• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

West Virginia files law suit against big east

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

WVU may get out early but I hope not. I hope the Big East shafts them and the other defectors with the worst schedule possible. Give them a Sunday night game followed by a Wednesday night game.

They would certainly not play on ESPN, rep in a bowl game, or get any benefits of bye weeks if I had a vote. Their byes would come when they are playing each other. Then be sure the remaining teams in the league had a bye before playing them.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

How much you want to beat that WVU is in the Big East next year?

This bet assumes Mizzou is in SEC in 2012.

WVU will be in the Big East next season. The lawsuit filed is baseless. Funny how WVU portrayed other programs as trying to get out, but didn't say anything about themselves in regard to the ACC and SEC. The fact that they tried to pass of that the Big 12 came to them is a joke. We all know that WVU was working with the Big 12 long before October 27.

Enjoy the next 27 months in the Big East.

WVU is not breaking any laws by leaving. They are breaking a contract. The only recourse is monetary damages. You cannot legally force specific performance in this situation.

Hard to know what the monetray damages could be since this seems to be where this is heading. Marinatto can say that the Big East could lose $50 million if WVU is out in 2012.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I have read the filing and have discussions with lawyers in this state including some who know the attorneys filing and WVU lawyers who are saying the same thing I am. We will be shelling out some money and out of here.

I don't disagree with that, it always comes down to money. What I wonder is why WVU actually filed a lawsuit. With the invites going out to new members, and some being accepted, I would expect that the Big East would be agreeable to WVU paying big bucks to get our early. It seems that the lawsuit is merely going to antagonize the Big East and complicate negotiations.

If WVU actually had a case, it could push negotiations in their favor. But the lawsuit contradicts itself in many ways, and really doesn't give any good reason why WVU should be allowed to leave early. Especially since WVU was instrumental in creating the bylaw they are fighting.

• Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Why it was filed to make sure it stayed in WV that's it and to make sure WVU controlled timeline using WV courts.

Why it was filed to make sure it stayed in WV that's it and to make sure WVU controlled timeline using WV courts.

I would be rather embarrassed if I lived in West Virginia, if what you say about the courts is true.

Once again, the main points of the lawsuit:

1. Point - TCU did not have to wait 27 months.

Counterpoint - They were not part of the conference yet, they were living under the contract signed to join the conference in 2012, not the bylaws of the conference. WVU lawsuit fail.

2. Point - The league bylaws state their should be eight football teams, so WVU should leave early.

Counterpoint - WVU math isn't very good. Pitt and Syracuse are staying for 27 months. There are still eight schools during the next 27 months, Big East did not violate bylaws. WVU lawsuit fail.

3. Point - The Big East was a BCS AQ conference, so WVU should be allowed to leave early.

Counterpoint - For the next 27 months, the Big East is still a BCS AQ conference. WVU lawsuit fail.

4. Point - Marianatto is a weak leader.

Counterpoint - Opinion and irrelevant to WVU breaking the bylaws. WVU lawsuit fail.

5. Point - WVU paid the $2.5mil and said they were leaving early.

Counterpoint - WVU acknowledged that they agreed with the bylaws by paying $2.5 mil according to the bylaws. Big East accepted the money per the bylaws, and informed WVU that the bylaws state a 27 month withdrawal. WVU lawsuit fail.

I fail to see how this lawsuit filing is a stroke of genius. I hope the Big East just says, "Um, no" and makes WVU go through all the legal hoops which could take months or years. WVU should have offered boatloads of money rather than filing a lawsuit.

• Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

I think we insuitated we were going to offer money and they said no.

Therefore the suit.

Again no one has taken my bet.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I fail to see how this lawsuit filing is a stroke of genius. I hope the Big East just says, "Um, no" and makes WVU go through all the legal hoops which could take months or years. WVU should have offered boatloads of money rather than filing a lawsuit.

According to ESPN Radio's "The Herd" WVU reportedly did in fact "hint" to the Big East about shelling out $35 million... Big East countered with $85 million which pissed off WVU which is why they filled a frivolous lawsuit that they will never win in an attempt to bully their way out.

I think we insuitated we were going to offer money and they said no.

Therefore the suit.

Again no one has taken my bet.

Because your bet is not related to the lawsuit. There is a price at which WVU can buy their way out. No one disagrees with that, so why would someone bet?

According to ESPN Radio's "The Herd" WVU reportedly did in fact "hint" to the Big East about shelling out $35 million... Big East countered with $85 million which pissed off WVU which is why they filled a frivolous lawsuit that they will never win in an attempt to bully their way out.

ROFLMAO

I love it. See wvudude, $85mil is all it takes. :D

Archived