• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIRE JIM LEAVITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  724
  • Days Won:  0

Why don't you go and find someone who in their first decade, with a starting program with a better record. I am sure you will find TONs with worse. Remember, first decade in team's existence. If you can find, say 5 with better records, you have a valid point. Got prove YOUR point.

we need to stop using the pre-Big East days as an excuse and a crutch for what's going on now..in Div II, I-AA, I-A indep, and CUSA, you can rack up wins by just recruiting superior athletes. i dont think anyone can argue that jim has done a decent job at that.. and in those leagues, you just put guys who are bigger and faster and they will win more than they lose.

but this is a BCS conference now-- and recruiting/athletes are a bit overrated.  why?  because everyone on this level gets good recruits.  it's all about player development and coaching strategies.  that's where jim lacks and brian kelly thrives.. and that's what makes him (brian kelly) a good coach.

Go find someone. You can't.

Why don't you go and find someone who in their first decade, with a starting program with a better record. I am sure you will find TONs with worse. Remember, first decade in team's existence. If you can find, say 5 with better records, you have a valid point. Got prove YOUR point.

we need to stop using the pre-Big East days as an excuse and a crutch for what's going on now..in Div II, I-AA, I-A indep, and CUSA, you can rack up wins by just recruiting superior athletes. i dont think anyone can argue that jim has done a decent job at that.. and in those leagues, you just put guys who are bigger and faster and they will win more than they lose.

but this is a BCS conference now-- and recruiting/athletes are a bit overrated.  why?  because everyone on this level gets good recruits.  it's all about player development and coaching strategies.  that's where jim lacks and brian kelly thrives.. and that's what makes him (brian kelly) a good coach.

Yeah, its nice coming USF to a program around for 60 more years, that has the added attraction of one of the nation's top Men's BB programs and is a top 25 research university ie First Tier, rather then 3rd Tier school. All things USF is NOT. Go look at the FIU and FIA and UCFs if you want more apples to apples. Nothing you write here is making Leavitt leave. But, you could move to Cincy.

It's not my job to find a coach, it's USFs.  And yes, you keep reverting back to the fact that Leavitt has built this program up so much in 13 years.  Yes, we know that and I am not taking anything away from that.  He will be a legend here forever for that.  However, we can't keep making excuses for mediocre play like "we're only 13 years old."  Palmer hit the nail on the head in the broadcast when he made that same statement.  If we want to compete with the big boys we have to win these games. 

Cincy is an old program but they still sucked before they came in to the big east.  We came in at the same time and look at the difference.  Are you really saying that cincy has gotten more talent than us?  No way.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

This board is becoming to predictably bi-polar. Win a few against some crappy teams and the expectations are a national championship. Lose one and you want to fire the head coach, close up shop and run for the hills. Hilarious. The only way that Leavitt goes anywhere is if he decides to. USF/Woolard/Genshaft will never, ever let him go. Program is to young to be cocky. If they let Leavitt go and he goes somewhere else and kicks our ass, recruiting will be out the door.

Bottom line, Leavitt has been doing this since before a lot of you were in junior high, I doubt that any of us knows more about football and this program than he does.

However, I'll give you this, donate 25 million of your own dollars to the school and I bet they at least think about it.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Look, I have not been happy with Leavitt's coaching over the past few years, but you act like there is some line of talented coaches at our door waiting for jobs.  Leavitt has three things that I do not see us getting right now with another coach:

1.  True love for the program.

That is no doubt why myself and many others let him slide so often.  Granted, that will only take you so far.

2.  Ability to do more with less.  Leavitt fields an overall successful team off the slimmest budget in the BCS.  Many other coaches would be far inferior if they didn't have the money to bring in million dollar assistants and spend millions on recruiting every year.

3.  Willingness to stick with the program next time Alabama or Kansas State comes knocking.  That won't happen with a successful small school coach who would use USF as a stepping stone.

You say it isn't your job to find a new coach, it is USF's job.  If that ideal coach isn't out there, then firing a coach based on what seems to be an emotional impulse on your part would not be advisable.

Look, I have not been happy with Leavitt's coaching over the past few years, but you act like there is some line of talented coaches at our door waiting for jobs.  Leavitt has three things that I do not see us getting right now with another coach:

That is no doubt why myself and many others let him slide so often.  Granted, that will only take you so far.

2.  Ability to do more with less.  Leavitt fields an overall successful team off the slimmest budget in the BCS.  Many other coaches would be far inferior if they didn't have the money to bring in million dollar assistants and spend millions on recruiting every year.

3.  Willingness to stick with the program next time Alabama or Kansas State comes knocking.  That won't happen with a successful small school coach who would use USF as a stepping stone.

You say it isn't your job to find a new coach, it is USF's job.  If that ideal coach isn't out there, then firing a coach based on what seems to be an emotional impulse on your part would not be advisable.

Not emotional impulse, just the same average results year after year.  We have a Div 2 coach here in Richmond that won the national championship last year and is ranked number 1 again this year....this guy actually knows how to win big games...leavitt does not.

Not emotional impulse, just the same average results year after year.  We have a Div 2 coach here in Richmond that won the national championship last year and is ranked number 1 again this year....this guy actually knows how to win big games...leavitt does not.

You are clueless for sure. You watch any games today? Well I think based on this thread and the the games I saw today that VT, Ohio St and Florida need to fire their coaches. Arkansas too. And Notre Dame. And OU. Fire all coaches. Start over. Leavitt, who "does not know how to win big games" is 5-1 against ranked opponents. Is there another board you can find to cry how the 5-1 Bulls need a new coach? Some board full of people that scream and rant when there is a loss, no matter who its against and what the team record is in THE CURRANT YEAR, Someone who points at the success of Div 2, Little League and Pop Warner coaches and says HOW CAN THEY DO IT AND WE CAN'T WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh my God you truly can't read or you choose not to read everything I say.  Let me try and be clear again.  I'll even put it in CAPS so you can see it better:

I AM NOT ASKING LEAVITT TO BE FIRED BECAUSE OF THIS ONE LOSS!!!  IT IS A CULMINATION (ooh big word for you, look it up) OF NOT ADVANCING THE PROGRAM AND BEING MEDIOCRE THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS!!!! 

Sure he has beaten ranked teams but beating Auburn and FSU doesn't win the big east.  It boosted up our rating for a short time but that means nothing if you finish the year playing in the pizza bowl.

You are clueless for sure. You watch any games today? Well I think based on this thread and the the games I saw today that VT, Ohio St and Florida need to fire their coaches. Arkansas too. And Notre Dame. And OU. Fire all coaches. Start over. Leavitt, who "does not know how to win big games" is 5-1 against ranked opponents. Is there another board you can find to cry how the 5-1 Bulls need a new coach? Some board full of people that scream and rant when there is a loss, no matter who its against and what the team record is in THE CURRANT YEAR, Someone who points at the success of Div 2, Little League and Pop Warner coaches and says HOW CAN THEY DO IT AND WE CAN'T WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh my God you truly can't read or you choose not to read everything I say.  Let me try and be clear again.  I'll even put it in CAPS so you can see it better:

I AM NOT ASKING LEAVITT TO BE FIRED BECAUSE OF THIS ONE LOSS!!!  IT IS A CULMINATION (ooh big word for you, look it up) OF NOT ADVANCING THE PROGRAM AND BEING MEDIOCRE THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS!!!! 

Sure he has beaten ranked teams but beating Auburn and FSU doesn't win the big east.  It boosted up our rating for a short time but that means nothing if you finish the year playing in the pizza bowl.

Oh, well let me put in caps my and everyone else's question about this theard.   WHY DID YOU START THIS POST AFTER THIS ONE LOSS???????? We are 5-1, have potential for a 10 or 11 win season with a bowl game.

This isn't the first time I've said this about Leavitt this season.  Sure potential is great but when we are back in Birmingham or st pete then I hope you come on here and sing praises of how great leavitt is  ::)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

OK, Fact Boy, to be entirely accurate, he is 21-20 against BCS schools since we turned BCS in 2005. Still around average, but considering the overall talent and faciliities he had to work with during that time, only a fool would call that underachieving. Going further, since we turned 1-A in 2001, USF is 47-36 against 1-A programs that are older than we are. Again, almost half those years, playing with players recruited out of trailers. Only a complete moron would call that underachieving. Fact is you're just a green and gold goggled whining clown who thinks just because we are the University of South Florida, we should have been a major player in the world of college football, if not the minute we went 1-A, the second we obtained BCS status. You have no concept of reality in your little world.

Having said that, is Brian Kelly a better coach than Leavitt? Evidence sure indicates that he is at this point in time.... but could Kelly take a program from NOTHING to a #2 ranking in a dozen years? Maybe, maybe not .... FACT is, Leavitt did.... but is he the one to take us to the next level? Honestly, I don't know ... What I do know is that having a 5-1 record, with a win over a battered in-state traditional power ... with that 1 loss just having come less than 24 hours earlier, at the hands of a top 10 team ... a loss that ended a ******* 5 game winning streak over ranked teams, this is not the time to be having a serious discussion about this unless you have deep rooted mental problems.

you and RichmondBull remind me of a Red Sox vs. Yankees fan or an Ohio State vs. Michigan fan.. RichmondBull (like a yankee or michigan fan) is not afraid to admit that their is something deficient in their team/program.. YOU (like a red sox or ohio state fan) refuse to believe that there is something wrong-- almost to the point of being delusional about it.

listen, man.  we all know what jim has done before the Big East.. YES, we credit him for getting us here.. but HERE is a different place, with different expectations, and different athletes, and more importantly, different coaches. so let's start the clock from the time we joined the big east-- we've been in a BCS conference for 5 years now.. so we cant use the excuse that we don't have talent.  and if you really want to compare apples to apples, UCONN, CINCY, and LOUISVILLE all joined the big east when we did and they have all won a conference title already.. so, from that aspect, they had the same amount of time to get BCS-level recruits that we have.

so calling people "complete morons" or having "deep rooted mental problems" doesn't change these facts-- and maybe you need to read Bulliever's thread about keeping it classy and not name-calling.

does jim leavitt get credit for building this program from the ground up to what it is today-- ABSOLUTELY.  HOWEVER: do they give out awards for building programs? NOPE.

Obviously, you didn't read my whole post or simply have a reading comprehension problem. I fully admitted that I wasn't sure myself if CJL was the one to take us to the next level but the facts are that we are halfway thru the season with a 5-1 record. If you and your attention whore buddy, M-A-B, want to whine like little girls after what you consider a disappointing season, knock yourself out .... but to do it now, makes you both look like complete morons with deep rooted mental problems...

So Richmondbull, if you were a Gator fan, would you put this thread up today? After the Miss St or Auburn losses? Or if you were a VT fan, would you want to fire Beamer today? I mean those teams made tons of mistakes. Texans and OU, tons of mistakes. You would want to fire Stoops right, I mean, he can't keep his QB healthy  so he MUST have to go right? I mean,  USF has a better record then OU and VT, those guys HAVE to go right?

No because those coaches have proven that they can lead a team to a conference championship.  What has leavitt done?  3rd place one year? Awesome! :-\

• Content Count:  1,777

I am certainly not calling for the firing of Jim Leavitt. But it is getting more challenging for me to call him a good coach.  Lets call a spade a spade. Jim is good for atlesst one "Big Win" a year but turns around and has more than one "Let Down" against equivalent or less than equivalent teams. In the past he said the reason was lack of depth, this year he said he has depth.

FYI USF Big East Record:

2005 4-3

2006 4-3

2007 4-3

2008 2-5

2009 1-1 (Any predictions)

If I go through the trouble I will probably find that since 2005 USF has a losing record against teams with winning records.

At best right now Leavitt is an average coach who coaches with passion.  Unfortunately passion can only take someone so far.  The real success will come when Jim Leavitt as a coach can get the players mentally prepared and ready to execute in order to win.

So Richmondbull, if you were a Gator fan, would you put this thread up today? After the Miss St or Auburn losses? Or if you were a VT fan, would you want to fire Beamer today? I mean those teams made tons of mistakes. Texans and OU, tons of mistakes. You would want to fire Stoops right, I mean, he can't keep his QB healthy  so he MUST have to go right? I mean,  USF has a better record then OU and VT, those guys HAVE to go right?

No because those coaches have proven that they can lead a team to a conference championship.  What has leavitt done?  3rd place one year? Awesome! :-\

That was the past, not the present. They get a bye? You give a pass to what happens now because of what those coaches did in the past and chuck what is happening now out the window? You must have wanted the Bucs to keep Gruden forever because of that Super Bowl win. Awesome!

It was the past but the past tells that these coaches can win the most important games.  Where has leavitt done this?  How many years are you going to give him to get it done?

Archived