• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rutgers' muffed punt return

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

it was also a helmet to helmet hit on the punt returner (Mason Robinson) that caused the muffed punt... THAT should have negated the muff (both penalties should have negated each other) and it should have been a 15yd running into the kicker penalty on Rutgers and 1st down for USF... that was a blown call by the refs... The correct call was NOT muffed punt... due to the uncalled helmet-to-helmet hit on the punt returner...

I thought the same thing live. Shocked they didn't flag us for that hit. Our best defensive play all night was the yellow flag from the refs.

On passing plays, sure. The run defense was pretty good, especially in the second half, save for the clinching touchdown. There were some nice tackles for loss.

Always the optimist. Good for you. Seriously. I didn't come away with much in the way of warm and fuzzy feelings last night.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I didn't come away with much in the way of warm and fuzzy feelings last night.

Well if you're stubborn enough to just insist there were no good plays made by the defense, it's not hard to understand why.

It's possible to both be really disappointed with a loss AND not think that every single thing about every single facet of the team absolutely sucks.

The pass defense sucked big time, especially in the second half, and it plus an inept short passing attack cost USF the game. What is gained by adding more hyperbole onto that fact? Does it make you feel better?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

it was also a helmet to helmet hit on the punt returner (Mason Robinson) that caused the muffed punt... THAT should have negated the muff (both penalties should have negated each other) and it should have been a 15yd running into the kicker penalty on Rutgers and 1st down for USF... that was a blown call by the refs... The correct call was NOT muffed punt... due to the uncalled helmet-to-helmet hit on the punt returner...

I thought the same thing live. Shocked they didn't flag us for that hit. Our best defensive play all night was the yellow flag from the refs.

On passing plays, sure. The run defense was pretty good, especially in the second half, save for the clinching touchdown. There were some nice tackles for loss.

Always the optimist. Good for you. Seriously. I didn't come away with much in the way of warm and fuzzy feelings last night.

Take away their last td run and we held them to under 3 yards a carry. Watching the game, I felt pretty good about our run defense ... so much so that every time they ran, I asked why bother with the success their passing seemed to have.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

This was a horrible call... the returner clearly had possession, he did not muff it. He got knocked the **** out and dropped it. I have watched this over and over and its clear...

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

After watching the replay of it, I have another question.

The nearest official to the attempted catch threw his bean bag marking a live ball, and ran and called a touchdown. No whistle was blown.

Why is it then that the refs can all huddle up and overturn the initial ruling on the field without reviewing the play?

EDIT: Oh, and the announcer in that ESPiN video is an idiot and doesn't know the rules. That's why ESPiN sucks.

Edited by outrunner

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

it was also a helmet to helmet hit on the punt returner (Mason Robinson) that caused the muffed punt...

Don't be ridiculous. The refs called so many plays for Rutgers it isn't funny. I've never in 30 years seen a more obvious holding call ignored by the refs on one of the plays.

Go back to your vacation mecca NJ.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Well if you're stubborn enough to just insist there were no good plays made by the defense, it's not hard to understand why.

It's possible to both be really disappointed with a loss AND not think that every single thing about every single facet of the team absolutely sucks.

The pass defense sucked big time, especially in the second half, and it plus an inept short passing attack cost USF the game. What is gained by adding more hyperbole onto that fact? Does it make you feel better?

May have misunderstood my tone. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was serious that I thought it was good you could find the good in the game. I couldn't bring myself to re-watch the game today. I'm sure there were good plays and some good individual efforts. But I just wasn't thinking of any of that after the game or today.

After watching the replay of it, I have another question.

The nearest official to the attempted catch threw his bean bag marking a live ball, and ran and called a touchdown. No whistle was blown.

Why is it then that the refs can all huddle up and overturn the initial ruling on the field without reviewing the play?

Because one might have had a better view of the play than others. I don't know what you're suggesting, but if it's that the refs shouldn't be allowed to get together and discuss what exactly happened, it's not a good suggestion. I'm guessing, but don't know for sure, that the ultimate authority to determine what the call on the field is belongs to the referee, but he has to have input from the other officials. Otherwise, what purpose do they serve?

• Upvote 1

May have misunderstood my tone. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was serious that I thought it was good you could find the good in the game. I couldn't bring myself to re-watch the game today. I'm sure there were good plays and some good individual efforts. But I just wasn't thinking of any of that after the game or today.

OK, sorry for my own snarky tone there. Definitely thought you were being sarcastic.

I think we can agree this loss sucks big time.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

it was also a helmet to helmet hit on the punt returner (Mason Robinson) that caused the muffed punt...

Don't be ridiculous. The refs called so many plays for Rutgers it isn't funny. I've never in 30 years seen a more obvious holding call ignored by the refs on one of the plays.

Go back to your vacation mecca NJ.

Especially the pass down field to I think it was Lamar.. The corner had his left hand all over him before the ball got there.. Of course there was no flag.