• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Blog Post RE: BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Woulard isn't consistent in high school. does anybody who says they can;'t wait ever checked a boxscore???

I saw the highlights of his most recent game. Not very impressed. Made a pretty bad read standing in the end zone and threw a pick six.

lets also remember hes 17 years old....our qb makes some of the dumbest decisions ever and hes almost 23. im willing to bet woulard progresses a lot, bj has progessed NONE in 4 years.

why would you bet that? have you seen him play? everyone thought brion carnes was going to light up college ball. he was from the same mold. great athlete. accuracy and decision making problems. he can't crack top 3 at nebraska and they like running QBs.

you don't think BJ has tried to get better? you think the staff hasn't tried to make him better?

fact is a lot of these kids that they call dual threat are really just athletes that play the position. it's very rare to get a QB that can both run and pass. michael vick still has accuracy issues

this staff hasn't been able to turn the 8th ranked dual threat into a passing QB what makes you think they will be able to turn the next one into one? there are people that actually think he will come in and play right away...

I've been thinking about this issue. If CSH isn't going to cater his offense around BJ, then why not play Matt who does fit his offense?

you're right. if Holtz isn't smart enough to cater his offense to his best player for the position then he needs to bring in Matt.

BTW you are pretty much giving up on the year when you start a guy that has 7 pass attempts in his career. like I said give him garbage time(unfortunately Holtz loves to play it so close to the vest that we may never have garbage time). if he lights the world on fire then give him the job. he had trouble beating out Eveld who is far worse than BJ. I'm sure Skip who sees them in practice everyday believes BJ is better than both or at least I hope he would play the one that gives the team the best chance to win.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I've been thinking about this issue. If CSH isn't going to cater his offense around BJ, then why not play Matt who does fit his offense?

you're right. if Holtz isn't smart enough to cater his offense to his best player for the position then he needs to bring in Matt.

BTW you are pretty much giving up on the year when you start a guy that has 7 pass attempts in his career. like I said give him garbage time(unfortunately Holtz loves to play it so close to the vest that we may never have garbage time). if he lights the world on fire then give him the job. he had trouble beating out Eveld who is far worse than BJ. I'm sure Skip who sees them in practice everyday believes BJ is better than both or at least I hope he would play the one that gives the team the best chance to win.

what are you basing that on?

Last time I checked the Rutgers QB was a freshmen and he did a good job making us look stupid...

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

Woulard isn't consistent in high school. does anybody who says they can;'t wait ever checked a boxscore???

I saw the highlights of his most recent game. Not very impressed. Made a pretty bad read standing in the end zone and threw a pick six.

lets also remember hes 17 years old....our qb makes some of the dumbest decisions ever and hes almost 23. im willing to bet woulard progresses a lot, bj has progessed NONE in 4 years.

why would you bet that? have you seen him play? everyone thought brion carnes was going to light up college ball. he was from the same mold. great athlete. accuracy and decision making problems. he can't crack top 3 at nebraska and they like running QBs.

you don't think BJ has tried to get better? you think the staff hasn't tried to make him better?

fact is a lot of these kids that they call dual threat are really just athletes that play the position. it's very rare to get a QB that can both run and pass. michael vick still has accuracy issues

this staff hasn't been able to turn the 8th ranked dual threat into a passing QB what makes you think they will be able to turn the next one into one? there are people that actually think he will come in and play right away...

i would bet that because hes only played 1 year of qb, and he won mvp at the most prestigious qb competition in the country. there isnt much more pressure than that for a 17 year old, espn telecast against the top 20+ qbs. and yes, ive driven to orlando twice this year to specifically see him play. im not saying he doesnt make mistakes, but when you see someone like George Whitfield talk very highly of him, and say he sees very similar football iq and decision making as cam, thats a very good sign. im sure a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part, but its hard not to be optimistic after seeing what he did under pressure on tv...he has moxy. when bj is under pressure he folds up like a cheap tent. when i went to orlando, i made it a point to closely watch and see if he was properly going thru his progessions, and at times i was extremely encouraged. watching a highschool qb thats played the position for a year see his #1 and 2 options covered up, and then checking down with an accurate pass to his rb out of the backfield for a 6 yard gain just makes me think things are bound to get at least a little better, because lord knows they cant get any worse....unless we lose to ball st of course, then its meltdown time ha.

what are you basing that on?

Last time I checked the Rutgers QB was a freshmen and he did a good job making us look stupid...

he's a sophomore and he had 227 passes last year. 51% completion percentage, 116 rating, 11 TD and 9 picks

last year he had a 46% completion rate, an 84 rating and was sacked 3 times against us. he was benched.

i would bet that because hes only played 1 year of qb, and he won mvp at the most prestigious qb competition in the country. there isnt much more pressure than that for a 17 year old, espn telecast against the top 20+ qbs. and yes, ive driven to orlando twice this year to specifically see him play. im not saying he doesnt make mistakes, but when you see someone like George Whitfield talk very highly of him, and say he sees very similar football iq and decision making as cam, thats a very good sign. im sure a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part, but its hard not to be optimistic after seeing what he did under pressure on tv...he has moxy. when bj is under pressure he folds up like a cheap tent. when i went to orlando, i made it a point to closely watch and see if he was properly going thru his progessions, and at times i was extremely encouraged. watching a highschool qb thats played the position for a year see his #1 and 2 options covered up, and then checking down with an accurate pass to his rb out of the backfield for a 6 yard gain just makes me think things are bound to get at least a little better, because lord knows they cant get any worse....unless we lose to ball st of course, then its meltdown time ha.

he won a skills competition. that's pressure??

jamarcus russel was a combine phenom.how'd that translate?

his m.o. is poor decision making, accuracy issues and no pocket awareness. sound familiar?

he's an athlete playing the position of QB. if he has a pass run ratio close to 3 he will be as ineffective as BJ Daniels

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

his m.o. is poor decision making, accuracy issues and no pocket awareness. sound familiar?

he's an athlete playing the position of QB. if he has a pass run ratio close to 3 he will be as ineffective as BJ Daniels

Love the optimism for one of our most highly rated recruits in history at the most important position on the field. I'm willing to bet he's a better QB than BJ by the middle of his sophmore year. I doubt he starts game 1 as a true freshman, but he could start towards the end of the year if it's a disaster under Floyd.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not so sure about that. Yes Rutgers has a good defense. but we have a track record of losing in the BE with BJ as QB, not blaming him, just saying that he's been the starter in most of those losses. Yes, we could do worse than 1-6 in our last 7 BE games, but not much worse. As for the practice thing, I agree completely, Skip knows more about this team than we ever will. But that leads me to believe that BJ runs Skip's offense pretty good in practice. One solution that I've discussed with a co-worker is a Spurrier style QB plan. Rotate, keeps the D guessing. Bottom line, all of us on this board want our Bulls to win, we just have different ideas as to how we can best accomplish that.

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

Love the optimism for one of our most highly rated recruits in history at the most important position on the field. I'm willing to bet he's a better QB than BJ by the middle of his sophmore year. I doubt he starts game 1 as a true freshman, but he could start towards the end of the year if it's a disaster under Floyd.

you weren't around for the 5 star dual threat QB we signed. he was a can't miss prospect.

our fans can't even wait for signing day before anointing a savior.

Edited by Bull94

I'm not so sure about that. Yes Rutgers has a good defense. but we have a track record of losing in the BE with BJ as QB, not blaming him, just saying that he's been the starter in most of those losses. Yes, we could do worse than 1-6 in our last 7 BE games, but not much worse. As for the practice thing, I agree completely, Skip knows more about this team than we ever will. But that leads me to believe that BJ runs Skip's offense pretty good in practice. One solution that I've discussed with a co-worker is a Spurrier style QB plan. Rotate, keeps the D guessing. Bottom line, all of us on this board want our Bulls to win, we just have different ideas as to how we can best accomplish that.

I actually wouldn't mind mixing him in either. he needs the experience. can't blame Bj for all the losses. he didn't play against uofL last year. his stat line against cincy was 409 passing 3 TDs 1 pick another 54 rushing. hardly his fault. There is one thing all those games have in common. Lou's son was coaching.

1 thing is for certain, we will never win if skip doesn't tailor his offense to fit his player's skill set regardless of who is back there. look at all the coaches that have success offensively, they use their players strengths.

edit: I would be in favor of Floyd starting if we had a stud running game and stout offensive lineand experienced receivers. if all we needed was someone to manage the game(ala alabama QB) and throw the ball 15 times then I'd be all for it. If we need a QB to provide 92% of our offense then i don't think anyone is the answer.

Edited by Bull94