• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Matt calls it like he sees it - Fan Behavior

SANJAY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Velcro, I'm sorry . . . I didn't realize that this post had reached this proportion.   

We've had a lot of dialog in the past week with donors and season ticket holders about the fall-out from the KU game, including Velcro and others who post regularly on this board and who are involved with the Bulls Club.   We are concerned, and we are taking this seriously.   While universities can take administrative measures to address some issues, the ultimate power to determine the culture of a fan base lies with the fans.    This is not an issue unique to USF--sportsmanship in the college environment is a national discussion--but we certainly are not immune.   Reputation does matter . . . it matters in scheduling, in conference relationships, in our efforts to sell out Raymond James Stadium, and in recruiting, just to name a few.   It especially matters for a young institution whose national reputation is being defined in the here and now, not from centuries of history.   

Regardless of what you do or don't believe happens at games, why wouldn't we want to work together to help develop a reputation as hospitable fans . . as people who know how to have fun, support the Bulls, and practice good sportsmanship too?  Why wouldn't we want visitors to leave here wanting to make a return trip?  I certainly respect everyone's right to draw their own conclusions . . . but I'm awfully grateful to those who have expressed an interest in making us better.    The Respect-a-Bull Campaign was started by a group of alumni and students to remind everyone that WE are USF, and that how we conduct ourselves matters; to make the point that there's no place for cheap shots, on the field or off.    It's a young effort and will certainly grow.  In the end, however, it will be the actions of each of us that will tell the tale.    We are what we do, individually and collectively.   Fans can make a difference in that perception.

I'm not the spokesperson on this issue, but I have spent much of the past week talking with donors and season ticket holders--dialog not unlike what's taking place on this board.  I am not ashamed to ask people who care to take the extra effort to show a friendly, sportsmanlike face to other fans, visiting or otherwise.  If that's not comfortable for others, that's okay too.  As long as we're able to have fun without insulting others, we'll be in good shape.   

There's no "anonymous" strategy here . . . just good people who care about the issues and who are protecting private conversations with me.   

Thanks to everyone.  Dialog really is a good thing. 

Best,

Vicki

thank you for the post, Vicki.

to be clear, i don't think anybody here-- even the most ardent defenders of the fans like myself-- are opposed to the Respect-A-Bull campaign.

we all want our program to succeed on the field and in fan hospitality.

the problem for me and others, however, is the fact that it seems a few isolated incidents are being blown well out of proportion, making our fanbase look more obnoxious, hostile and abusive than it really is.

if the vast majority of us on this forum didn't see or hear any egregious abuse or hostility, it makes absolutely NO SENSE to run around with our hair on fire acting like the world is caving in on our program because of a few isolated reports.

i have no doubt SOME fans had a bad experience at the game last Friday--- that happens at EVERY game in EVERY stadium.

but let's remain level-headed here... until programs like Oklahoma or Texas or Ohio State or Florida State or Georgia or whoever gets on the phone with Doug or Jim and says "we're not scheduling a home-and-home with you because your fans were ******** at the Kansas game," let's not act like those few isolated incidents last Friday are the end of our program.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bully... there have been quite a few FIRST HAND accounts here and in various newspapers (not counting the Matt Grothe story)... enough for me to think it's more than a "few isolated incidents"...

Your whining doesn't fix anything...

Our message does.  Just ignore it if you don't want to help. 

what did your message fix, buddy?

tell me ONE FAN that would have otherwise acted like a fool in 2 weeks at the Pitt game that read your little "anonymous" innuendo posts that said "hmm, i think i won't be an ******* at the next home game."

name one.

you can't, because for all your pseudo-heroism and big talk, you are preaching to the choir here on the BullsPen.

there is a bigger chance that someone from the media, that some fans from other schools, or god forbid an AD or rep from a school that was considering scheduling us, came to this site and read posts from you and others flailing wildly about how terrible our fans are and came away with a worse impression about us than is warranted.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Bully... there have been quite a few FIRST HAND accounts here and in various newspapers (not counting the Matt Grothe story)... enough for me to think it's more than a "few isolated incidents"...

first hand accounts from Bulls fans?

first hand accounts from Bulls fans?

Why does that matter?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Mods...

For the love of all that is holy...

puzzle_lock.jpg

of course, because the media reports on the sensational story.

why didn't Brett or Greg or the ******** at the Slantinel or the clowns at ESPN interview ME or one of the hundreds/thousands of other Bulls fans that went out of our way to thank Kansas fans for a "good game" and wished them a safe trip back as we walked them to their cars?

because blood sells, so a handful of ****** stories get the coverage [in no small part thanks to Matt Grothe's brilliant honesty!] while the GOOD stories that far outnumber the bad get completely ignored...

then those of us that DID do our part to be Respect-A-Bull get preached to by sanctimonious clowns on this forum that want to act like we're part of the problem, simply because we're not jumping on their "**** on the fans" anonymous rumor mongering bandwagon.

well excuse me if i'm not buying the Girl Scout cookies yall are selling here.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Velcro, I'm sorry . . . I didn't realize that this post had reached this proportion.   

We've had a lot of dialog in the past week with donors and season ticket holders about the fall-out from the KU game, including Velcro and others who post regularly on this board and who are involved with the Bulls Club.   We are concerned, and we are taking this seriously.   While universities can take administrative measures to address some issues, the ultimate power to determine the culture of a fan base lies with the fans.    This is not an issue unique to USF--sportsmanship in the college environment is a national discussion--but we certainly are not immune.   Reputation does matter . . . it matters in scheduling, in conference relationships, in our efforts to sell out Raymond James Stadium, and in recruiting, just to name a few.   It especially matters for a young institution whose national reputation is being defined in the here and now, not from centuries of history.   

Regardless of what you do or don't believe happens at games, why wouldn't we want to work together to help develop a reputation as hospitable fans . . as people who know how to have fun, support the Bulls, and practice good sportsmanship too?  Why wouldn't we want visitors to leave here wanting to make a return trip?  I certainly respect everyone's right to draw their own conclusions . . . but I'm awfully grateful to those who have expressed an interest in making us better.    The Respect-a-Bull Campaign was started by a group of alumni and students to remind everyone that WE are USF, and that how we conduct ourselves matters; to make the point that there's no place for cheap shots, on the field or off.    It's a young effort and will certainly grow.  In the end, however, it will be the actions of each of us that will tell the tale.    We are what we do, individually and collectively.   Fans can make a difference in that perception.

I'm not the spokesperson on this issue, but I have spent much of the past week talking with donors and season ticket holders--dialog not unlike what's taking place on this board.  I am not ashamed to ask people who care to take the extra effort to show a friendly, sportsmanlike face to other fans, visiting or otherwise.  If that's not comfortable for others, that's okay too.  As long as we're able to have fun without insulting others, we'll be in good shape.   

There's no "anonymous" strategy here . . . just good people who care about the issues and who are protecting private conversations with me.   

Thanks to everyone.  Dialog really is a good thing. 

Best,

Vicki

thank you for the post, Vicki.

to be clear, i don't think anybody here-- even the most ardent defenders of the fans like myself-- are opposed to the Respect-A-Bull campaign.

we all want our program to succeed on the field and in fan hospitality.

the problem for me and others, however, is the fact that it seems a few isolated incidents are being blown well out of proportion, making our fanbase look more obnoxious, hostile and abusive than it really is.

if the vast majority of us on this forum didn't see or hear any egregious abuse or hostility, it makes absolutely NO SENSE to run around with our hair on fire acting like the world is caving in on our program because of a few isolated reports.

i have no doubt SOME fans had a bad experience at the game last Friday--- that happens at EVERY game in EVERY stadium.

but let's remain level-headed here... until programs like Oklahoma or Texas or Ohio State or Florida State or Georgia or whoever gets on the phone with Doug or Jim and says "we're not scheduling a home-and-home with you because your fans were ******** at the Kansas game," let's not act like those few isolated incidents last Friday are the end of our program.

YOU DON'T WAIT UNTIL the BIG XII calls and says "WE AREN'T PLAYING YOU!"... then it is too late... you fix it before hand! 

Archived