach... coordinator currently making $500k, pay him double that, he's happy, we're ahead a million bucks. Win and this fan will be thrilled.

Holtz has lost the players. Holtz appeared cool, calm, and collected during last few meetings. Apparently the only ones on edge in the locker room are the assistant coaches, especially Cosh. General feeling among players is Holtz is getting one more year.

This is directly from a player's mouth. Nothing concrete but he feels Holtz is getting another year.

The players are ALWAYS the absolutely last party to find out.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. He said some pretty troubling things though. Aside from the players not caring anymore, their attitude going into games was that they were going to lose. Said players joked about forfeiting tonight's game. Players are more excited about an end of the season party they organized than the game. But this is all stuff we can assume after a season like this. Just thought I'd post what I heard from a friend who plays D.

I'm calling BS! You almost had me up until you implied that (a) you have a friend, and (B) this person supposedly plays defense. No one on this team plays defense!

:)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,020
  • Days Won:  469

I fail to see how underspending is going to attract a coach to USF that will make the fan base happy.

Up and coming coach... coordinator currently making $500k, pay him double that, he's happy, we're ahead a million bucks. Win and this fan will be thrilled.

Up and coming...like Holtz?

Was Holtz really making just $500k?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Orlando taking the cheap easy points.

Up and coming...like Holtz?

Was he a coordinator before he got here? No, someone not currently a head coach. Up and coming like Jim by God Leavitt was when we hire him for peanuts.

Golden when Temple hired him.

Kelly when Western (?) Michigan hired him.

Saban at Mich State

Sciano before Rutgers

I'm mobile and can't look it up, but I bet those guys were not making great money at their first big break into a HC position.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

Holtz has lost the players. Holtz appeared cool, calm, and collected during last few meetings. Apparently the only ones on edge in the locker room are the assistant coaches, especially Cosh. General feeling among players is Holtz is getting one more year.

This is directly from a player's mouth. Nothing concrete but he feels Holtz is getting another year.

The players are ALWAYS the absolutely last party to find out.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. He said some pretty troubling things though. Aside from the players not caring anymore, their attitude going into games was that they were going to lose. Said players joked about forfeiting tonight's game. Players are more excited about an end of the season party they organized than the game. But this is all stuff we can assume after a season like this. Just thought I'd post what I heard from a friend who plays D.

I'm calling BS! You almost had me up until you implied that (a) you have a friend, and (B) this person supposedly plays defense. No one on this team plays defense!

:)

Haha. You're right, I should say that he's one of the guys on the field when the other team has the ball.