• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Loaded question... Curious to everyone's thoughts...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I sent the following remarks and questions to AA's mailbag on the Big East blog:

Going into the season, if you had told me that USF would beat both Notre Dame and Miami this season, I would make the assumption that USF would be at or near the top of the conference (not presently sharing last place). With the exception of the Pitt debacle, I still see USF as the top team in the conference if they finish off Louisville and WVU (regardless of their underwhelming overall Big East record). Big East records aside, which Big East team do you feel is most capable of defeating an Orange Bowl opponent? Each of the Big East teams has laid an egg in their games versus OOC AQ teams except USF. Unfortunately for 'eers fans, USF will rain on WVU's parade on 12/1/2011 taking them from the equation. This season's BCS bowl could be worse than the eyesore that UConn fielded last season against OU. Your thoughts? If USF ends up with Florida in Birmingham, that is better than a BCS bowl IMO. Defeating Notre Dame, Miami, Florida, and FSU (next season) would shift the recruiting paradigm in the state of Florida.

Now back to some of our posts prior to the beginning of the season. I stated I would rather beat Notre Dame and UM than go to a BCS bowl (and I'm still holding to that thought process - easy to say when we're in last place). If we end up with an average Florida team in Birmingham, defeat Florida, I would consider this season the most successful in our history and bigger than a BCS win over Clemson per se in the Orange Bowl. Thoughts?

I think the statement we would make on the recruiting trails alone by knocking down UM and UF this season would be more powerful than any win over a Clemson caliber team at this point in our history.

By the way, we will beat FSU in Tampa next year. Mark it down. Even though many of you will disagree with me, BJ's improvement this year reminds me of watching Marquel his junior season. We all remember how phenominal Marquel was his senior season. BJ will take it to the next level IMO.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

IF we beat Miami and IF we end up playing Florida... more successful than a BCS bowl? I disagree. I think going 1 loss in conference and making a BCS bowl would be a more successful season. Beating Florida, Miami, and ND all in the same season would be phenomenal though. If we do end up playing Florida, I think we lose. I think Miami is a toss up at this point and either team could lay an egg in that game or it could be really close.

If we beat Miami, Florida, and FSU in consecutive games, well you can't get upset over that. It's not out of the realm of possibilities. I think we have the best QB of the bunch.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I would rather win the Big East and go to a BCS Bowl, I'm sick and tired of the annual mid-season collapse.

• Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

I sent the following remarks and questions to AA's mailbag on the Big East blog:

Going into the season, if you had told me that USF would beat both Notre Dame and Miami this season, I would make the assumption that USF would be at or near the top of the conference (not presently sharing last place). With the exception of the Pitt debacle, I still see USF as the top team in the conference if they finish off Louisville and WVU (regardless of their underwhelming overall Big East record). Big East records aside, which Big East team do you feel is most capable of defeating an Orange Bowl opponent? Each of the Big East teams has laid an egg in their games versus OOC AQ teams except USF. Unfortunately for 'eers fans, USF will rain on WVU's parade on 12/1/2011 taking them from the equation. This season's BCS bowl could be worse than the eyesore that UConn fielded last season against OU. Your thoughts? If USF ends up with Florida in Birmingham, that is better than a BCS bowl IMO. Defeating Notre Dame, Miami, Florida, and FSU (next season) would shift the recruiting paradigm in the state of Florida.

Now back to some of our posts prior to the beginning of the season. I stated I would rather beat Notre Dame and UM than go to a BCS bowl (and I'm still holding to that thought process - easy to say when we're in last place). If we end up with an average Florida team in Birmingham, defeat Florida, I would consider this season the most successful in our history and bigger than a BCS win over Clemson per se in the Orange Bowl. Thoughts?

I think the statement we would make on the recruiting trails alone by knocking down UM and UF this season would be more powerful than any win over a Clemson caliber team at this point in our history.

By the way, we will beat FSU in Tampa next year. Mark it down. Even though many of you will disagree with me, BJ's improvement this year reminds me of watching Marquel his junior season. We all remember how phenominal Marquel was his senior season. BJ will take it to the next level IMO.

I hope you are right. If so I will buy you dinner.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

No way we're going to play UF in that bowl, even if we go.

The SEC will get 2 BCS teams and not have enough teams left to fill that bowl game.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

No way we're going to play UF in that bowl, even if we go.

The SEC will get 2 BCS teams and not have enough teams left to fill that bowl game.

Where do you think UF will go? They will get bowl-eligible Saturday vs. Furman.

• Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

That win against Syracuse has you thinking a little bit ahead.

One step at a time...This is the same team that lost to UConn and Rutgers, and you are sounding like we are going to run through the rest of our schedule.

We COULD win every game, but we have not been getting the breaks this year.

Let's just hope we make it to a bowl game.

• Content Count:  760
  • Days Won:  0

This epitomizes whats wrong with our fanbase. We win one game against a sub-par opponent and all of a sudden "we're back"? Did you forget about the 4 straight horrendous games. You forget about our defenses lack of ability to stop anyone in the clutch. I mean come on. Winning out is a far cry away.

And if you think one win against our instate "rivals" is going to sway many recruits from what those schools have to offer your are clinically insane. We might have good arguments against Miami if we win again plus their recent penalties. But UF and FSU are still head and shoulders above us. As much as it pains me to say.

Winning out still makes us one of the worst teams in conf.

Just take that win for what it was. A mediocre win. Not a season/program altering win. Not even close to the beginning of it. Geez

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I wouldn't call our losses horrendous, except for Pitt. Frustrating to watch? Certainly. But we had a shot to win 3 of those 4 losses. It's easy to see why some would think that this team is better than their record indicates.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

LOVE the optimism, and at this point, we all have to agree that this scenario would be the best possible.

Although winning out is a possibility, I don't see any of our remaining opponents dropping three passes in the endzone.

I do think that being a ranked (top 10-15 and BE Champion)) team and winning a BCS bowl is better than beating a bunch of unranked teams.

Archived