• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Matt calls it like he sees it - Fan Behavior

SANJAY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

this has nothing to do with the sentinal article... although that certainly doesn't help.

fine, you didn't see anything... but it doesn't matter if YOU didn't see anything.

There is no denying that this stuff DID happen and it isn't a few chicken littles... it is a few people that were asked by USF Athletics to spread the word about how important this is.  We are between a rock and a hard place b/c we can't site actual sources which means we have to put up with nonsense like this from people like you that reject it without a source.  I am an administrator of this board and if I am lying about this, may Brad take away my board privileges for ever... i can say that b/c he also knows I am telling the truth about this situation.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

fine, you didn't see anything... but it doesn't matter if YOU didn't see anything.

There is no denying that this stuff DID happen and it isn't a few chicken littles...

ironic that just a page ago u were defending the Auburn fans using the exact opposite logic:

if it was happening, we'd be hearing about it

so if we don't hear about bad Auburn fans, Velcro says it must not have happened...

but despite the fact that the vast majority of people on this forum did not see any of the horrible abuse to the degree that everyone is flapping about, nor do they know anybody that saw any of it, we are still being expected to believe that it is some enormous widespread problem?

whoever is talking anonymously "inside athletics" is overexaggerating.  they are taking the complaints of a few people and blowing it up  to make it seem that the whole crowd was full of drunken, violent thugs, and that was NOT the case.

like ANY crowd, there were a few bad apples, and if those few bad apples were not dealth with in the game, that is not an issue that needs to be taken up with Administrators of a message board forum like this that caters to fans who are NOT bad apples...

it is an issue that USF Athletics needs to take up with RayJay and the TSA to better do their jobs, to make sure that people being violent and threatening are quickly dealt with and removed.

if all this crazy **** was going on throughout the game, then it is TSA that was not doing their job, and not something that can be solved by "spreading the word" on TheBullsPen.com.

Umm... you don't read very well, or missed the OTHER thread from the kansas fan... I changed my stance after talking to USF athletics... realizing how WRONG I WAS to make that statement. 

After talking with people about what happened, I realized that me not seeing anything bad didn't mean a ton of bad stuff didn't happen.. it just didn't happen in earshot of me.

why are you in such denial?  were you one of the ones starting trouble?  I would hope not, but i can't see any reason for you to be so gung ho against this message.

trying to use a quote I made and quickly retracted to negate my whole message is childish... you belong in politics.

And it SHOULD be taken up with us b/c we have the ability to reach a large amount  of people and spread the message... the message is meant for those that ARE THE GOOD APPLES to get them to take even more ownership in the program and help prevent the bad apples from getting bad in the first place.... what about this is so tough to understand? 

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Regardless, USF athletics has already said what you are getting at.

There was another thread where Eric S. said fan behavior impacts scheduling and we should see new efforts soon.

However, the launch of the 'respect' program completely confirms a "problem" for the world--whether or not there is one.

The word/issue is already out there, and it was put out there by athletics.

Regardless, USF athletics has already said what you are getting at.

There was another thread where Eric S. said fan behavior impacts scheduling and we should see new efforts soon.

However, the launch of the 'respect' program completely confirms a "problem" for the world--if there is one.

The word/issue is already out there, and it was put out there by athletics.

Right, and it only got amplified by this past friday.

The message is that we, the good guys, can be part of the solution.  If you don't want to be part of the solution... just sit back and ignore the message, but there is no purpose to disputing this as it is for the best of our program to instill more ownership in how our fan base acts.  We can do this... we can take back our reputation, and even if for some reason, you think it isn't damaged... then at the very least, we can keep it good... so no matter what your P.O.V. is... there is zero reason to resist the message.

Bully, you need to consider this...

1) Fans who travel tend to have close relations with their athletic departments... many are boosters or family members of players.  Yes, there are exceptions but I would say it's more likely a visiting fan has some kind of tie to the visiting school's athletic department.

2) When fans experience bad behavior, they don't always report it to media OR post it on message boards.  Sometimes, they just talk amongst each other and report their experiences.  Since there is a good chance they have a tie to athletics (see #1 above), chances are they've reported it to the athletic department.

3) The visiting school's athletic department won't run to the media.  That is not how it's done.  They will, however, tell their fellow conference mates about it.  They may report it back to USF as well.

4) Schools fan bases develop reputations -- it can't be helped.  With NEWS MEDIA reporting on USF fans' behavior, you can bet fans of other schools are seeing this.  Not just Big East mates for 2008, but others as well.

You may not want to see it, but our fans have an impact on USF's future... I would bet we won't be seeing a Big 12 team anytime soon.  Heck, I can tell you that BOWL COMMITTEES are reading these reports (not here, but in the Trib or the Kanas papers).  So they have something else to consider when deciding between USF and another team for their bowl.

Finally, I must add: if it happens at all that is a bad thing.  So we must do everything in our power to make sure it never happens.  Not even once.  Saying it happens elsewhere doesn't matter because we want to be BETTER than elsewhere.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

whoever is talking anonymously "inside athletics" is overexaggerating.  they are taking the complaints of a few people and blowing it up  to make it seem that the whole crowd was full of drunken, violent thugs, and that was NOT the case.

if all this crazy **** was going on throughout the game, then it is TSA that was not doing their job, and not something that can be solved by "spreading the word" on TheBullsPen.com.

No one is exaggerating. No one is saying behavior was so bad that people's lives were in danger, but things need to turn around in a hurry.  We've had a large increase in attendance over a short period of time.  Fans need to exhibit proper behavior, the stadium isn't a frat house.  Getting in the face of fans, especially children, because of the color of their shirt is not acceptable.  USF won't tolerate it.

• Content Count:  1,113

Leaving the game Friday night Z-Bull and I experienced a classless act among some of the younger bull's fans.  They started chanting "Over-rated".  Several of us got in to their faces and told them to shut up.  The classic comment was, "why we won didn't we?"  We told them we barely won and that our opponent had a darn good team and we had no reason to talk like that.  We even apologised to some of the KU fans that were walking down the ramp at that time.  

Even coming in for the game a young fan made a wise crack to one of the older KU fans and the gentleman looked at him and said" I expected that to be coming from someone like you." Then just shook his head.  Fortunately we were nearby and walked up to the fans and thanked them for coming and said we hope to see a good game.  So hopefully that memory was etched in their mind vs. the stupidity of youth.

Well said Jim, and Data...

no matter how big each individual thinks the problem is... they can all do their part to make our reputation better than it is now... and reputation does play a critical role in scheduling.

The message is that we, the good guys, can be part of the solution.  If you don't want to be part of the solution... just sit back and ignore the message, but there is no purpose to disputing this as it is for the best of our program to instill more ownership in how our fan base acts.  We can do this... we can take back our reputation, and even if for some reason, you think it isn't damaged... then at the very least, we can keep it good... so no matter what your P.O.V. is... there is zero reason to resist the message.

This is a great post, Velcro.

If you think we have a problem... then join this solution.

If you don't think we have a problem... then relax and move on, let us work to protect the environment.

You have to realize that when USF's image is tarnished... it affects you.  You get lumped in with the "bad apples"... more importantly, it reduces the value of your degree.

"...the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back."

-- Herb Brooks, Miracle

Archived