• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Only Skip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

After stepping back and thinking about it, the team played well overall. I believe the the best indicator of performance is the first half. We moved the ball at will up and down the field after the first drive. I can name at least 4 of BJ's interceptions in exactly the same situation. At least this one didn't cost us the game.

If the coaching staff is content with just running out the clock there I think it changes the entire complexion of what they are trying to accomplish and we completely destroy UT-C. We go into the loocker room up 21-3. One more score and you can get the twos more work for more than just a couple of series.

The defense was stifling. The OL always needs time to gel. Several of those kids on OL were playing in their first game let alone the first time playing together. They will come around. Murray has proven, for 3 years already, that he is capable. BJ, when given time is a good QB that now has legit weapons. I have confidence in the players.

My concerns are with Fitch in certain situations (like red zone and 3rd down) and sometimes with Holtz game management and clock management. In close games a coaches decisions can lose games for you or, depending on execution, win games. These 2 guys make me nervous and the defense should keep us in every game.

My only concerns really are OL pass blocking and some of the dumb ass things that Holtz does. The OL will come along and play better each game.

When we were up 21-3 with less than 2 minutes to go, around on own 20, please Skip, just run the clock out and stop being cute. If he was trying to work on the 2 minute drill in a live situation there, OK, fine. Then Fitch's playcalling there is ridiculous. Run some quick 7 to 10 yard outs where you don't burn time and the receiver catches it and gets out of bounds quickly or it goes incomplete. Both the game management and play call were idiotic in that situation. BJ should not have been in that situation in the first place.

You've been harping on this so I figured I would mention a post game interview over on Rivals I think it was. Holtz, or it might have been Fitch, basically said that wasn't the play called and BJ was trying to force something and he knows he shouldn't have done that...

was the play called a pass? Fitch doesn't learn. it happened against UF. pass play called inside our 20 with under 2 to play. picked and they scored a TD. it happened against WVU. pass play called inside our 20 with under 2 to play. picked and they scored a TD. same with western kentucky. inside 20 under 2 to play picked. didn't cost us though. Fitch isn't smart enough to realize we don't have peyton manning or tom brady back there. he isn't smart enough to realize it is far too risky to think we can drive length of the field with under 2 to play.

Insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

if it was a pass play called then it was their fault regardless of whether or not they take the responsibility.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

Wow. I can't believe that some people meltdown after that game.

You must be new here ...

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

After stepping back and thinking about it, the team played well overall. I believe the the best indicator of performance is the first half. We moved the ball at will up and down the field after the first drive. I can name at least 4 of BJ's interceptions in exactly the same situation. At least this one didn't cost us the game.

If the coaching staff is content with just running out the clock there I think it changes the entire complexion of what they are trying to accomplish and we completely destroy UT-C. We go into the loocker room up 21-3. One more score and you can get the twos more work for more than just a couple of series.

The defense was stifling. The OL always needs time to gel. Several of those kids on OL were playing in their first game let alone the first time playing together. They will come around. Murray has proven, for 3 years already, that he is capable. BJ, when given time is a good QB that now has legit weapons. I have confidence in the players.

My concerns are with Fitch in certain situations (like red zone and 3rd down) and sometimes with Holtz game management and clock management. In close games a coaches decisions can lose games for you or, depending on execution, win games. These 2 guys make me nervous and the defense should keep us in every game.

My only concerns really are OL pass blocking and some of the dumb ass things that Holtz does. The OL will come along and play better each game.

When we were up 21-3 with less than 2 minutes to go, around on own 20, please Skip, just run the clock out and stop being cute. If he was trying to work on the 2 minute drill in a live situation there, OK, fine. Then Fitch's playcalling there is ridiculous. Run some quick 7 to 10 yard outs where you don't burn time and the receiver catches it and gets out of bounds quickly or it goes incomplete. Both the game management and play call were idiotic in that situation. BJ should not have been in that situation in the first place.

You've been harping on this so I figured I would mention a post game interview over on Rivals I think it was. Holtz, or it might have been Fitch, basically said that wasn't the play called and BJ was trying to force something and he knows he shouldn't have done that...

was the play called a pass? Fitch doesn't learn. it happened against UF. pass play called inside our 20 with under 2 to play. picked and they scored a TD. it happened against WVU. pass play called inside our 20 with under 2 to play. picked and they scored a TD. same with western kentucky. inside 20 under 2 to play picked. didn't cost us though. Fitch isn't smart enough to realize we don't have peyton manning or tom brady back there. he isn't smart enough to realize it is far too risky to think we can drive length of the field with under 2 to play.

Insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

if it was a pass play called then it was their fault regardless of whether or not they take the responsibility.

Pretty sure you yourself had suggested a safer pass to the side/flat in another thread and I think that's what they had called. Are you suggesting that they not throw the ball at all when behind their 20 or 30? That would probably limit things quite a bit and would be conservative to the extreme. Even not throwing the ball at all when behind their 20 or 30 in the last 2 min of the first half, especially against a FCS team our D is smothering, is too conservative, in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Pretty sure you yourself had suggested a safer pass to the side/flat in another thread and I think that's what they had called. Are you suggesting that they not throw the ball at all when behind their 20 or 30? That would probably limit things quite a bit and would be conservative to the extreme. Even not throwing the ball at all when behind their 20 or 30 in the last 2 min of the first half, especially against a FCS team our D is smothering, is too conservative, in my opinion.

I didn't suggest a pass. I never have. it is clear that with this offense it is a huge mistake to pass the ball that deep in our zone when there is little time left before the half. you are giving them an opportunity to score with little time left. hell throw it 50 yards down field for all I care. if they pick it then it's more like a punt.we ran the ball for 7 yards on the previous play. my thought is if you don't have joe montana(or at least a top 10 college passer) back there then you run it and if you break off a couple of long runs to get you near the 45-50 then you can pass it. especially that close to the half. or like I said throw it so deep that it's more like a punt than a costly turnover inside our territory.

game situation dictates whether or not it's worth the risk. the only way they score against our defense there is if we risk a stupid turnover deep in our territory. sure we could fumble the ball but an interception is more likely. they have done it time and again proving they haven't learned from past play calling mistakes.

I'm not saying we never pass inside our 30 either. I'm saying the only way that team was going to score on our defense that late in the half was if we turned the ball over that deep in our territory. the risk was not worth the potential reward.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431

I didn't suggest a pass. I never have. it is clear that with this offense it is a huge mistake to pass the ball that deep in our zone when there is little time left before the half. you are giving them an opportunity to score with little time left. hell throw it 50 yards down field for all I care. if they pick it then it's more like a punt.we ran the ball for 7 yards on the previous play. my thought is if you don't have joe montana(or at least a top 10 college passer) back there then you run it and if you break off a couple of long runs to get you near the 45-50 then you can pass it. especially that close to the half. or like I said throw it so deep that it's more like a punt than a costly turnover inside our territory.

game situation dictates whether or not it's worth the risk. the only way they score against our defense there is if we risk a stupid turnover deep in our territory. sure we could fumble the ball but an interception is more likely. they have done it time and again proving they haven't learned from past play calling mistakes.

I'm not saying we never pass inside our 30 either. I'm saying the only way that team was going to score on our defense that late in the half was if we turned the ball over that deep in our territory. the risk was not worth the potential reward.

Just so I'm clear on what you're proposing, if we pass inside our 30 it should only be a 20+ yard pass down field, given our current QB? As far as the risk not being worth it, I completely agree game situation dictates whether or not it's worth the risk and in this case (against a FCS team our D is smothering) I'm going to have to disagree that the risk was too high for any pass play other than a deep ball.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

Bull94- do you realize how long WVU left Geno Smith in today? he threw his 4th TD to make it 62-20 in the 4th qtr after Geno was 32-36 for 326 yards.

you let your Seniors play the game. you dont fear injury. you might have been a bull since 1994 but it sounds like you started watching football at 4pm.

ha ha we weren't up 62-20. we HAD to play them late because skip doesn't know how to close out a game. if Geno breaks a leg then they look like idiots just because they want to run it up on an instate rival. remember when grothe got hurt in 3rd quarter of a meaningless game?? I have been watching that long. how about you?

well Matt. do you remember when grothe got hurt in the 3rd quarter of a meaningless game?? did you just start watching football at 4 pm???

happened in the 2nd quarter.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

We did not look like a team that was ready to win the BE. Can we ? Sure - alot of season left to play. TRex did look great.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

Only Skip and the scores of other accomplished coaches who have played sloppy week 1 games the past 30 years

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I left the game Saturday wishing I had seen a better offensive performance and better decision making from the QB position. That being said, I left Notre Dame feeling great about our year and we all saw how that worked out. As goes Nevada and Rutgers goes, will go our year. I am looking forward to it, but with a heightened sense of angst.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

um even in the notre dame game we gave up like 400 or more passing yards..it was not a sign of good things to come by any means. quality win for sure but it basically laid the blueprint for the rest of the season on beating us.