• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  120
  • Days Won:  0

great post, however you should sit in timeout and think about why your not against ucf joining.

Because I don't consider them a legit threat, even in conference.  And, as I said, they'd be my last choice if we needed to bump up another team.

Right now we need to operate under the assumption that Rutgers and UConn are going no where for the time being.  The ACC is done for now because if they weren't they likely would have already accepted at least UConn. 

So we go forward with seven football schools:

USF

Louisville

West Virginia

Cincinnati

Rutgers

UConn

TCU

Since we seemingly want to keep the bball schools, the most sensible thing to me would be to go to 12 schools and add a conference title game in NYC (or alternate it between NYC and Dallas).

So I would add at least Navy, if they want to join.  I'd actually prefer to just stick with Navy because AF is way out in Colorado and Navy provides a big national audience by themselves.

So Navy, ECU, Houston, and SMU would be my adds.  That brings us to 11.  And, honestly, with Temple finally putting things together in football, I would be inclined to invite them for all sports, solidifying the Philly market.

12 teams with football teams playing eight conference games a year - five against your division and playing half of the other division every year.

i do view them as a serious threat.....a serious threat to our recruiting if they were to gain aq status.  i hate to wish another school not to succeed, but when it comes down to it my interests lie with usf

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Data, I totally appreciate what you're saying, and I do agree. But the huge qualifier for me is that I agree with what you're saying given a situation where the BE schools are committed to each other and are working toward a common goal. Clearly, this isn't the case based on Marinatto's statements being immediately contradicted by "other sources" who were at the same meetings, by RU and WVU's vague statements, and by UConn's totally public wooing of the ACC. Since we're not all working towards a common goal, I would want/hope that the BE would force everyone together and shore things up internally while we're also (as a conference) trying to expand, merge, do whatever. It feels like it's every man for himself. Which, obviously, it could be. And that's what I don't like. Our BE leadership doesn't appear to be leading. And if the BE is the only thing keeping us from CUSA and certain doom, then I'd like to see more from them.

I see what you are saying, but I still think those kinds of sit downs still require some background work first.  The reality is that none of the schools are ready to truly commit to each other.  Even the non-football schools are evaluating their options.  It will take at least a week and possibly much longer before each individual school will be resigned to the fact they don't have a better option and are ready to look at really strengthening the league. 

Marianetto should use that time to figure out who wants in and develop pros/cons/recommendations for everyone to discuss.

Unfortunately, Trip was right.  (Don't tell him)  This is going to drag on a while.

• Content Count:  183

With so many commenting and contributing to the ongoing discussion regarding our alma maters desire to remain in a nationally competitive BCS conference, I cant help but throw in my quick gut reaction and hopes for the future of USF athletics.

As much as the Big East has done for USF, and for as little as we have achieved as part of the conference, I'm really hoping that the remaining Big East football only members find a path to break away and join up with the Big 12. It makes sense for alot of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned in the previous posts, but the one that irks me the most is the current state of instability within our conference. USF needs to find a long term home, and its hard to have loyalty to (or build tradition with) anyone in a conference that has a revolving door policy. It makes alot of sense (having east/west division) and would be beneficial for both the Big 12 (larger TV footprint) and the remaining Big East Members (A place to call home).

Plus, it would be awesome to play some of those Big 12 teams on a semi regular basis  ;D

This is my hope (or dream) as well.  I hope that if the Big12 decides to stay together and stabilize, that they'd consider going back to 12 teams including USF.  Although it's very different, there has been alot of talk about Texas A&M opening up Texas to the SEC.  I know we're just USF, but we could open up Florida to the Big 12.  I hope they can see our potential.  (I know I have green & gold goggles on here, but I can dream).

• Content Count:  2,277

Here's a pretty good article that pretty much sums up what has happened over the past week and what possible outcomes could happen:

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/south-florida-bulls/2011/9/22/2442254/an-under-rock-dwellers-guide-to-usf-and-conference-realignment

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Bulls 247 is set to have a 3:30 update on realignment and it mentioned hearing "positive rumors".

http://southflorida.247sports.com/

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

The Big East has a few options from there, which will be discussed on Oct. 2 at a regularly scheduled presidents’ meeting. (from the article above)

Sounds like we will hear nothing about any new members till then...

Oct 2???? I don't get why this isn't something that would be moved up on the schedule. Why would you not want to meet ASAP?

Simple. Pitt and Syracuse are in the league for another 2 seasons. Patience can be a good thing.

Patience, Basketball, and ignorance got us to the brink of death.

Fixed it  ;)

The only way the Big East can remain viable is if it...

1.) Kicks out all of the basketball schools + Notre Dame (Sign of Strength)

2.) Adds ALL of the service academies as full members

3.) Adds ECU, UCF, Houston, Memphis... this gives us 14 total teams.

By adding UCF it gives us the slight possibility that a USF-UCF combo could put pressure on the Florida legislature to put pressure on the NCAA in a few years when our AQ comes up for renewal. This is just a backup fail safe...

By adding all of the service academies it ensures that we won't lose our AQ status... if the NCAA tries to yank the Big East's AQ status in a few years then this will ensure that the Federal Congres gets involved to defend their academies.

Memphis brings a huge check and sponsorship from FedEx

ECU is a way to undermine the ACC

so your suggestion is to allow a school 45 minutes away to earn aq status and be put on the same playing field in recruiting as us.  makes a lot of sense....  ???

Yes, because if we don't add teams that have no chance of getting picked up by other conferences and will be loyal to death to defend the AQ status of the Big East then USF is going to spend a bunch of time with UCF down in CUSA.

Time is our enemy right now... and well the retard that is running the Big East off a cliff by sitting on his hands. The longer we wait the closer the BigXII gets to taking WV, Louisville, and TCU... once that happens UCF will be the least of our issues...

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The Big East has a few options from there, which will be discussed on Oct. 2 at a regularly scheduled presidents’ meeting. (from the article above)

Sounds like we will hear nothing about any new members till then...

Oct 2???? I don't get why this isn't something that would be moved up on the schedule. Why would you not want to meet ASAP?

Simple. Pitt and Syracuse are in the league for another 2 seasons. Patience can be a good thing.

Patience, Basketball, and ignorance got us to the brink of death.

Fixed it  ;)

The only way the Big East can remain viable is if it...

1.) Kicks out all of the basketball schools + Notre Dame (Sign of Strength)

2.) Adds ALL of the service academies as full members

3.) Adds ECU, UCF, Houston, Memphis... this gives us 14 total teams.

By adding UCF it gives us the slight possibility that a USF-UCF combo could put pressure on the Florida legislature to put pressure on the NCAA in a few years when our AQ comes up for renewal. This is just a backup fail safe...

By adding all of the service academies it ensures that we won't lose our AQ status... if the NCAA tries to yank the Big East's AQ status in a few years then this will ensure that the Federal Congres gets involved to defend their academies.

Memphis brings a huge check and sponsorship from FedEx

ECU is a way to undermine the ACC

so your suggestion is to allow a school 45 minutes away to earn aq status and be put on the same playing field in recruiting as us.  makes a lot of sense....  ???

Yes, because if we don't add teams that have no chance of getting picked up by other conferences and will be loyal to death to defend the AQ status of the Big East then USF is going to spend a bunch of time with UCF down in CUSA.

Time is our enemy right now... and well the retard that is running the Big East off a cliff by sitting on his hands. The longer we wait the closer the BigXII gets to taking WV, Louisville, and TCU... once that happens UCF will be the least of our issues...

Adding UCF would not stop those schools from bolting to the Big 12 if offered.  The fact that we didn't have the votes to raise the exit fees should tell you that.......

• Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

Bulls 247 is set to have a 3:30 update on realignment and it mentioned hearing "positive rumors".

http://southflorida.247sports.com/

Is this link working properly for anyone?

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I say we just let UCF under the condition that they official change their mascot to the UCF Gnats... as a reminder of where they came from and who is top dog in this relationship. They can change it after a few years (five? ten?), but I think I need the humiliation factor to be ok with it. It's just some good ol' fashion hazing.

That or they prominently incorporate lace into their uniforms.

Archived