• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Leach at 2-4 calls out heart of seniors, starts underclassmen.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  12

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/09/mike-leach-empty-corpse-washington-state/1622799/

"I think it's mixed," said Leach of his team's senior leadership. "I think with some it's stellar... some of them have been great and some of them have been very poor. Some of them have had this zombie-like, go-through-the-motions, that's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be."

"Some of them, quite honestly, have an empty-corpse quality," he said.

As a result, Leach and his staff have been forced to turn to underclassmen. This week's projected starting lineup for a game against California includes only three seniors, all on the defensive side of the ball.

Three true freshmen will start on offense, based on Washington State's depth chart for Saturday. A fourth rookie, redshirt freshman Gunnar Eklund, will start at left tackle.

"It's not pleasant to say or pleasant to think about, but it's a fact, which is why it's been necessary to have the youth movement we've had," said Leach. "We play a bunch of (redshirt) freshmen and true freshmen because we get a higher effort level out of them."

Not saying this is what we need right now no questions asked, but just an example of what some coaches are doing to resolve similar issues regarding effort and execution.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

You mean with the coaches right? I don't think our players want to lose or aren't trying.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  12

You mean with the coaches right? I don't think our players want to lose or aren't trying.

Our players are getting called out by media and announcers for looking flat. Playing to the opponent or to the crowd has been a common problem at USF for a while now. I totally disagree that some aren't giving 100%.

I'm not saying benching all seniors is the right move, but I admire Leach for holding players accountable and expecting maximum effort, regardless of class.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Leach is in year 1 right?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,472
  • Days Won:  25

Our players are getting called out by media and announcers for looking flat. Playing to the opponent or to the crowd has been a common problem at USF for a while now. I totally disagree that some aren't giving 100%.

I'm not saying benching all seniors is the right move, but I admire Leach for holding players accountable and expecting maximum effort, regardless of class.

You have to agree that some are not giving 100%

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

No way that's 100% out there

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,110
  • Days Won:  39

It's not 100%.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  170

100% effort? maybe

100% proper direction/motivation? not a chance in hell

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,110
  • Days Won:  39

Yeah, if you've watched the team for years as most people on here have, there is a difference that you can see with your eyes. It's pretty much been pointed out by everyone except maybe the coaching staff.

I'm not saying let's have a Tim Tebow promise or anything dramatic, but maybe some leaders need to emerge if the motivation isn't coming from what the coaches are saying?