• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greatest point ever: Matt Grothe's TD pass to Jessie Hester in USF's 2007 overti

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I was in Jordan-Hare in the nosebleed USF section on the opposite end of the stadium when that play went down, and I remember as soon as Hester caught it - pure pandemonium.  Although I enjoyed the effects of the FSU win a bit more, the Auburn game was a much better game (it was back and forth most of the night) and the OT win in SEC country was absolutely the best game I ever went to as a USF Bull.  I didn't get a chance to go to the WVU game in Tampa a few weeks later, but I will never forget the moment Hester caught that OT TD.  

The 80,000+ Auburn crowd was going nuts as we were moving the ball towards the goal in OT.  The place was madness.  As soon as Hester caught that pass you could have heard a pin drop.  The whole stadium, minus our cluster of 5,000 or so bulls fans went flat.  I remember seeing sorority girls crying after the game.  It was an awesome moment.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I was in the 200 level at Jordan-Hare. The noise level reached a new level on that play and as soon as the ball left Grothe's hand it went dead silent. When Hester caught it and crossed the goal line, there was a second delay from the USF fans as if we were in disbelief it had actually happened. Then our corner of the endzone exploded.  I don't remember how I got there, but I ended up on the front wall at ground level high-fiving the players. Then leaving the stadium, an usher told us congratulations and said that he had volunteered at JHS for 15 years and had never see such a small fan section cheer as loud as we did.

It was awesome.

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Well, it was before the Sun Bowl at the Grothe's home ... didn't feel right to leave my wife and daughter there as I ran out  ;D

LMAO

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I was in the 200 level at Jordan-Hare . . .  had never see such a small fan section cheer as loud as we did.

It was awesome.

Amazing experience at Auburn. The USF contingent was really raucous for that game. I was in the nosebleed 200's as well and we went absolutely nuts when Hester caught that ball and no penalty flags were thrown. I think the delay was to make sure the play didn't get called back for any stupid holding penalties before erupting. 

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Great day in USF football history.

Let's make some bigger plays this year.

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

Love the USF score in overtime against Miami.  That was sweet.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

Let's make some bigger plays this year.

Expecting them at Notre Dame

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I still say points against WVU were bigger than Auburn, but that's just me.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  108

I was in the 200 level at Jordan-Hare. The noise level reached a new level on that play and as soon as the ball left Grothe's hand it went dead silent. When Hester caught it and crossed the goal line, there was a second delay from the USF fans as if we were in disbelief it had actually happened. Then our corner of the endzone exploded.  I don't remember how I got there, but I ended up on the front wall at ground level high-fiving the players. Then leaving the stadium, an usher told us congratulations and said that he had volunteered at JHS for 15 years and had never see such a small fan section cheer as loud as we did.

It was awesome.

Remember that as well.  Followed by lots of hugs and high fives.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

I still say points against WVU were bigger than Auburn, but that's just me.

Definitely debatable but we don't score that TD @ Auburn, the WVU game doesn't mean nearly as much. We had beaten them in Morgantown the previous year so the win really wasn't a big shock ... and it's not like that win gave us the #2 ranking. A win AT an upper level SEC team's stadium, the dramatic fashion, the publicity ... I just think those are the points people will remember years from now .. and along that same vein, I'd say the points scored against Pitt in 2001 were bigger than WVU. That may have been the win that sealed our fate as far as the BE was concerned ... but it's all just opinions.

Archived