• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

West Virginia files law suit against big east

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

who is the big east? isn't the BE just the member institutions? who gets $50M?

The 5 remaining football programs should see the bulk of that money.

How does that happen? Also is that truely the case?

My suggestion has always been for us to give the 5 remaining football teams $5 million a piece ($1 mill exit fee, $4million damages 27 months), for the exit and damage fee assuming those schools "agree to stay for 27 months if that money is accepted" for the damage fee. Also the money to be paid by Cuse and Pitt should be split up the same way.

Any money should only go to football programs, since the money is only required by Football members.

The Big East has already stated that it will lose $50 million if it lets WVU out of the Big East 27 months early...

Another question is how does the BE lose money if we are replaced?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Lose money on the upcoming tv deal. Not sure Boise State is more appealing for tv than WVU is.

Lose money on the upcoming tv deal. Not sure Boise State is more appealing for tv than WVU is.

Right here is part of our defense in our case BE turning down TV contract already, also with the loss of PITT, Cuse and TCU doesn't it hurt us and thus part of saying BE did not keep the league competitive and valuable?

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Right here is part of our defense in our case BE turning down TV contract already.

Pitt, Syracuse ,Rutgers, and WVU had the most clout in the league. Please don't act like you were taken advantage of by some evil entity. You were as much apart of the decision process as anybody. I could maybe understand that argument if you were the only vote to accept the deal but you voted to decline it. Did you know WVU president is the one who wanted to write the 27 month clause into the contract?

here is an excerpt:

The Big East voted to turn down a contract offer with ESPN in May, which would have paid up to $11 million per team, according to an article in The Boston Globe. Pittsburgh Chancellor Mark Nordenberg and Athletic Director Steve Pederson then received criticism claiming they had led efforts to decline the offer, a charge that Nordenberg denies.

"In the end when the conference did decide not to accept the ESPN offer, it was an unanimous vote of all 16 members not led by us or by anyone else," Nordenberg said.

Yes, Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers and WVU has clout when it came to football, but this is a hybrid 16 team league. Not saying we were taken advantage of but the league voted against all 16 members. Now that Pitt, Cuse, and TCU left after this was voted on, degraded the conference.

The statement above is that Boise St TV may not be as appealling as WVUs, well Houston's is not as appealing as TCU, UCF is not as appealing as Cuse and SMU is not as appealing as Pitts (because people stay home and watch games there) so it was already degraded before we left.

27 months damages is all that can be assessed in a court case, future earnings past does not matter for this instance, since it is now official we are leaving, The money above the $5million that will be paid is for leaving July 1, 2012 versus staying 27 months from now.

I know ex Pres Hardesty helped write the BE contract in 2003, does not mean if BE did not hold up its end we can't sue to get out. New AD and New President feel the contract is open for discussion.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Yes, Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers and WVU has clout when it came to football, but this is a hybrid 16 team league. Not saying we were taken advantage of but the league voted against all 16 members. Now that Pitt, Cuse, and TCU left after this was voted on, degraded the conference.

The statement above is that Boise St TV may not be as appealling as WVUs, well Houston's is not as appealing as TCU, UCF is not as appealing as Cuse and SMU is not as appealing as Pitts (because people stay home and watch games there) so it was already degraded before we left.

27 months damages is all that can be assessed in a court case, future earnings past does not matter for this instance, since it is now official we are leaving, The money above the $5million that will be paid is for leaving July 1, 2012 versus staying 27 months from now.

I know ex Pres Hardesty helped write the BE contract in 2003, does not mean if BE did not hold up its end we can't sue to get out. New AD and New President feel the contract is open for discussion.

all I'm saying is the fact that the BE turning down the tv deal is not proof to your advantage. you turned it down as well.

it's a shame cuse and pitt bolted. I think the dollars would have been much more for everyone if they had stayed. oh well they get a little bump by going to the ACC.

ESPN is paying texas $10M a year for third tier rights.

think of how much the BE could have gotten on the open market for all 3 tiers.

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That's pretty funny.

‘I remember… they said a contract is a contract’

I guess WVU feels that is only the case when it is in their best interest.

I thought RR was great and quite funny. I am one of the few that would take RR back if Holgs would leave. He learned his lesson and I think he would finish here. Hopefully he is coaching at UCLA, Zona or Tulane next year.

Question: Since some on here thinks Boise St>WVU would you allow Boise to take our place next year if we paid Big East the $5million due and in lieu of 27 months paid for Boise St's exit fees to be here?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I thought RR was great and quite funny. I am one of the few that would take RR back if Holgs would leave. He learned his lesson and I think he would finish here. Hopefully he is coaching at UCLA, Zona or Tulane next year.

Question: Since some on here thinks Boise St>WVU would you allow Boise to take our place next year if we paid Big East the $5million due and in lieu of 27 months paid for Boise St's exit fees to be here?

Ok, the gig is up.

You have to be Oliver Luck, just hanging out here chatting with us in hopes you'll find an idea that let's you leave the BE early.

Archived