• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami NCAA investigation - NCAA hands out fines, suspensions to the 8 players

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Simple... it was posted on the main board(Not where it was supposed to be) and was merged with the existing thread on Miami(where it should have been posted in the first place).

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21,289
  • Days Won:  10

What a joke.  These players knowingly violated the rules but even though they are ineligible, they NCAA may re-instate them.

The person spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity yesterday because no one is authorized to discuss the ongoing investigations by the university and the NCAA. The person did not divulge how many current players have been linked to Shapiro, a convicted Ponzi scheme architect who is serving a 20-year prison sentence for bilking $930 million from investors.

Simply being declared ineligible now does not necessarily mean a player would miss any time this season. The Miami Herald first reported the decision to declare the players ineligible.

Under NCAA rules, when a school finds violations have occurred, the athlete typically is declared ineligible and the NCAA begins a reinstatement process. The NCAA will also decide if that player needs to miss any games. And the clock is running: Miami opens the season at Maryland Sept. 5.

“The school must declare the student-athlete ineligible and then can seek reinstatement,’’ NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn said.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2011/08/26/miami_may_face_violations/

• Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

didn't it take the ncaa like 24 hrs to reinstate cam newton for their bowl game  ::)

it wouldn't surprise me at all

They talk a tough game but it is all about money.  They are to afraid to impact that players to much even when they know what they are doing is wrong and still do it. 

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Chickillo actually wants to play on a big stage and where he can make it to the nfl and get a good education. Things he could never get at USF.

typical moron miami fan speak....

Lauding Miami's academic superiority, despite not having graduated from there. MM2k1 is a joke.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

one would think usf would have made inroads into miami area for top recruits by now

:D

I guess he did not see all of the goodies which UM has been doling out.  It is kind of hard to compete with that.  I am sure it did not just begin in 2002 btw.

usf cant even lock down surrounding counties by usf

what is the excuse there?

Whiny alumni, like yourself, that don't donate a nickle to the program. There's your excuse. Buck up, Hollywood Esquire, and donate some duckets like Nevin Shapiro was doing in Miami. Avoid the impropriety and play within the NCAA's rules and you'll be a big shot in Tampa too, Mazza, assuming you can even donate Shapiro-level, Chanel hand soap-style money. 

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

One of my friends is starting at Miami this year.

I feel for him. Good thing he doesn't really care much for football.

When you say "starting", do you mean starting classes or starting at a position in football?  lol

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I would be very surprised if they weren't allowed to play.  I bet the NCAA will not do anything to them.

I agree, I think they do nothing which will not deter crap like that from happening.  Reason that the criminals go play their.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—The fate of eight Miami players is now in the hands of the NCAA.

Miami coach Al Golden said Friday that the university has asked the NCAA to decide the eligibility of a number of football players—eight, a person with knowledge of the process told The Associated Press—who are believed to have committed violations in dealings with former booster Nevin Shapiro.

The stakes couldn’t be higher. Soon, those players deemed ineligible by the university will know when, or if, they will play for Miami this season.

Besides Harris, Spence and Benjamin, the other football players named by Shapiro for an article published by Yahoo Sports on Aug. 16 are Vaughn Telemaque, Ray Ray Armstrong, Aldarius Johnson, Marcus Forston, Olivier Vernon, Marcus Robinson, Adewale Ojomo, Dyron Dye and JoJo Nicholas.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-miami-ncaainvestigation

• Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

One of my friends is starting at Miami this year.

I feel for him. Good thing he doesn't really care much for football.

When you say "starting", do you mean starting classes or starting at a position in football?  lol

Starting classes.

Archived