• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Matt calls it like he sees it - Fan Behavior

SANJAY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,474
  • Days Won:  0

Velcro

Your half stories and unnamed sources are laughable.

First, Velcro has not said the KU game has already affected scheduling... he said if this continues it will affect scheduling.  Which is true.  Fans talk to their AD, their AD talks to other ADs, etc.  Sure, fan experience is not the ONLY reason to schedule or not schedule a team... but you would be crazy to think it has zero impact.

You know USF fans told Doug Woolard how great the trip to Auburn was... and I am sure Woolard has called Auburn to touch on the subject of a 1-1 sometime in the next decade...  I also know that USF fans have told Doug how bad the experience was with UCF fans... adding another reason to the "why we won't play them" list.

Now, if you don't believe this kind of things really happens, then Velcro telling you where he rec'd the information probably won't convince you anyway.

So are you saying a couple Kansas fans came forward and exaggerated about their "bad experience" because they're scared to play us again?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,738

I've only joined this thread at its end, but it is clear to me why we have a problem in the stadium.  We seem more likely to argue it out than to fix it.

Can we all just sign on to not only support our Bulls at RJS, but to support what our program stands for?  Velcro and Jim are only trying to help you understand the issue.  There is no denying some issues have arisen. 

It's time to get on board with the Respect-a-Bull program and whatever other initiatives are rolled out.  We need to foster a better environment at our games.  Please join me in focusing our collective energy towards resolving some of these issues by putting our heads together.  Let's hold off on the sarcasm and attacks. 

Some people here at TheBullsPen do have good relations with some people at USF.  There is no need to doubt that what they are saying is simply made up or a knee-jerk reaction to things.  We should be thinking that if any of it is true, we have a problem.  Let's focus on agreeing that the environment could be better.  We all need to do whatever we can to ensure it is.  I am sure that as good ideas are surfaced here, the good folks at USF will know about them.

How about a little teamwork and respectfulness here?

the half stories and innuendos of sources are just as bad as the problem itself

it doesnt fix anything.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I've only joined this thread at its end, but it is clear to me why we have a problem in the stadium.  We seem more likely to argue it out than to fix it.

Can we all just sign on to not only support our Bulls at RJS, but to support what our program stands for?  Velcro and Jim are only trying to help you understand the issue.  There is no denying some issues have arisen. 

It's time to get on board with the Respect-a-Bull program and whatever other initiatives are rolled out.  We need to foster a better environment at our games.  Please join me in focusing our collective energy towards resolving some of these issues by putting our heads together.  Let's hold off on the sarcasm and attacks. 

Some people here at TheBullsPen do have good relations with some people at USF.  There is no need to doubt that what they are saying is simply made up or a knee-jerk reaction to things.  We should be thinking that if any of it is true, we have a problem.  Let's focus on agreeing that the environment could be better.  We all need to do whatever we can to ensure it is.  I am sure that as good ideas are surfaced here, the good folks at USF will know about them.

How about a little teamwork and respectfulness here?

the half stories and innuendos of sources are just as bad as the problem itself

it doesnt fix anything.

Your whining doesn't fix anything...

Our message does.  Just ignore it if you don't want to help. 

• Content Count:  3,827

Big...thats not his place to stop warm ups to go over get a cop and tell him...but when asked if he saw anything he was honest...I really dont like the doobie comment......you have to ask your self a question

1. Do you agree with the stuff that was reported that happend at the game?   pretty bad when his own fans dont stand behind him...just sad  but oh well thats what these boards are for.

It has nothing to do with the fans standing behind him or not. Sounds to me like he's not standing behind his fans.

Ask him how many people heard, saw, or even were aware of the specific "incident" he mentioned. His answer might shed some light.

I'll reiterate my opinion from page 6: mountain out of a molehill.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Velcro, I'm sorry . . . I didn't realize that this post had reached this proportion.  

We've had a lot of dialog in the past week with donors and season ticket holders about the fall-out from the KU game, including Velcro and others who post regularly on this board and who are involved with the Bulls Club.   We are concerned, and we are taking this seriously.   While universities can take administrative measures to address some issues, the ultimate power to determine the culture of a fan base lies with the fans.    This is not an issue unique to USF--sportsmanship in the college environment is a national discussion--but we certainly are not immune.   Reputation does matter . . . it matters in scheduling, in conference relationships, in our efforts to sell out Raymond James Stadium, and in recruiting, just to name a few.   It especially matters for a young institution whose national reputation is being defined in the here and now, not from centuries of history.   

Regardless of what you do or don't believe happens at games, why wouldn't we want to work together to help develop a reputation as hospitable fans . . as people who know how to have fun, support the Bulls, and practice good sportsmanship too?  Why wouldn't we want visitors to leave here wanting to make a return trip?  I certainly respect everyone's right to draw their own conclusions . . . but I'm awfully grateful to those who have expressed an interest in making us better.    The Respect-a-Bull Campaign was started by a group of alumni and students to remind everyone that WE are USF, and that how we conduct ourselves matters; to make the point that there's no place for cheap shots, on the field or off.    It's a young effort and will certainly grow.  In the end, however, it will be the actions of each of us that will tell the tale.    We are what we do, individually and collectively.   Fans can make a difference in that perception.

I'm not the spokesperson on this issue, but I have spent much of the past week talking with donors and season ticket holders--dialog not unlike what's taking place on this board.  I am not ashamed to ask people who care to take the extra effort to show a friendly, sportsmanlike face to other fans, visiting or otherwise.  If that's not comfortable for others, that's okay too.  As long as we're able to have fun without insulting others, we'll be in good shape.  

There's no "anonymous" strategy here . . . just good people who care about the issues and who are protecting private conversations with me.  

Thanks to everyone.  Dialog really is a good thing. 

Best,

Vicki

Thank you Vicki... now the "anonymous" BS can stop. 

Vindication :)

• Content Count:  1,037

What more do you need to hear about it I mean it pretty much says it all.........its over and done but the ones that are doing it please have some respect for your school and team please by treating everyone with respect...thats all I am saying ...do unto others as you would want them to do to you....thats it....im done...should not have even got on here and read this cause it seems they all go south real fast  oh well enjoy..!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

Big...thats not his place to stop warm ups to go over get a cop and tell him...but when asked if he saw anything he was honest...I really dont like the doobie comment......you have to ask your self a question

1. Do you agree with the stuff that was reported that happend at the game?   pretty bad when his own fans dont stand behind him...just sad  but oh well thats what these boards are for.

It has nothing to do with the fans standing behind him or not. Sounds to me like he's not standing behind his fans.

Ask him how many people heard, saw, or even were aware of the specific "incident" he mentioned. His answer might shed some light.

I'll reiterate my opinion from page 6: mountain out of a molehill.

LOL ...... So was it you or one of your group yelling at her?

• Content Count:  765

The bottom line is we want to be seen as classy like Auburn fans instead of just like the jerks at UCiF.  "Just like UCif" is quote I have seen and that stinks.  We need to act like winners not the losers to the east. 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Actually, he is standing behind his fans. I am sure there are not many fans who knew of this behavior and if it may have existed before. Now we know and can be on the lookout for imbeciles like this and get on their case about being so disrespectful. There is no reason whatsoever for that type of treatment to opposing teams, fans, cheerleaders, etc.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

and if that idiot was repeatedly harassing the cheerleaders during warmups, why didn't he pull one of those troopers aside and point the guy out?

i guess Matt wasn't THAT much of a hero, because he would rather wait until AFTER the game where he can complain to the media after the fact rather than tell someone who can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT while it's happening.

Or maybe the fans in the South endzone should have said something to the guy, which is really what all of this is about ... and the fact that you can't seem to grasp that speaks volumes about the uphill battle USF Athletics is facing with this.

hey big man, what part of THE REST OF US DIDN'T HEAR OR SEE THE SH** YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT don't you understand???

that is the crux of the situation here.

the vast majority of us didn't see or hear any of this outlandish, severe "abuse" that is being implied here...

hell, even Velcro and the gossip-mongers screaming about how the sky is falling and the USF football program will never be able to schedule anybody to a home game again didn't even see it... THEY are going off second or third hand accounts as well.

if Matt repeatedly heard someone in the stands abusing Kansas cheerleaders, he could have EASILY taken 20 seconds to step up to a trooper and point them out.

instead, he chose to tell the media--- which is NOTORIOUS for sensationalizing isolated incidents and exaggerating them into "widespread problems"--- after the fact, which had ZERO impact on the situation at the stadium.

it defies logic that you expect people who didn't even HEAR the **** being said to somehow telepathically know what was going on and report it to TSA, yet you hold Matt--- the guy who actually heard it--- to absolutely zero standards.

how does that make sense?

Archived