• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz will be USF's Head Coach Next Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

Ozzie Guillen

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Does anyone really think that with the current players that USF would have a better record if Holtz left for more money (which is why he was given an extension) at the end of last season?

If he does get canned at the end of the season I bet someone picks him up for HC immediately. Might not be BCS but when you look at the whole picture, he's still one of the better options available.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Does anyone really think that with the current players that USF would have a better record if Holtz left for more money (which is why he was given an extension) at the end of last season?

If he does get canned at the end of the season I bet someone picks him up for HC immediately. Might not be BCS but when you look at the whole picture, he's still one of the better options available.

yes with someone who knows how to adapt to their players strengths we would have a better record. they have used BJ Daniels wrong for 2+ years now. our defensive scheme is awful. supposedly they would upgrade our offensive line. not so much. special teams have been special to say the least. the buck stops at the top. if our talent is so deficient why hasn't he done anything about it?

anyone else that wants him can have him. using scapegoats for why we have won 1 confernce game out of the last 12 sounds exactly like holtz. excuses are for losers.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

A coach at a mid level BCS program should get 4 years. Could you imagine what would have happened had Clemson shelved Dabo Swinney?

Here is where we have a difference in opinion. You are probably right. Duke, Vandy, Kentucky... those are mid-level BCS programs to me... meaning that, if they win a conference (or division) once every 8-10 years, go bowling consistently, and keep fan support, they are doing great.

We on the other hand are in a conference that is prime for being better than that. I am not expecting national titles, but, hasn't everyone had a (part of a )conference championship since we've been in the BE except for us an the Cuse?

We should pretend like we are the class of the conference. We should be pissed every time we lose a BE game. We should not settle for losing records and seasons without a bowl. I was a huge Leavitt supporter, and would have said that he didn't have enough time to win the conference, but, he had good will built up from... you know... building the program from scratch and making me Bullieve that MY TEAM was as special as any other school in America.

Whoever we have though... I am not OK with "we're a mid-level team, we have to be happy with 6-6, 7-5, etc." (which by the way, I'd be thrilled with right now). If our coach isn't getting it done... with a senior laden team, working with a lot of talent (at least in my opinion). He does not deserve more time. Cut your losses and try to move on. I don't know how much it costs the program not to go to a bowl, but, I would guess that it's a pretty good bit. Not just from the Bowl revenues, which are likely next to nothing, but, from a brand recognition standpoint, butts in the seats standpoint, season ticket holders. In my opinion, $2.5 million is a bargain compared to that potential loss if we continue down this path.

Thats the worst excuse ever....If the seniors were so great, they wouldn't be getting benched and/or not playing at all.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/202210243rd_years_the_charm_for_successful_irish_coaches/srvc=sports&position=also

3rd year’s the charm for successful Irish coaches.

Frank Leahy, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine and Lou Holtz all won their first national championships in their third seasons as coach of the Fighting Irish, while Knute Rockne finished his second straight undefeated season. The combined record of the five in their third season: 50-2-1.

Coach Brian Kelly has the unbeaten Fighting Irish in the national championship discussion in his third season with their best start in a decade at 7-0 and a big game Saturday at eighth-ranked Oklahoma (5-1). So is it coincidence that successful coaches at Notre Dame have won titles in Year 3, or is three years how long it takes a successful coach to get his players in place and put his imprint on Notre Dame?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

they have used BJ Daniels wrong for 2+ years now.

I don't think anyone could use BJ correctly, unless that coach was an option-oriented guy. I may get tarred and feathered for this, but I don't think BJ's decision making has improved at all. I'm seeing the same uncorrected issues with BJ as I did under the Leavitt years. I'm starting to think that BJ's issues aren't really correctable, unless you run a completely different offensive system for him, like an option or triple option. Just my opinion.

http://www.bostonher...s&position=also

Frank Leahy, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine and Lou Holtz all won their first national championships in their third seasons as coach of the Fighting Irish, while Knute Rockne finished his second straight undefeated season. The combined record of the five in their third season: 50-2-1.

Coach Brian Kelly has the unbeaten Fighting Irish in the national championship discussion in his third season with their best start in a decade at 7-0 and a big game Saturday at eighth-ranked Oklahoma (5-1). So is it coincidence that successful coaches at Notre Dame have won titles in Year 3, or is three years how long it takes a successful coach to get his players in place and put his imprint on Notre Dame?

I don't think I'd compare Kelly and Holtz. Kelly is a hell of a coach. If he's able to get Notre Dame back to the promise land, that'll just confirm my thoughts on Kelly going back to when I first saw him coach at Grand Valley State Univ. while I was living in Michigan at that time.

they have used BJ Daniels wrong for 2+ years now.

I don't think anyone could use BJ correctly, unless that coach was an option-oriented guy. I may get tarred and feathered for this, but I don't think BJ's decision making has improved at all. I'm seeing the same uncorrected issues with BJ as I did under the Leavitt years. I'm starting to think that BJ's issues aren't really correctable, unless you run a completely different offensive system for him, like an option or triple option. Just my opinion.

I don't think I'd compare Kelly and Holtz. Kelly is a hell of a coach. If he's able to get Notre Dame back to the promise land, that'll just confirm my thoughts on Kelly going back to when I first saw him coach at Grand Valley State Univ. while I was living in Michigan at that time.

check out kansas state. they don't run triple option. their QB was rated worse as a passer last year so they ran him more. in fact he had 317 rushing attempts last year. 36 more rushing attempts than passing. his passer rating was 125.6 to Daniels 126.7.he had 13 TDs passing to 6 picks and a 57% completion percentage. Daniels was 13 TDs 7 picks with 58% completion percentage. oh and ksu's QB was sacked 42 times to Daniels 14.he actually averaged a full yard less per carry. they are talking heisman this year.

the difference? colin klein had 185 more rushing attempts than Daniels. BJ had 84 more pass attempts than klein.

Snyder is a smart coach. he turned a 4th string qb that is a mediocre passer that was converted into WR and has them in top 10 with heisman talk.BJ Daniels pass run ratio was 2.77 last year. Colin Klein's was .89. thier coaches understand how to use him. ours don't. this year BJ Daniels pass run ratio has risen to over 2.8. klein's has risen to 1.26. BJ already has 92 more passes this year. 28 fewer runs. it's ridiculous. anybody will tell you he is a better runner than passer and yet we continue to pass the ball 33+ times per game.

Look at denard robinson at 5-2 michigan. braxton miller at 8-0 ohio state. you don't have to run triple option in order to make the best of a run first QB. skip hasn't adapted his offense to his players. great coaches do that.

Edited by Bull94

A coach at a mid level BCS program should get 4 years. Could you imagine what would have happened had Clemson shelved Dabo Swinney?

Here is where we have a difference in opinion. You are probably right. Duke, Vandy, Kentucky... those are mid-level BCS programs to me... meaning that, if they win a conference (or division) once every 8-10 years, go bowling consistently, and keep fan support, they are doing great.

We on the other hand are in a conference that is prime for being better than that. I am not expecting national titles, but, hasn't everyone had a (part of a )conference championship since we've been in the BE except for us an the Cuse?

We should pretend like we are the class of the conference. We should be pissed every time we lose a BE game. We should not settle for losing records and seasons without a bowl. I was a huge Leavitt supporter, and would have said that he didn't have enough time to win the conference, but, he had good will built up from... you know... building the program from scratch and making me Bullieve that MY TEAM was as special as any other school in America.

Whoever we have though... I am not OK with "we're a mid-level team, we have to be happy with 6-6, 7-5, etc." (which by the way, I'd be thrilled with right now). If our coach isn't getting it done... with a senior laden team, working with a lot of talent (at least in my opinion). He does not deserve more time. Cut your losses and try to move on. I don't know how much it costs the program not to go to a bowl, but, I would guess that it's a pretty good bit. Not just from the Bowl revenues, which are likely next to nothing, but, from a brand recognition standpoint, butts in the seats standpoint, season ticket holders. In my opinion, $2.5 million is a bargain compared to that potential loss if we continue down this path.

Thats the worst excuse ever....If the seniors were so great, they wouldn't be getting benched and/or not playing at all.

unless you have a coach looking for a scapegoat.

perhaps he should pull play calling duties from one of or both of the coaches.

per haps he needs to get someone in to help him with game strategyand time management

it's funny how he is trying to "fix" the players but not the coaches.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

More importantly, you can't compare USF to Notre Dame ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

After hearing a lot of noise in the system, I am getting more convinced Holtz will be here unless we lose out. I sincerely wish him the best and hope he can pull us out of the nose dive. The worst thing, however, would be for him to salvage enough wins to continue and then have another less than stellar season next year.