• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

i quit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

didntread.gif

Years of watching and hearing fans swear they will never have anything to do with the team anymore because we lost when the fan thinks we should have won makes me wonder about the nature of "fandom" or affiliation.  I think one variable is the nature of their attachment to the team.  Maturity plays a role ("I'm taking my ball and going home!") but I am not sure I am qualified to speak to that topic  :)

There is a difference, in my opinion, between being a Bull and being a Bull's fan.  A Bull has a tangible and close (emotionally) attachment to the university.  For example, one who has attended USF or had an immediate family member attend the university is a Bull.  One who has a more distal relationship, or none at all but just chose USF as a team that they are going to root for is a Bull's fan.  In the former case, one would expect, in most cases, a closer and more robust emotional tie to the university.  All are welcome and no one is "better" than another, but it might be one way to explain why some people give up on the team and others don't.  Certainly, there are many other variables.

Then there are the other fans.  You know the type.  The Bubbas, who exhibits no evidence of even completing high school, much less college, who buy a Gator (or other team's) jersey and all of a sudden is a "Gator".  They pepper their conversation with "We" beat so and so, "We" are playing great, "We" should make the national championship, etc.  They scorn fans from other schools, as if they had any legitimate identity with their chosen team.  They, in essence, have stolen their identity from those who actually contribute to the university in some fashion, either playing for, donating to, attending the games, or truly have a genuine emotional attachment.  These are fans whose sworn allegiance shrivels and is quickly forgotten when their chosen team disappoints.

Admittedly, these are examples from the ends of the spectrum.  However, there are many fans who reside in the middle ground.  I guess it is a measure of intention.  If a "fan's" intention is to procure some kind of superior social postion from the efforts of a team that doesn't even know that this fan exists, then I can understand the fecklessness.  But if there is truly a close emotional tie to the team and the overriding intention is for the good of the team and not the social standing of the fan, then I expect that fan to have a more enduring, forgiving relationship with the team.

We all get a dagger in the heart when our team loses, but I am led to believe that how one reacts tells us quite a bit about the fan.  If the relationship is honestly close enough, then it is there long term.  Whatever the nature of fan, believing in the Bulls is a life time relationship, not a one night stand.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

times are tough but is it really all that surprising at this point what is going on?

how many YEARS have we had a problem winning in October?

how many times do we start a season beating some name team?

how many times do we climb into the rankings only to be shunned after our October swoon?

see the pattern?

the good news (if you want to call it that) is that the typical pattern includes the team suddenly starting to play well again, winning enough games to get into some sort of bowl game.

So other than a possible beat down on HC by Cinci, odds are good the rest of the year will be just super.

disappointing as we failed to meet the high expectations a handful of internet clowns determined we were suddenly supposed to meet -- when pretty much everyone before the season started (other than ET -the eternal optimist) felt we would most likely win about 8 games this year, maybe contend for the BE title (but not win it). When will our fans learn that the first big win of the season is not the time to get all giddy and start threads about how high our rankings should be or how we can win it all or "oh noes-- someone will steal this coach or that coach"?

It's been like this for 5 years people. FIVE YEARS. How is any of this surprising anymore?

I can understand the “I quit†post.  We have a new coaching staff on their second year that was supposed to prevent this.  We will get killed against the rest of the BE teams.  I'm not planning my weekends around USF games anymore.  Next week, if the weather is nice, I may just go grouper f i s h i n g instead of going to the game. 

I need your tickets.

No you don't.  There will literally be tens of thousands of empty seats going forward. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,555
  • Days Won:  423

times are tough but is it really all that surprising at this point what is going on?

how many times do we climb into the rankings only to be shunned after our October swoon?

see the pattern?

the good news (if you want to call it that) is that the typical pattern includes the team suddenly starting to play well again, winning enough games to get into some sort of bowl game.

So other than a possible beat down on HC by Cinci, odds are good the rest of the year will be just super.

disappointing as we failed to meet the high expectations a handful of internet clowns determined we were suddenly supposed to meet -- when pretty much everyone before the season started (other than ET -the eternal optimist) felt we would most likely win about 8 games this year, maybe contend for the BE title (but not win it). When will our fans learn that the first big win of the season is not the time to get all giddy and start threads about how high our rankings should be or how we can win it all or "oh noes-- someone will steal this coach or that coach"?

It's been like this for 5 years people. FIVE YEARS. How is any of this surprising anymore?

I can understand the “I quit†post.  We have a new coaching staff on their second year that was supposed to prevent this.  We will get killed against the rest of the BE teams.  I'm not planning my weekends around USF games anymore.  Next week, if the weather is nice, I may just go grouper f i s h i n g instead of going to the game. 

I need your tickets.

No you don't.  There will literally be tens of thousands of empty seats going forward. 

There have been literally tens of thousands of empty seats going backward ...

• Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

see the pattern?

I need your tickets.

There have been literally tens of thousands of empty seats going backward ...

I have eight tickets, all eight will be used. Someone asked if I knew of anybody unloading tickets. I know there will be plenty. Just the fact that if someone knows that they're not going, I know someone looking for tickets, therefore I need them.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

didntread.gif

This .gif is very disturbing.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

life is full of disappointments

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

didntread.gif

This .gif is very disturbing.

Thanks now I can't sleep

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

tired of investing emotionally in this team, only to be let down

college football is about recruiting

can't compete against the big 3

it's only going to get worse

i will continue to support my university

but i will no longer care about whether we win or lose

our team obviously doesn't

(posted smazza style, don't care enough to post complete sentences)

addition by subtraction

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Years of watching and hearing fans swear they will never have anything to do with the team anymore because we lost when the fan thinks we should have won makes me wonder about the nature of "fandom" or affiliation.  I think one variable is the nature of their attachment to the team.  Maturity plays a role ("I'm taking my ball and going home!") but I am not sure I am qualified to speak to that topic  :)

There is a difference, in my opinion, between being a Bull and being a Bull's fan.  A Bull has a tangible and close (emotionally) attachment to the university.  For example, one who has attended USF or had an immediate family member attend the university is a Bull.  One who has a more distal relationship, or none at all but just chose USF as a team that they are going to root for is a Bull's fan.  In the former case, one would expect, in most cases, a closer and more robust emotional tie to the university.  All are welcome and no one is "better" than another, but it might be one way to explain why some people give up on the team and others don't.  Certainly, there are many other variables.

Then there are the other fans.  You know the type.  The Bubbas, who exhibits no evidence of even completing high school, much less college, who buy a Gator (or other team's) jersey and all of a sudden is a "Gator".  They pepper their conversation with "We" beat so and so, "We" are playing great, "We" should make the national championship, etc.  They scorn fans from other schools, as if they had any legitimate identity with their chosen team.  They, in essence, have stolen their identity from those who actually contribute to the university in some fashion, either playing for, donating to, attending the games, or truly have a genuine emotional attachment.  These are fans whose sworn allegiance shrivels and is quickly forgotten when their chosen team disappoints.

Admittedly, these are examples from the ends of the spectrum.  However, there are many fans who reside in the middle ground.  I guess it is a measure of intention.  If a "fan's" intention is to procure some kind of superior social postion from the efforts of a team that doesn't even know that this fan exists, then I can understand the fecklessness.  But if there is truly a close emotional tie to the team and the overriding intention is for the good of the team and not the social standing of the fan, then I expect that fan to have a more enduring, forgiving relationship with the team.

We all get a dagger in the heart when our team loses, but I am led to believe that how one reacts tells us quite a bit about the fan.  If the relationship is honestly close enough, then it is there long term.  Whatever the nature of fan, believing in the Bulls is a life time relationship, not a one night stand.

The rare insightful, thoughtful and well written post.

WTF are you doing on here?  Making the rest of us look bad.

Seriously, great post.  :clap

Archived