• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BRADENTON HERALD: USF withdraws Carnes offer; Kinnan incensed

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,649
  • Days Won:  29

... What does that mean for BJ?

This will be a transition year and Daniels quit basketball to concentrate MORE on playing QB for Holtz.

I think it actually opens the door for Landi coming back for QB also in 2010.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

Coach Holtz withdrawing offers from a four star recruit, and then the same day also pulling Bellamy's scholarship, who until recently also was a four star recruit and was our best incoming running back as rated by Rivals and ESPN seems to suggest that Coach Holtz is making room to maneuver due to a limited amount of scholarships available.

To me this seems to be an indication that some big dogs (Green, Chandler, Robey,or others) might be coming to USF. That's the only way I can explain why he pulled offers from his two best offensive propsects on the same day. If some big names sign with USF Carnes and Bellamy will be quickly forgotten. But if they are replaced with low rated recruits I will be dumbfounded! The next 5 days are going to be very interesting!

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Good move Skip. This kid was was not as solid as we all thought he was, and Skip saw that. So I say good job, Skip. That 6'5 QB we have coming in has some real size, and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Also, for those of you questiong Skip, how about Terrance Mitchell switching his commitment from FSU to USF? Boo yah!

• Content Count:  509

Yes he did get Mitchell, and also Kaufman, but we have lost Carnes and Chandler (both 4 star recruits) and the Bellamys (two of them, one our best WR propsect and the other our best RB propsect). Also he wasn't able to convince Sanders to come to USF. I'm still waiting what Holtz can get done over the next 5 days since things can get better in a hurry, but so far I am unimpressed.

• Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

so you are not impressed by him getting Robinson to switch from FSU?

Carnes dug his own grave when he started acting like a primma donna and decided to go to NU,WKU, even after Coach visited him with his new OC and QB coach to reassured him. Then you had his asst coach talking BS about USF in the press. Sorry but Holtz cannnot talk about recruits in public. so if Kinnan wants to be pissed he needs to take acloser look at how his players, and assistants behaved in all of this.

As for who he replaces them with, we will have to wait and see until next couple of years and see who makes a bigger splash in the college football world.

Yes he did get Mitchell, and also Kaufman, but we have lost Carnes and Chandler (both 4 star recruits) and the Bellamys (two of them, one our best WR propsect and the other our best RB propsect). Also he wasn't able to convince Sanders to come to USF. I'm still waiting what Holtz can get done over the next 5 days since things can get better in a hurry, but so far I am unimpressed.

#1 Chandler is NOT lost yet

#2 Bellamy (WR) is a long shot at having any effect, as you will see in UL

#3 Bellamy (RB) we are over loaded at this spot with many similar types.

So stop looking at guys for their stars and more as whether they can be reliable and help in growing this program.

I'm sorry but who is Robinson? I though Mitchell was the only player we picked up from FSU.

I meant Mitchell and I relize that you had mentioned him but i will tell you thats a bigger get for our program than Ace or the Bellamys.

Ace wanted to go to the SEC and we were always a place to go if he didnt get that offer, thats why he never committed to our old staff.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

USF withdraws Carnes’ scholarship offer

by Dennis Maffezzoli

In a stunning move six days before National Signing Day, the University of South Florida withdrew its scholarship offer to Manatee High quarterback Brion Carnes.

Carnes had committed to attend South Florida on July 24, prior to the firing of head coach Jim Leavitt. Since Skip Holtz took over for Leavitt, offensive coordinator Mike Canales also was dismissed.

According to Manatee coach Joe Kinnan, South Florida informed Carnes of the move about 30 minutes after he arrived in Bowling Green, Ky., where he had an official scheduled visit with Western Kentucky.

South Florida also left a voice message on Kinnan’s office phone at the school, which did not endear the long-time coach.

“I’ve been doing this a long time and dealt with a lot of class programs before, and nothing like this has ever happened,†Kinnan said. “That is not how things are done. They never set a deadline or anything. They just said they were filled up.â€

After the dismissal of Leavitt and Canales, Carnes planned official visits to Nebraska and Western Kentucky, where former Manatee High standout Willie Taggert is the head coach and former Bayshore and Palmetto coach Raymond Woodie is an assistant.

Kinnan said there are about 15 other BCS schools that are interested in the multi-talented Carnes, among them are Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia and West Virginia.

But not the Bulls, Carnes’ choice to play if he elected to play in the Big East.

“Odds were he probably wasn’t going to go there anyway,†Kinnan said. “But I’ve lost a lot of respect for the South Florida program.â€

In leading the Hurricanes to the Class 5A State Final, Carnes completed 186-of-305 passes for 2,697 yards and 25 touchdowns this season.

During his four-year career as the starting quarterback, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Carnes threw for 6,386 yards and 49 touchdowns on 58 percent (474-for-812) accuracy.

Kinnan still expects Carnes to make a decision on college by Wednesday.

But as far as taking his team on their annual trip to a South Florida game, he said they will be going elsewhere.

This coach sounds like a whiney little *****. Ok Kinnan, so your QB wasnt going to come here after all, so whats the big deal? Carnes did what was right for him in visiting other schools and slowly pulling away from USF, so USF did what was right for USF and told the kid to take a hike. Big deal, this happens.

• Content Count:  1,757

Per Scott Carter

"Kinnan said despite Carnes appearing to be a “soft verbal’’ in recruiting terms, he was telling other programs that USF was where he was going."

This coach should quit complaining. Maybe if he advised his kid to be loyal to the program he wanted to go to all along, and quit playing games, this wouldnt have been an issue. Obviously Skip wants a different style of QB. I was never high on carnes, seems way smaller than BJ coming out of high school

Archived