• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BRADENTON HERALD: USF withdraws Carnes offer; Kinnan incensed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Expect some big names in the next 5 days, to pull a offer from both these players would support that.

They knew carnes most likely wasn't comming so why waste time with him that opens up his spot and Bellamy being pulled really

means a big name is interested, I don't think Holtz does that for just no reason.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It's a tough call, but Holtz just needs to explain that we are moving away from this style QB(it seems with the GA offer to the Drop Back Passer). It is better for Carnes if he wants to stay at QB in college.

Our recruiting base has widened.

Go BULLS !!!

I got that feeling too about moving to a more traditional QB. What does that mean for BJ?

I may be the only one, but I think BJ would be fine in a pro-set offense.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

BJ looked pretty good in the UCONN game and NIU game. Those gameplans were pretty close to prosets. As close as USF could get at least.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

BJ looked pretty good in the UCONN game and NIU game. Those gameplans were pretty close to prosets. As close as USF could get at least.

IMO, UConn was the best game of BJ's career so far.

I'll also take this time to speculate that USF's rushing offense next year will make us a final three team with James Wilder.  We'll lose out of course (the obligatory home team option that was probably never really in it), but we'll gain nice publicity from the recruitment circus (and Wilder's recruitment is going to be a Circus) and lay the foundation for a Plant HS/USF connection.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Quick Update on Carnes

Posted January 29, 2010 by Scott Carter

Updated Jan 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM

As soon as I filed my previous update on USF pulling its scholarship offer to Bradenton Manatee QB Brion Carnes, I got a call back from Manatee coach Joe Kinnan.

Kinnan is upset at USF for pulling the offer to Carnes so close to National Signing Day. He did get a call from Bulls coach Skip Holtz on Friday evening to apologize for some apparent miscommunication, but Kinnan said Manatee’s relationship with the program has been altered.

“I’m not real happy with USF,’’ he said. “We’ve got a strained relationship right now. We are as truthful as we can be in the process; you’ve got to be as truthful with us.’‘

Kinnan said that when Carnes visited USF two weeks ago—the first couple of days Holtz was on the job—that there was no mention of USF potentially running out of scholarships and not having one left for Carnes. However, Kinnan said that is how USF explained the situation to Carnes on Friday—that the program simply didn’t have enough scholarships remaining to still offer him one.

Carnes committed to USF months ago but had wavered publicly in that commitment of late, taking a visit to Nebraska last weekend and one to Western Kentucky this weekend.

Kinnan said despite Carnes appearing to be a “soft verbal’’ in recruiting terms, he was telling other programs that USF was where he was going. The good news for Carnes is that he passed up offers to make official visits to schools such as Clemson, West Virginia and Cincinnati to visit USF. So, he will have options—good options.

The bottom line: When a new coach takes over a program in the middle of recruiting season, it’s sort of like that old saying ‘All is fair in love and war.’

USF obviously cooled on Carnes once Holtz took over, and if Carnes was truly as committed to USF privately as Kinnan says, he should have made it very clear publicly as well to avoid the apparent miscommunication between the two sides.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/quick-update-on-carnes/

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Someone on HuskerBoard says Carnes has been a "silent verbal" to NU for two days now.  If this is true, Holtz was right and Kinnan looks like an idiot.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I hate all this prima- donna drama these kids try to create with the hats on signing day. I say good move coach Holtz. Kid wants to hold you hostage.....till signing day, just pull the schollie. See look ....drama over. So he is seriously going to put a Nebraska and a WKU hat on the table?!? Might as well add a James Madison hat while you are at it.  ;D

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/942245.html

There were rumors that Carnes commitment was softening even more, but Coach Kinnan told USFN that he would make a final decision after his visit and said “He’ll choose between USF, Nebraska, and WKU.â€

Apparently the Bulls didn’t want to wait for a decision and now when Brion makes his choice on signing day, a USF hat won’t be on the table.

• Content Count:  578
  • Days Won:  0

It's a tough call, but Holtz just needs to explain that we are moving away from this style QB(it seems with the GA offer to the Drop Back Passer). It is better for Carnes if he wants to stay at QB in college.

Our recruiting base has widened.

Go BULLS !!!

I got that feeling too about moving to a more traditional QB. What does that mean for BJ?

I may be the only one, but I think BJ would be fine in a pro-set offense.

Yeah he's definitely on record as saying he'd much rather throw than run. He will be a fun one to watch slinging the ball around.

I'm not buying into this whole idea that we're going to lose out on Manatee recruits in the future now. Their two leaders and stars were going to sign somewhere else this year. Most kids want to go play with their friends who can tell them what it's like to be in college. Not having Carnes and Sanders hurt our prospectus of getting recruits next year from their anyways. And maybe Kinnan can be like the Fort Scott CC coach in the future and lock kids out of his office so they can't fax their LOI's, lol.

I also don't blame Holtz for not keeping Sanders, Carnes or Chandler. Sanders was never committed here, even when Leavitt was here. He made distinct quotes about how cool it would be playing for Steve Spurrier. Chandler seemed like he verbaled to us out of spite from the fall out from Miami. He was already planning trips and he wasn't a lock by any means, again, even when Leavitt was here.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

]But as far as taking his team on their annual trip to a South Florida game, he said they will be going elsewhere.

May I suggest a place?

HELLROOM.jpg

Archived