• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Matt calls it like he sees it - Fan Behavior

SANJAY

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

We are simply trying to get the message out that there was behavior at the game that will not be tolerated, or should not be tolerated. 

If you are already part of the solution, thank you.  There is no need to argue over every thing else.  The reputation of USF IS being damaged.  USF IS being compared to UCF.  It IS ALREADY impacting our ability to schedule future games.

It's a fact.  Deal with it.  Shooting the messenger doesn't solve the problem.

Data and Velcro - I think you know from previous posts that I am on your side, and you are simply relating a message, however....

If so many people are saying that they did not see all this outrageous behavior, then can somebody explain exactly what DID happen???

I sit in the donor areas and tailgate in the donor lots and saw nothing.  Again, I am not saying it didn't happen.

I am not asking to know who your source is, but you have to understand... If someone tells you "trust me it happened" and "I cant't tell you who told me"  wouldn't you be a little skeptical?

Bottom line - What happened that was so outrageous that, as you say, it is affecting our ability to schedule?

I understand the skeptism (just not the vitriol that a couple are displaying)...

The problem is that we have been asked to not divulge that specific information on this public forum until a something formal can be written up (which you will likely see soon), but to spread the word about being respectabull and try to stress how negative press like this can affect scheduling. 

Athletics wants to address this in the most appropriate way possible, and that means being very careful of not divulging too much on the wrong type of medium.  Some people can't/won't accept that, but they can whine and complain and nothing will change.   When the details are released, it'll make sense... but in the mean time, i will continue to play the bad guy (at least to those folks) and I'm fine with that. 

I know the level-headed people on here at least understand that not every piece of info can be released when they want it. 

We appreciate the "want to know" sentiment of people, and all I can say is that when I promise to spread the message and not reveal the source of the message until they can come up with something formal, that is what I am going to do.

Ok Velcro this will be my last post on this subject...maybe ;)

I understand you being asked not to divulge who said it or how specifically it has affected scheduling, but are you telling me that the "powers that be" are saying don't tell anybody what happened??

It just seems to me with all the video cell phones, etc.  that if there was some huge blow up then it would be all over youtube and the like...

Ok I will go back to discussing thinks that aren't quite as divisive now..."About that OCS..." :)

• Content Count:  4,738

Velcro

Your half stories and unnamed sources are laughable.

Velcro

First, Velcro has not said the KU game has already affected scheduling... he said if this continues it will affect scheduling.  Which is true.  Fans talk to their AD, their AD talks to other ADs, etc.  Sure, fan experience is not the ONLY reason to schedule or not schedule a team... but you would be crazy to think it has zero impact.

You know USF fans told Doug Woolard how great the trip to Auburn was... and I am sure Woolard has called Auburn to touch on the subject of a 1-1 sometime in the next decade...  I also know that USF fans have told Doug how bad the experience was with UCF fans... adding another reason to the "why we won't play them" list.

Now, if you don't believe this kind of things really happens, then Velcro telling you where he rec'd the information probably won't convince you anyway.

• Content Count:  4,738

Velcro

First, Velcro has not said the KU game has already affected scheduling... he said if this continues it will affect scheduling.  Which is true.  Fans talk to their AD, their AD talks to other ADs, etc.  Sure, fan experience is not the ONLY reason to schedule or not schedule a team... but you would be crazy to think it has zero impact.

You know USF fans told Doug Woolard how great the trip to Auburn was... and I am sure Woolard has called Auburn to touch on the subject of a 1-1 sometime in the next decade...  I also know that USF fans have told Doug how bad the experience was with UCF fans... adding another reason to the "why we won't play them" list.

Now, if you don't believe this kind of things really happens, then Velcro telling you where he rec'd the information probably won't convince you anyway.

Velcro has some horror stories from the game but cant share

He has sources he cant share.

Nothing to add.

What can you share?  Hmm

• Content Count:  1,037

Big...thats not his place to stop warm ups to go over get a cop and tell him...but when asked if he saw anything he was honest...I really dont like the doobie comment......you have to ask your self a question

1. Do you agree with the stuff that was reported that happend at the game?  pretty bad when his own fans dont stand behind him...just sad  but oh well thats what these boards are for.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

Velcro

Velcro has some horror stories from the game but cant share

He has sources he cant share.

Nothing to add.

What can you share?  Hmm

I've only joined this thread at its end, but it is clear to me why we have a problem in the stadium.  We seem more likely to argue it out than to fix it.

Can we all just sign on to not only support our Bulls at RJS, but to support what our program stands for?  Velcro and Jim are only trying to help you understand the issue.  There is no denying some issues have arisen. 

It's time to get on board with the Respect-a-Bull program and whatever other initiatives are rolled out.  We need to foster a better environment at our games.  Please join me in focusing our collective energy towards resolving some of these issues by putting our heads together.  Let's hold off on the sarcasm and attacks. 

Some people here at TheBullsPen do have good relations with some people at USF.  There is no need to doubt that what they are saying is simply made up or a knee-jerk reaction to things.  We should be thinking that if any of it is true, we have a problem.  Let's focus on agreeing that the environment could be better.  We all need to do whatever we can to ensure it is.  I am sure that as good ideas are surfaced here, the good folks at USF will know about them.

How about a little teamwork and respectfulness here?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,590
  • Days Won:  424

and if that idiot was repeatedly harassing the cheerleaders during warmups, why didn't he pull one of those troopers aside and point the guy out?

i guess Matt wasn't THAT much of a hero, because he would rather wait until AFTER the game where he can complain to the media after the fact rather than tell someone who can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT while it's happening.

Or maybe the fans in the South endzone should have said something to the guy, which is really what all of this is about ... and the fact that you can't seem to grasp that speaks volumes about the uphill battle USF Athletics is facing with this.

• Content Count:  269

Velcro, I'm sorry . . . I didn't realize that this post had reached this proportion. 

We've had a lot of dialog in the past week with donors and season ticket holders about the fall-out from the KU game, including Velcro and others who post regularly on this board and who are involved with the Bulls Club.  We are concerned, and we are taking this seriously.  While universities can take administrative measures to address some issues, the ultimate power to determine the culture of a fan base lies with the fans.    This is not an issue unique to USF--sportsmanship in the college environment is a national discussion--but we certainly are not immune.  Reputation does matter . . . it matters in scheduling, in conference relationships, in our efforts to sell out Raymond James Stadium, and in recruiting, just to name a few.  It especially matters for a young institution whose national reputation is being defined in the here and now, not from centuries of history.   

Regardless of what you do or don't believe happens at games, why wouldn't we want to work together to help develop a reputation as hospitable fans . . as people who know how to have fun, support the Bulls, and practice good sportsmanship too?  Why wouldn't we want visitors to leave here wanting to make a return trip?  I certainly respect everyone's right to draw their own conclusions . . . but I'm awfully grateful to those who have expressed an interest in making us better.    The Respect-a-Bull Campaign was started by a group of alumni and students to remind everyone that WE are USF, and that how we conduct ourselves matters; to make the point that there's no place for cheap shots, on the field or off.    It's a young effort and will certainly grow.  In the end, however, it will be the actions of each of us that will tell the tale.    We are what we do, individually and collectively.  Fans can make a difference in that perception.

I'm not the spokesperson on this issue, but I have spent much of the past week talking with donors and season ticket holders--dialog not unlike what's taking place on this board.  I am not ashamed to ask people who care to take the extra effort to show a friendly, sportsmanlike face to other fans, visiting or otherwise.  If that's not comfortable for others, that's okay too.  As long as we're able to have fun without insulting others, we'll be in good shape. 

There's no "anonymous" strategy here . . . just good people who care about the issues and who are protecting private conversations with me. 

Thanks to everyone.  Dialog really is a good thing. 

Best,

Vicki

Archived