• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe on Jim Rome Today at 1:00

Boomer

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Did nothing to change my opinion that Athletics needs to really give these kids a workshop on how to deal with the media. These kids were recruited to come in and play sports and aren't professional orators...but doing interviews is now a part of big-time college football...which we are now becoming. They should be prepped on how to speak clearly, answer concisely, and to avoid giving out bulletin board material. The Athletics department really needs to take this as a serious issue to help our athletes deal with success.

One last point. I love MG..he's a warrior...but last I checked...if you don't feel comfortable doing the interview...you can always turn down the opportunity.

Well said, Sunil.

Excellent points.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

anyone have a transcript or recording of the interview? everyone's making a pretty big stink about it, i'd like to hear it.

PM FIU Eats It.  I believe he recorded it.

• Content Count:  505

Maybe he should wear his helmet when giving interviews, seemed to help Ricky Williams get over his shyness.  Seriously, Matt has never been a good interview.  I cringed when I read he was going to be on the Rome show (part because Rome's act got old after one show and part because of Matt's interview skills).  I was hoping he was getting better at it, but it's just not his personality.  He saves all of his outgoingness (is that a word?) for the field and I wouldn't want it any other way.  Lay off the guy.  I know when I was his age I practically would pass out everytime I had to give a presentation.  He'll get better as he matures.  Toastmasters wouldn't hurt though.

• Content Count:  21,294
  • Days Won:  10

I believe he could take a speech class and get credit for it and help his ability to annuciate on the phone.  On getting paid, I have a problem because what about athletes who play vollyball or soccer should they get some cash?  What about walk-ons on the football team, if they play then they should be compensated should they not.  Welcome to the slippery slope my friends.

• Content Count:  145

I was totally ok with his answers...I just know how that show works when the clones/Rome forms an opinion or perception.

• Content Count:  2,118

laid back style, as long as he is thirsty on the field, i could careless about how he does interviews.

• Content Count:  1,471

Did cross anyone's mind that maybe Matt doesn't even like Rome? If so, why would he be excited to be talking to him. i know a lot of people that can't stand Rome's style.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Did cross anyone's mind that maybe Matt doesn't even like Rome? If so, why would he be excited to be talking to him. i know a lot of people that can't stand Rome's style.

Um, no....that never crossed my mind.

Primarily because if someone despises an individual to that extent, the interview request is almost invariably refused.

So, no.

• Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

I wouldn't criticize a student athlete for occasionally saying the wrong thing or maybe not giving the best interview.  I don't think Jim Rome could even appreciate where Grothe is coming from anyway.  Unless Grothe came on and said something EPIC that could be used a soundbyte over and over Rome has no use for him anyway.

Rome sucks.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

To all of you guys ragging on Polk County, watch your backs.  Us Lakeland boys can get rowdy with the best of them!

Guns, beer, women, trucks.  Does life get any better than those four things?

Archived