• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Only Skip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

just gonna throw this out there...

Even @ the pop warner level (which I coach) coaches avoid opening up the playbook against lesser opponents AND early in the season to keep it off film...

that being said, we don't need to be anything BUT conservative until next Thursday.

bingo. It was an FCS game, I am sure the coaches were trying some new stuff or experimenting in some regards. Am I the only one who noticed that BJ hardly ever ran the ball himself in that first game? Was that planned or did it just happen that way? Were they trying to make him make decisions that werent running the ball?

I think it is a good thing that we didnt blow out UTC Okie St style. We have always taken a dump on our Woffords, CSUs, FAMUs, etc. It hasnt gotten us anywhere before. Maybe this will force the coaches to really break down our weaknesses and maybe correct something they wouldnt have seen on film before Saturday against Nevada because our opponent didnt expose those weaknesses? I feel really good about this last game. If we get dropkicked by Nevada then I will panic.

Good points all around. I also believe they kept the starters in the game to build up endurance for Nevada.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  296
  • Days Won:  0

I know I've seen it on here and heard it on 98.7 this week people citing the play where BJ ran out of bounds instead of throwing it away early in the game. Skip just addressed it in his weekly radio show. It was supposed to be a screen play and we would've had a penalty for lineman down field if he had thrown it away.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I know I've seen it on here and heard it on 98.7 this week people citing the play where BJ ran out of bounds instead of throwing it away early in the game. Skip just addressed it in his weekly radio show. It was supposed to be a screen play and we would've had a penalty for lineman down field if he had thrown it away.

So, maybe BJ isn't a knucklehead?????

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

That would make a little more sense but it still would have been better to throw it away because, I think, he lost about 10 yards along with the down. I don't think the penalty would have been a loss of down ....

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Even @ the pop warner level (which I coach) coaches avoid opening up the playbook against lesser opponents AND early in the season to keep it off film...

that being said, we don't need to be anything BUT conservative until next Thursday.

If we want to win at Nevada, we can't be conservative. They aren't an FCS team.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  312

We should beat nevada going away without having to open up the playbook. We should be able to run the ball vs a mountain west team with no problem.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19

We should beat nevada going away without having to open up the playbook. We should be able to run the ball vs a mountain west team with no problem.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but Nevada at home is a tough out. The betting line (NV -1) reflects it despite USF having a talent advantage.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

After stepping back and thinking about it, the team played well overall. I believe the the best indicator of performance is the first half. We moved the ball at will up and down the field after the first drive. I can name at least 4 of BJ's interceptions in exactly the same situation. At least this one didn't cost us the game.

If the coaching staff is content with just running out the clock there I think it changes the entire complexion of what they are trying to accomplish and we completely destroy UT-C. We go into the loocker room up 21-3. One more score and you can get the twos more work for more than just a couple of series.

The defense was stifling. The OL always needs time to gel. Several of those kids on OL were playing in their first game let alone the first time playing together. They will come around. Murray has proven, for 3 years already, that he is capable. BJ, when given time is a good QB that now has legit weapons. I have confidence in the players.

My concerns are with Fitch in certain situations (like red zone and 3rd down) and sometimes with Holtz game management and clock management. In close games a coaches decisions can lose games for you or, depending on execution, win games. These 2 guys make me nervous and the defense should keep us in every game.

My only concerns really are OL pass blocking and some of the dumb ass things that Holtz does. The OL will come along and play better each game.

When we were up 21-3 with less than 2 minutes to go, around on own 20, please Skip, just run the clock out and stop being cute. If he was trying to work on the 2 minute drill in a live situation there, OK, fine. Then Fitch's playcalling there is ridiculous. Run some quick 7 to 10 yard outs where you don't burn time and the receiver catches it and gets out of bounds quickly or it goes incomplete. Both the game management and play call were idiotic in that situation. BJ should not have been in that situation in the first place.

You've been harping on this so I figured I would mention a post game interview over on Rivals I think it was. Holtz, or it might have been Fitch, basically said that wasn't the play called and BJ was trying to force something and he knows he shouldn't have done that...

was the play called a pass? Fitch doesn't learn. it happened against UF. pass play called inside our 20 with under 2 to play. picked and they scored a TD. it happened against WVU. pass play called inside our 20 with under 2 to play. picked and they scored a TD. same with western kentucky. inside 20 under 2 to play picked. didn't cost us though. Fitch isn't smart enough to realize we don't have peyton manning or tom brady back there. he isn't smart enough to realize it is far too risky to think we can drive length of the field with under 2 to play.

Insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

if it was a pass play called then it was their fault regardless of whether or not they take the responsibility.

Ok, I'm confused.

Are we criticizing Holtz/Fitch for being too conservative, or too aggressive?

evidently you don't believe in play calling for the game or even the situation within the game.personally I think that's what coaches get paid for.

we need to be aggressive offensively this week. nevada game will be similar to a cincy. we will need to out score them.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  312

evidently you don't believe in play calling for the game or even the situation within the game.personally I think that's what coaches get paid for.

we need to be aggressive offensively this week. nevada game will be similar to a cincy. we will need to out score them.

Yes... scoring more points than the opposing team IS how you win the game of football :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

bingo. It was an FCS game, I am sure the coaches were trying some new stuff or experimenting in some regards. Am I the only one who noticed that BJ hardly ever ran the ball himself in that first game? Was that planned or did it just happen that way? Were they trying to make him make decisions that werent running the ball?

I think it is a good thing that we didnt blow out UTC Okie St style. We have always taken a dump on our Woffords, CSUs, FAMUs, etc. It hasnt gotten us anywhere before. Maybe this will force the coaches to really break down our weaknesses and maybe correct something they wouldnt have seen on film before Saturday against Nevada because our opponent didnt expose those weaknesses? I feel really good about this last game. If we get dropkicked by Nevada then I will panic.

that's a myth. coaches should work on executing their offense. getting them prepared for conference season. how else can you practice in game situations? I am not complaining about not seeing any trick plays. I get why you don't want to work on that. I am complaining about not seeing any downfield passing (again- weren't we like dead last in completions over 40 yards last year) why wouldn't you want your QB and receivers to get their timing down?even skip said they didn't throw it downfield enough. I just hope he means it. I understand not running BJ. I also understand playing your starters for 3+ quarters(all though i think our #2 QB could use some work)