• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Different perspective on jumping conference - WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Is it just how bad the season is currently going for West Virginia that brings this or is this a regret thats been stirring longer?

Do you miss Big East yet?

MORGANTOWN - West Virginia University's football fortunes obviously are becoming worse by the day - not just week.

What second-year head coach Dana Holgorsen now is calling errors and "junior high mistakes" cost the Mountaineers (5-4, 2-4) last Saturday's 55-34 beating at Oklahoma State.

So their losing streak has reached four games, the most since 2001, and after a sparkling 5-0 season's start and 2-0 beginning as a member of the Big 12 Conference.

It has come down to the players hoping and praying for bowl eligibility. And they surely need a sixth victory for that. That's a most unusual situation for a football program that has been thriving for many years.

Considering that millions of dollars in coaching salaries and the extra millions spent on travel to Big 12 road games, the thought herein is that it's not worth all the big bucks.

I know it's trite to say that the tail is wagging the dog, but I know numerous WVU alumni firmly think that it is.

My thinking has been that West Virginia should have done a better job of recruiting before joining the Big 12 Conference. That is, if the powers-that-be really made the right decision.

I have always been a guy who liked WVU being "a big fish in a small pond" such as the Big East Conference. I felt it certainly was more fitting to WVU's Eastern ties.

But selected others obviously did not. So the university dished out $20 million to get out of the league. To be honest, I was shocked.

But big, big money talks. And the Big 12 reportedly needed a 10th member by June 30 for TV dealings in long-term contracts.

There are some who think the Mountaineers could have dominated the Big East and be 9-0 today - not 5-4.

And that senior quarterback Geno Smith would still be a strong candidate for the Heisman Trophy.

Versatile Tavon Austin, also a senior, and Stedman Bailey, a junior wide receiver, also would have benefited as a year ago.

However, Holgorsen has said he wasn't interested in talking about individuals - only about the team in general.

Holgorsen has admitted at times after a loss that the WVU coaches were outcoached. Perhaps that's an area that should be restructured at season's end.

Who knows how any coach has performed?

"You have some ideas? I'm all ears," Holgorsen told reporters after the OSU defeat. (One writer suggested he was joking.)

"You can't make very simple, junior high mistakes and beat a good team," the head coach said.

There are growing problems to fix with just three games left.

One comment:

You think this is bad, then just wait until baseball season. My prediction is that we'll get beat by an average of 15 runs/game. We probably should have stayed where we were competitive. As long as the kid don't get discourage, then who really cares though.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

I don't know about you all but I cried big crocodile tears when I read this. I sooooo miss those folks.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

They are pulling a USF.... Our fan base has been there.... start the season 5-0 then go on a losing streak...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,709
  • Days Won:  424

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The sad thing is if all of the defectors used their energy into making the Big East a better conference, we wouldn't be having these issues.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That includes Miami, VaTech, and BC.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

The sad thing is if all of the defectors used their energy into making the Big East a better conference, we wouldn't be having these issues.

So true.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Yeah, and we would be still in C-DOA

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

A few things Mickey's become the senile old man reporter. Getting out of the Big East was the right thing to do, would it have been great getting 2 years before to help recruiting and depth yes, but there was no choice.

Is it bad yes, our defense has holes the size of Texas in it. Why because we switched defenses and a lack of players. Last year we lost 5 seniors (3 NFLers), and 4 of the 5 where Rich Rods guys. 1 - Bruce Irvin was a Juco transfer. The defensive players responding are all 1st and 2nd year players who are getting better.

Our offense in the last 4 games disappeared namely because until last game Stedman Bailey had a high ankle sprain, and caused everyone to key on Tavon Austin. These 2 are NFL receivers who recruited by now Marshall HC Doc Holliday. Geno Smith has lost all confidence and is reverting into old mistakes, he is a better pro style QB than spread. (Also a Doc guy)

We should have won TCU, junior high mistakes on special teams cost us to be closer to OSU game.

Also alot of the issues right now is differences in coaching style Rich was a Hardass (Leavitt type guy), Stewart gave hugs, and Dana is close to Rich and alot of the players are not liking that style as they came here for Stew.

We were "Kragthorped" with Stewart and his coaches on recruiting, There is talk that we may end up with 30 recruits this year (10 being Jucos), if you look at the recruiting its leaps and bounds over the last 4 years also. And is USF is not careful Holtz is going to do the same thing at USF.

Edited by jvwvu