• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Blog Post RE: BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  2

This article is spot on... BJD is a glorified running back with one hell of an arm... he is not the answer and is holding us back...

you keep saying the same thing over and over again but fail to offer up who you think on our team will not hold us back and is actually a better QB then BJ! Do you honestly think if you sit BJD that the RU game would have come out different? If you do, you are just showing your football IQ.

Matt Floyd so far this year, 3/7 for 19yds against UTC....He came in on one play for the RU game and handed the ball off for negative 3 yds.......Doesn't sound like the answer to me.

Note: I will root for whomever is the QB on the field as a bulls fan!

Are you seriously blaming Floyd for running backs lack of ability to get positive yardage?

The Cult of BJD needs to back off the kool aid... he is a great athlete but he is not the only option, and last time I checked Matt Floyd has less game time, and less experience then BJD. Assuming that we can stomp BSU I would like to see Skip bring Floyd out by the third quarter and give him the entire second half of the game.

I have also stated what we need to do as far as BJD goes... make him a dual threat RB and give him a direct snap every so often.

Im not blaming Floyd for the loss of yardage at all. He did what he was asked to do, others didn't (OLine and RB). I was just stating what happened on the play and i wanted to point out that he did get into the game. Nothing changed when he came in. The RB didnt suddenly run for 10 yds that carry or the OL didnt suddenly start blocking.This is a team game so the team needs the blame not one person. I'm not drinking any kool aid bro. I hope Matt Floyd turns into a stud quarterback for us. Until he wins the QB competition we need to cheer for the starting QB whomever that might be.

You guys tend to like stats, guess you dont like them when they go against your points.......

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700

oh and Matt will get his 1st team reps when he earns them.....that might be this year or next.....

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Who had the better game:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT 15/33 242 7.3 0 3

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT 20/41 254 6.2 0 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

This article is spot on... BJD is a glorified running back with one hell of an arm... he is not the answer and is holding us back...

you keep saying the same thing over and over again but fail to offer up who you think on our team will not hold us back and is actually a better QB then BJ! Do you honestly think if you sit BJD that the RU game would have come out different? If you do, you are just showing your football IQ.

Matt Floyd so far this year, 3/7 for 19yds against UTC....He came in on one play for the RU game and handed the ball off for negative 3 yds.......Doesn't sound like the answer to me.

You're questioning someone's "football IQ", yet you don't like Matt because of less than 20 plays? How do you know how he would do? Fact is, BJ will not be here next year. Matt will, why not give him the chance to show what he can do with the 1st team? He may fall flat on his face, he may excel. No one KNOWS.

I am questioning someone's IQ if you think there would have been a different outcome of the RU game with a different quarterback. Fact is there is alot more wrong with our team then the QB position. Listen, i dont care who plays quarterback for the bulls, I'm just tired of people sayng BJ is holding us back. That is stupid...plain and simple.

Thing is NO ONE KNOWS what would've happened with Matt in at QB. So, to say someone/something is stupid base don pure unadulterated conjecture is stupid. There is a lot wrong with our team, and BJ is part of that. Like I've posted our first play was a read option left, and he blew the read, the left end crashed and he still handed off. That is supposed to be HIS play. Nice kid, great athlete, but not a QB.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You're questioning someone's "football IQ", yet you don't like Matt because of less than 20 plays? How do you know how he would do? Fact is, BJ will not be here next year. Matt will, why not give him the chance to show what he can do with the 1st team? He may fall flat on his face, he may excel. No one KNOWS.

I am questioning someone's IQ if you think there would have been a different outcome of the RU game with a different quarterback. Fact is there is alot more wrong with our team then the QB position. Listen, i dont care who plays quarterback for the bulls, I'm just tired of people sayng BJ is holding us back. That is stupid...plain and simple.

Thing is NO ONE KNOWS what would've happened with Matt in at QB. So, to say someone/something is stupid base don pure unadulterated conjecture is stupid. There is a lot wrong with our team, and BJ is part of that. Like I've posted our first play was a read option left, and he blew the read, the left end crashed and he still handed off. That is supposed to be HIS play. Nice kid, great athlete, but not a QB.

BJ will soon be the all time yardage leader in the BE.if he wasn't a decent QB then he wouldn't be on the list. If skip needs joe montana to walk thru the door in order to win then we are in trouble.

we lost to a team with John McEntee as a starting QB last year. He had 103 yards passing,94.1 passer rating and was sacked 7 times.

of course our coaches decided to throw the ball 27 times in a game where Daniels had 10 carries for 65 yards (6.5 ypc average) even when the humidity was not ideal for passing!

1 misread and you think he can't run the read option....

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

The previous coaching staff thought Pat Julmiste was a better alternative than Matt Grothe. If it wasn't for a Julmiste injury, who knows when/if Matt would have seen the field.

Is this myth ever going to die ....

What myth??

"Sept. 2

South Florida 41 ... McNeese State 10

It took a while, but South Florida finally disposed of McNeese State with a 27-point fourth quarter with two touchdown runs from Walt Smith, a ten-yard scoring catch from Ean Randolph, and a 52-yard run on the final play of the game by Keeley Dorsey. MSU got a fumble recovery for a score and a field goal, but only gained 163 yards. USF turnovers and ten penalties helped keep the game close..

Player of the game ... South Florida QB Matt Grothe completed nine of 13 passes for 171 yards and two touchdowns and ran ten times for 58 yards and a score.

Stat Leaders: McNeese State - Passing: Derrick Foiurroux, 6-16, 46 yds, 1 INT

Rushing: Derrick Fourroux, 16-70. Receiving: Steve Whitehead, 4-39

USF - Passing: Matt Grothe, 9-13, 171 yds, 2 TD

Rushing: Walt Smith, 7-70, 2 TD. Receiving: Marcus Edwards, 3-62, 1 TD

Whoopty doo. What does it all mean Basil? ... South Florida might have blown out McNeese State, but there's a lot to work on. It took an explosion in the fourth quarter to finally put the game away, and that came from some key backups after injuries hit starting QB Pat Julmiste and RB Moises Plancher. Matt Grothe had a strong, efficient game in Julmiste's place, while Walt Smith averaged ten yards per carry on seven runs. The defense was more than fine and should have few problems shutting down FIU next week. To beat the better Big East teams, the penalties and the turnovers have to stop."

http://cfn.scout.com/2/614453.html

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Trip,

I remember going into that year the head coach said they were dead even. Then he started the senior (still think you should go with the youngster in an "even" battle).

Skip has never said that any quarterback was on equal footing with Daniels.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693

Assuming that we can stomp BSU I would like to see Skip bring Floyd out by the third quarter and give him the entire second half of the game.

I don't know how you could possibly make such an assumption right now.

Touche... for a moment there I forgot that we stink...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

The previous coaching staff thought Pat Julmiste was a better alternative than Matt Grothe. If it wasn't for a Julmiste injury, who knows when/if Matt would have seen the field.

Is this myth ever going to die ....

What myth??

"Sept. 2

South Florida 41 ... McNeese State 10

It took a while, but South Florida finally disposed of McNeese State with a 27-point fourth quarter with two touchdown runs from Walt Smith, a ten-yard scoring catch from Ean Randolph, and a 52-yard run on the final play of the game by Keeley Dorsey. MSU got a fumble recovery for a score and a field goal, but only gained 163 yards. USF turnovers and ten penalties helped keep the game close..

Player of the game ... South Florida QB Matt Grothe completed nine of 13 passes for 171 yards and two touchdowns and ran ten times for 58 yards and a score.

Stat Leaders: McNeese State - Passing: Derrick Foiurroux, 6-16, 46 yds, 1 INT

Rushing: Derrick Fourroux, 16-70. Receiving: Steve Whitehead, 4-39

USF - Passing: Matt Grothe, 9-13, 171 yds, 2 TD

Rushing: Walt Smith, 7-70, 2 TD. Receiving: Marcus Edwards, 3-62, 1 TD

Whoopty doo. What does it all mean Basil? ... South Florida might have blown out McNeese State, but there's a lot to work on. It took an explosion in the fourth quarter to finally put the game away, and that came from some key backups after injuries hit starting QB Pat Julmiste and RB Moises Plancher. Matt Grothe had a strong, efficient game in Julmiste's place, while Walt Smith averaged ten yards per carry on seven runs. The defense was more than fine and should have few problems shutting down FIU next week. To beat the better Big East teams, the penalties and the turnovers have to stop."

http://cfn.scout.com/2/614453.html

Anybody who around back then knows that they were both going to get the chance to play for the starting job. Grothe was due to play that second half but went in earlier because of the injury ... It is a myth that the only reason he played was PJ's injury.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

Trip,

I remember going into that year the head coach said they were dead even. Then he started the senior (still think you should go with the youngster in an "even" battle).

They may have been dead even but they were both going to get the chance to win the job on the field .... and I kind of think the opposite, if the battle's even, you go with the experience to start but still give the youngster a chance to win the job, which is what happened.