• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pull BJ now.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

If the young QB is so frail that he can't mentally deal with some wolves, he's not the future anyway, you learn that early and start over next year with open competition.

We just lost to Syracuse. What are our chances of winning with BJ? I think "best chance to win" is semantics at this point if BJ doesn't improve drastically. I'd give him most of the WVU game, go 2 QBs at Cincy, then you have an extra few days to prepare him to be the starter for the RU game at home. (all of this is assuming BJ doesn't improve a lot on Thursday).

If Holtz continues to start Daniels (and he will), then he probably didn't see any reason to believe anyone else at quarterback would have led the team to a win against Syracuse either.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Sorry folks, QB play doesn't get much worse than we've seen from BJ this year. So, you lose a year with Gunsby, I guess we will have to recruit another QB.

We've got two 3 star qb's already coming in so I think we do whatever we need to do THIS year to win ... Personally, though, I think BJ is the one that will turn things around .... fingers crossed.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

According to CSH, BJ does great in practice. Kind of reminds me of old kicker Mike Benzer, Eric Schwartz, he practiced well and stunk up the field on gameday. .aybe someone else-Eveld, Gunsby, or Eppes should get a try

Fixed

Sorry but i am talking about Mike Benzer the scholarship kicker who was replaced by a walk on who then went to North Texas? and Benzer left too.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

If the young QB is so frail that he can't mentally deal with some wolves, he's not the future anyway, you learn that early and start over next year with open competition.

We just lost to Syracuse. What are our chances of winning with BJ? I think "best chance to win" is semantics at this point if BJ doesn't improve drastically. I'd give him most of the WVU game, go 2 QBs at Cincy, then you have an extra few days to prepare him to be the starter for the RU game at home. (all of this is assuming BJ doesn't improve a lot on Thursday).

I couldn't disagree more. you think a kid that's been on campus for 2 months should be given the starting job with little to no knowledge of the system and almost no coaching at the college level. it would be a joke how bad this team would be.

when coaches give up on a season, the players aren't very far behind.

First, I'd like to point out that, the plan laid out would give BJ 2 more chances to prove that he can lead this team.

Now, I'd like to counter with 2 points...

1. One could argue that, by continuing to beat your head against a wall with a QB that isn't getting it done, presumably so that you can save a redshirt, is more of a sign of giving up on the season than making a change to try and create a spark. If the coach continues to allow his QB to play like BJ did on Saturday with no correction, I would have a hard time giving the coach and the QB all I have if I were on the team.

2. We just lost to freaking SYRACUSE...AT HOME...we scored THREE points on offense.

...point number 2 should be all you need.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I couldn't disagree more. you think a kid that's been on campus for 2 months should be given the starting job with little to no knowledge of the system and almost no coaching at the college level. it would be a joke how bad this team would be.

when coaches give up on a season, the players aren't very far behind.

First, I'd like to point out that, the plan laid out would give BJ 2 more chances to prove that he can lead this team.

Now, I'd like to counter with 2 points...

1. One could argue that, by continuing to beat your head against a wall with a QB that isn't getting it done, presumably so that you can save a redshirt, is more of a sign of giving up on the season than making a change to try and create a spark. If the coach continues to allow his QB to play like BJ did on Saturday with no correction, I would have a hard time giving the coach and the QB all I have if I were on the team.

2. We just lost to freaking SYRACUSE...AT HOME...we scored THREE points on offense.

...point number 2 should be all you need.

What if Gunsby is just totally obviously unprepared to play in a real game right now based on his performance in practice? How do you know that's not the case?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Then go with Eveld, or Landi, or Eppes, or the ghost of Amarri Jackson.

Bobby Cox pulled his second baseman today who had 8 errors in the last 7 games, if BJ's not getting it done, go with someone else. Yes, I think Gunsby is probably the best option, but, if like you say, he's not ready, then go with whoever is the most ready.

Here are some mid-august quotes from Greg...the part about BJ sounds familiar.

Quote from: Auman, Greg

"Right now we're a long way from being productive as an offensive football team," coach Skip Holtz said. "With the penalties and dropped passes and missing open receivers and inconsistencies in the passing game, it's very difficult to get anything into rhythm. We've got a lot of work to do right now, but I think the attitude is good and they're willing."

Daniels, running the No. 1 offense and coming back from offseason surgery on his nonthrowing shoulder, was off early, hitting one of his first 12 passes for 13 yards. He finished 7-of-22 for 70 yards, with a 20-yard run on his first play of the scrimmage.

"A little rusty; there's a lot of things I can definitely improve on to help the team," said Daniels, who rushed for a team-high 40 yards, with plays whistled dead when he was touched by a defender. "Defense usually comes along a little faster than offense, but we're getting better."

In the battle for the No. 2 quarterback job, freshman Jamius Gunsby looked sharp, going 12-of-17 for 169 yards, including a 58-yard bomb to receiver Faron Hornes that set up the only touchdown, a 4-yard run by redshirt freshman Bradley Battles.

"(Gunsby) handled himself very well; he's athletic, did some good things with his feet, stood in the pocket and made some nice throws," Holtz said. "He's had some passion, some energy about him. I thought he did a good job running the football team. … He can keep some things alive with his running ability."

...yes, it was training camp, and yes, it was meaningless, but, at least for that day, Gunsby didn't look completely clueless and unable to handle the team. Skip could have said a lot of things, but "he did a good job running the football team" is a pretty big compliment.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

According to CSH, BJ does great in practice. Kind of reminds me of old kicker Mike Benzer, Eric Schwartz, he practiced well and stunk up the field on gameday. .aybe someone else-Eveld, Gunsby, or Eppes should get a try

Fixed

Sorry but i am talking about Mike Benzer the scholarship kicker who was replaced by a walk on who then went to North Texas? and Benzer left too.

I knew that.  I was just pointing out another kicker than obviously does well in practice but has not seen it translate to success on the field - this year at least.

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

Man even last year my wife who is new to football said "he" (B.J.)" does not know what to do with the ball it is like stuck to his hand then he just trows it!" C'mon really? This has to stop this week! I really want to beat WVU bad at their house but the play calling qb play etc is horrible I hope this makes it to to the locker room because USF sucks right now!!!!!!!!!!!! Take it to the game use it.... Just tap it in just tap it... Happy. Well Morgan town sp? here we come.  Man I hope we keep it close my call USF 28 WVU 13.

• Content Count:  446
  • Days Won:  0

BJ will play QB for a while. If he doesn't improve I would hope they give someone else a shot.(Eveld)

I don't think he can do much worse. My worst fear is that if BJ plays the whole season and doesn't improve,

we will not have any luck landing any great WR (recruits). They know they will get few balls thrown at them correctly.

Not sure who we would have at WR next year after Love and Bogans leave. Griffin and ????? We would have at least 2

to 3 yrs off bad offense, without any  great WR. 

If I was a 4  /5 star  WR I would never look at playing at USF .... untill they find a QB who can throw he ball!!!!!!!!

Give BJ a few more games then enough is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Archived