• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reports swirling USF lobbying hard for Houston / against UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

And if 'Nova's decision had no bearing on things, then the Big East would have already sent an invite out to who it wanted by now.

The bottom line is that 'Nova's decision absolutely has bearing on what the Big East does.

Not sure I am buying that Flip.....I mean....if the decision is to settle for UCF or UH let's say.....what would be the incentive to invite them before the June 30th Deadline?

What June 30th deadline? When the Big East made this announcement they wanted an answer by December 31, 2010. TCU came in before then and Villanova said they needed more time.

wouldn't that be when ucf would have to let CUSA know they were leaving in time to make the 2012 season?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

And if 'Nova's decision had no bearing on things, then the Big East would have already sent an invite out to who it wanted by now.

The bottom line is that 'Nova's decision absolutely has bearing on what the Big East does.

Not sure I am buying that Flip.....I mean....if the decision is to settle for UCF or UH let's say.....what would be the incentive to invite them before the June 30th Deadline?

What June 30th deadline? When the Big East made this announcement they wanted an answer by December 31, 2010. TCU came in before then and Villanova said they needed more time.

If UCF or UH were to be invited to the BE......they would have to apply for the change by the end of the athletic year. June 30th. If they were to miss that deadline.....then UCF or UH could not switch leagues until  the 2013 season....that would be the only true deadline anyone would face regarding the CUSA schools.

wouldn't that be when ucf would have to let CUSA know they were leaving in time to make the 2012 season?

Bingo*

I'd also like to see the link about all this positive pub that ESPN has given UCF lately because I sure haven't seen much.

it was on the front page of the espn ncaa football page:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6054589

and then there was this one:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/38616/george-oleary-on-ucf-success

Yeah and don't forget that ESPN Big East blogger Brian Bennett is pratically a UCF infomercial.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37052/tcu-ucf-show-they-belong-in-big-east

Also said this in his chat the other day:

Doug (Tampa)

BB Im one of ur biggest critics openly so I want to know if you consider yourself a journalist first and foremost . Reason I ask is you seem to be on this UCF train and everything points to you pushing for them, look at the blog u wrote today no mention of any other program to the BE Commish. I ask you what makes UCF the BEST program to enhance the BE (no mention of Notre Dame, Houston, Memphis, Kansas ect..)

Brian Bennett  (4:07 PM)

I am a journalist, but I'm also asked to give my opinion. And it's my opinion that UCF is the best, most ready-made option for expansion. The Knights have great, new facilities, a good market and just finished in the Top 25 after beating Georgia in a bowl. UCF is a much better option than Villanova, in my opinion

• Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

saw this on the TCU board, take it for what it's worth:

Shortly after the Bevo 10 formed, my wife and I visited a friend of her's in the Northeast. Her friend is an attorney working for a firm that does some work for the Big East. She mentioned TCU wasn't news any longer as it was just a matter of time til the announcement was made. THE NEWS! According to her, was the interest in the Big East by Mizz and KU (with KSU similar to "the tech problem"). They approached the Big East.

Apparently, they, like most, believe the Bevo 10 won't make it. Too much suspicion. The thought of being left out last Summer had them thinking proactive. The addition of those three along with TCU would provide stability in the event a team or two were poached from the BE.

Now, I see the BE saying they won't wait on Villanova and the MWC backing off expansion. According to our friend (who haapens to be quite hot by the way), talks are heating up and are clearly two way. I get the feeling, those three see NU as a hero for giving UT the middle finger and would like nothing better than helping send the Big 12 down while finding a permanent stable home.

The MWC angle has to do with the leftovers like BU, ISU and anywhere from 2-4 others. Hair standing pat is a result of this IMO. The timing is to the detriment of SJSU, USU, Idaho, etc. They were so close.

Will be fun to watch. I wonder if any other conference has so much hate for one of their own as the Bevo 10 has for UT?

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=131616&st=0

Shortly after the Bevo 10 formed, my wife and I visited a friend of her's in the Northeast. Her friend is an attorney working for a firm that does some work for the Big East. She mentioned TCU wasn't news any longer as it was just a matter of time til the announcement was made. THE NEWS! According to her, was the interest in the Big East by Mizz and KU (with KSU similar to "the tech problem"). They approached the Big East.

Apparently, they, like most, believe the Bevo 10 won't make it. Too much suspicion. The thought of being left out last Summer had them thinking proactive. The addition of those three along with TCU would provide stability in the event a team or two were poached from the BE.

Now, I see the BE saying they won't wait on Villanova and the MWC backing off expansion. According to our friend (who haapens to be quite hot by the way), talks are heating up and are clearly two way. I get the feeling, those three see NU as a hero for giving UT the middle finger and would like nothing better than helping send the Big 12 down while finding a permanent stable home.

The MWC angle has to do with the leftovers like BU, ISU and anywhere from 2-4 others. Hair standing pat is a result of this IMO. The timing is to the detriment of SJSU, USU, Idaho, etc. They were so close.

Will be fun to watch. I wonder if any other conference has so much hate for one of their own as the Bevo 10 has for UT?

Nice find 2000bull......that would be a much nicer option than what we have at present. Obviously, then Nova coming up could be a problem because then you don't have space for KSU.

I don't know what the numbers would look (TV contract wise) but couldn't you just facilitate KSU and bring ISU in also? Sure that takes you to 14/21 which sounds nuts but wouldn't that be a much nicer league than what we have at present or with Houston and/or UCF? This is what it would look like:

West

TCU

UofL

KSU

KU

MU

ISU

Cincy

East

USF

UWV

Rutgers

UConn

SU

Nova

Pitt

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

All of this UCF talk is making me queasy. It's annoying as hell on the one hand, and it's a joke on the other. I used to lean toward the idea that taking UCF would be a mild positive, because we certainly do hate each other, which would be one heck of a natural rivalry. But, thinking about it for a while, I now find it's hard to imagine a worse pick. Aside from when Daunte was there and ESPN's recent woodie for them, what national or even regional cachet do they bring? Nova is at least recognized for B Ball and academics. Houston's been in the media quite a bit over the years, have been ranked 15 times, and have been to over 20 bowls. Every other team mentioned in this thread seems to bring more to the table--history, tradition (even if they don't have much), etc.

Maybe it's the old "familiarity breeds contempt" thing but I'm about done hearing about UCF and won't mind if I never heard the school mentioned again. I would hope that the BE would consider its image, and by adding TCU it seems that it is. So I just don't see where UCF fits in here.

All of this UCF talk is making me queasy. It's annoying as hell on the one hand, and it's a joke on the other. I used to lean toward the idea that taking UCF would be a mild positive, because we certainly do hate each other, which would be one heck of a natural rivalry. But, thinking about it for a while, I now find it's hard to imagine a worse pick. Aside from when Daunte was there and ESPN's recent woodie for them, what national or even regional cachet do they bring? Nova is at least recognized for B Ball and academics. Houston's been in the media quite a bit over the years, have been ranked 15 times, and have been to over 20 bowls. Every other team mentioned in this thread seems to bring more to the table--history, tradition (even if they don't have much), etc.

Maybe it's the old "familiarity breeds contempt" thing but I'm about done hearing about UCF and won't mind if I never heard the school mentioned again. I would hope that the BE would consider its image, and by adding TCU it seems that it is. So I just don't see where UCF fits in here.

Good post.....I don't disagree....but you MAY want to prepare yourself in case they do become BE brothers. I am not saying it is going to happen....but they surely are in the mix and they do bring something to the table.

They argue....they bring a sizeable TV market, good facilities and a readiness to jump into the league.

Houston.....brings a bigger market....but their facilities and fan base aren't quite their yet. So you can make a case for them over UCF which I am sure USF is doing but they still have much to do even to get to where UCF is right now facility wise.

All bets would be off for Mizzou and Kansas.....they bring tradition, large fan bases, solid football and really good basketball. I can't even begin to imagine BE basketball with KU and Mizzou. Their problem of course is are they really a viable canidate. Would they make more money in the BE than in the Big 12 or would they be willing to forgo some money to get out from under Texas? Also, how could you include KSU and make everyone happy?

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Nice find 2000bull......that would be a much nicer option than what we have at present. Obviously, then Nova coming up could be a problem because then you don't have space for KSU.

I don't know what the numbers would look (TV contract wise) but couldn't you just facilitate KSU and bring ISU in also? Sure that takes you to 14/21 which sounds nuts but wouldn't that be a much nicer league than what we have at present or with Houston and/or UCF? This is what it would look like:

West

TCU

UofL

KSU

KU

MU

ISU

Cincy

East

USF

UWV

Rutgers

UConn

SU

Nova

Pitt

I'm not sure a 14-team league is the way to go, especially with the ones you mentioned.  Too many mouths to feed without a significant increase in revenues.  My guess it's 10 or 12.  The only way I could see going beyond 12 is if it were for schools in significantly large media markets, ie Georgia Tech, Miami, etc.

Archived