• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Rumor on Mizzou board is that WVU's application was rejected by SEC. I can't judge the accuracy of it (gswaim tweet, they say).

Not only did WVU fight against the South, they became their own separate state. 

My SEC friends say that is why they should not be in SEC.

Proves my earlier post about the SEC = Confederacy... Mizzou will get an invite, it was a Confederate State

Mizzou, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware were all slave states that stayed in the Union. West Virginia broke away from Virginia during the war.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Be careful what you wish for.  If the TX/OK schools stay, the BXII might just cherry-pick TCU/UC/UL or WVU if available, leaving us in even worse shape.

I believe they are at 10 teams currently, so they could take us all minus TCU, whom they've never really wanted in their conference anyway.  

They are at 10.  Subtract A&M, UT, TT, OU, and OSU.  That's five.  There are six teams left if the Big East, seven with TCU.  Let's assume that Rutgers and UConn bolt.  That leaves five including TCU.  So the remaining five in the Big XII invite our remaining five and get back up to 10 with the TV contract intact.  Or decide to add two more to get back to 12 with a conference title game that would possibly add revenue since no network is contracted for a title game for the conference.  You could sell that in a package with the uncovered third tier games possibly to NBC/Versus.  They could carry the non-Fox and non-ESPN games while NBC could broadcast the title game.  

• Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Be careful what you wish for.  If the TX/OK schools stay, the BXII might just cherry-pick TCU/UC/UL or WVU if available, leaving us in even worse shape.

Agreed, but it looks like OU and OSU are on their way out with or without Texas. If Texas and Texas Tech stay in the BigXII they might just add 3 teams (4 if Missouri leaves) from the pool of 7 in the remaining Big East and stay at 10. I think TCU and UL would be the first 2 picks, and I think the 3rd and 4th would be a toss up. This would leave either 3 or 4 teams left over from the current Big East. In fact, if any of the conferences still want to expand you could very well be left over with only 1 remaining Big East team.

I think the BigXII would be dumb to not take the entire Big East as a hedge for the future expecting the other conferences to pull from it on their move to 16.

I think Texas will keep the conference from being unified if their reason for staying is that they would not give into equal revenue sharing in the PAC.

I think it would be a stellar move if the Big East took all of the BigXII EXCEPT for Texas leaving them with their crappy network that set this whole thing in motion forcing them into give into equal revenue sharing and choose between the PAC or BigXII or independence. Because of time zone differences and for perceived conference dominance they might choose to stay in the Big XII.

Thinking about these outcomes really makes me realize how nobody really knows how this is all going to end.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I can't imagine why the SEC would reject West Virginia.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/13/wvu-ad-asks-fans-not-to-wear-f-bomb-shirt/

So, uh, yeah. Someone at West Virginia’s season-opening game against Marshall wore a shirt that said “West F—ing Virginiaâ€...In light of the incident, WVU athletic director Oliver Luck has sent out a letter asking that all fans who attend the Mountaineers’ next home game against LSU be on their best behavior.

Ok, maybe I can think of a reason or two...

Or three... ;D

http://deadspin.com/5840681/in-west-virginia-even-the-old-ladies-spit-on-opposing-football-players

• Content Count:  12,293

i remember seeing that guy in the West F'in Virginia shirt.  ESPN has a close up on him right before they went to commerical break.

• Content Count:  1,204

Agreed, but it looks like OU and OSU are on their way out with or without Texas. If Texas and Texas Tech stay in the BigXII they might just add 3 teams (4 if Missouri leaves) from the pool of 7 in the remaining Big East and stay at 10. I think TCU and UL would be the first 2 picks, and I think the 3rd and 4th would be a toss up. This would leave either 3 or 4 teams left over from the current Big East. In fact, if any of the conferences still want to expand you could very well be left over with only 1 remaining Big East team.

I think the BigXII would be dumb to not take the entire Big East as a hedge for the future expecting the other conferences to pull from it on their move to 16.

I think Texas will keep the conference from being unified if their reason for staying is that they would not give into equal revenue sharing in the PAC.

I think it would be a stellar move if the Big East took all of the BigXII EXCEPT for Texas leaving them with their crappy network that set this whole thing in motion forcing them into give into equal revenue sharing and choose between the PAC or BigXII or independence. Because of time zone differences and for perceived conference dominance they might choose to stay in the Big XII.

Thinking about these outcomes really makes me realize how nobody really knows how this is all going to end.

TCU won't get in the Big XII if Texas is there.  They'd be the main culprit in blocking them.  If UT stays then they need three teams to get back up to 10.  

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Not sure if this was posted yet since there are a bajillion pages to this thread.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32117287

Don't you dare try to copyright the latest (possible} conference on the horizon.

I'm calling it the Big Country.

CBSSports.com has learned that merger talks have heated up again between the Mountain West and Conference USA on a possible 22-to-24-team combination that would span the country and result in an automatic BCS bowl berth for the winner of the amalgamation.

As CBSSports.com initially reported, officials from each conference first discussed the arrangement last year. Each league would produce individual champions who would then play off in a championship game for the BCS berth. Officials from each conference have met recently on the subject CBSSports.com also learned.

There are complications. The Mountain West is still waiting to learn if it will receive temporary BCS status in 2012 and 2013 as a result of meeting a series of benchmarks over a four-year period that concludes after this season. Aside from that, with conference realignment in full swing, college athletics' first super, duper conference just might work. Assuming the remains of the Big East and Big 12 merge, there will be one less automatic BCS berth. The Big Country snatch that up, spanning from the Carolinas, Florida and Mississippi to Texas and the West Coast and Hawaii.

There were no details on how the champions in the individual conferences would be decided. Conference USA is a 12-team league, that is decided by a championship game between the two division winners. The Mountain West is currently an eight-team league that will be 10 teams in 2012. It is losing TCU to the Big East next year and getting Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno from the WAC. It's not clear if the conference would or could expand further to 12 teams.

"It would strengthen our league and give us more television sets," said an administrator from the possible Big Country. "I think it's a big picture thing for us."

Using the current configuration, think of a Boise State-Central Florida Big Country champ game for a berth in, say, Orange or Fiesta Bowl. Not sure how the Orange or Fiesta feel about that. That's another blog for another time.

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/28459283/Why-isnt-USF-a-legitimate-option-for-14-for-the-SEC.aspx

This was from the LSU message board debating why USF should be in.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Rumor on Mizzou board is that WVU's application was rejected by SEC. I can't judge the accuracy of it (gswaim tweet, they say).

Not only did WVU fight against the South, they became their own separate state. 

My SEC friends say that is why they should not be in SEC.

Proves my earlier post about the SEC = Confederacy... Mizzou will get an invite, it was a Confederate State

Mizzou, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware were all slave states that stayed in the Union. West Virginia broke away from Virginia during the war.

slavery has nothin to do with it... its all about who fought for who... Kentucky an Mizzou both fought for both sides, whereas Maryland was neutral.

• Content Count:  4,642

This is great, now this topic has digressed into the history of the Civil War..LOL

North: 1

South: 0

Halftime.

Archived