• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rutgers' muffed punt return

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Same rule in NFL actually. A muff can't be returned.

Yeah, this is true, I thought they had different rules but just looked it up.

The TD was negated by a roughing the kicker penalty.

Are you serious? No penalty was called

Really??

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Incorrect. We declined that penalty.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

The penalty did not negate the return. The rule of a muffed punt brought the TD back.

I watched a replay this morning, the call on muff or fumble could have gone either way. He started running, but he did not appear to have full possesion of the ball.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

If you watched the game, it clearly was negated the call was that it wasn't a fumble. They specifically went to the booth to review this specific point.

Aside from that, the penalty was running into the kicker against Rutgers. Why would a penalty against Rutgers negate a USF touchdown? Makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

If you watched the game, it clearly was negated the call was that it wasn't a fumble. They specifically went to the booth to review this specific point.

Aside from that, the penalty was running into the kicker against Rutgers. Why would a penalty against Rutgers negate a USF touchdown? Makes no sense.

Exactly

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Are you serious? No penalty was called

Really??

Sorry, I mistyped

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

I was at the game, I saw the play, but neither I nor anyone near me could understand a word that the ref said over the crappy PA system at the RJ.

You're right, it didn't make sense to me, but I went with what ESPN said in that video.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

it was also a helmet to helmet hit on the punt returner (Mason Robinson) that caused the muffed punt... THAT should have negated the muff (both penalties should have negated each other) and it should have been a 15yd running into the kicker penalty on Rutgers and 1st down for USF... that was a blown call by the refs... The correct call was NOT muffed punt... due to the uncalled helmet-to-helmet hit on the punt returner...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

it was also a helmet to helmet hit on the punt returner (Mason Robinson) that caused the muffed punt... THAT should have negated the muff (both penalties should have negated each other) and it should have been a 15yd running into the kicker penalty on Rutgers and 1st down for USF... that was a blown call by the refs... The correct call was NOT muffed punt... due to the uncalled helmet-to-helmet hit on the punt returner...

I thought the same thing live. Shocked they didn't flag us for that hit. Our best defensive play all night was the yellow flag from the refs.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I thought the same thing live. Shocked they didn't flag us for that hit. Our best defensive play all night was the yellow flag from the refs.

On passing plays, sure. The run defense was pretty good, especially in the second half, save for the clinching touchdown. There were some nice tackles for loss.

• Upvote 1