• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe on Jim Rome Today at 1:00

Boomer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Anybody care to comment on what the take was by the Jungle after the "money" question?  Just curious.  I listened to the interview and had to go.

Rome agreed with the idea of a stipend for athletes.

which is a terrible idea if it is based on your jersey sales.  only 2-3 players on about 40-50 teams actually account for jersey sales.  some sell a whole lot more than others.  where is the line drawn.  now, if they want to bump up the players "spending" cash by about $150 a month and do it across the board then I don't see much of a problem.  but then, do you do it for all student athletes or just athletes from revenue producing sports??  its a slippery slope.

i bought a USF jersey (its a #4 nike jersey that i bought 2 years ago)  now would my money go to Carlton Hill or Mike Jenkins?  the jersey was obviously made for C-Hill but he was out of the program by then and Mike was becoming a star. 

either way, i didn't buy it because of the player who was wearing it at that time.  i bought it because it was a USF jersey. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

According to the UCF Rivals site, who is having a field day with this, after the interview was over, Rome said the following....  Does anyone know if it is true or just UCF made up BS?

Rome:  "I hope Grothe liked that. I wasn't even trying to make him look stupid. He's really just that much more stupid than the rest of us".  And then supposedly Rome played that clip of SC beauty pageant chick talking about "US Americans" and "the Iraqs".

If that happened, I'd recommend USF never allow him to interview a coach or player again from the team...

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

As for the whole stipend talk.  It jut seemed he couldnt say what he really wanted to.  It hurt to hear him talk when I know the point he was trying to make, he just couldnt articulate it.  

He was saying,

"I dont know maybe an extra couple thousand a month" when really he should have said or meant  something like "I think we should get paid X amount of dollars when we are obligated to be at practice.  Maybe like minimum wage to keep our heads above water"

he didnt want to be asked the question and was, it was obvious.  it wasnt "that" bad.  

ps Jim Rome did him a service by summarizing the interview and articulating the point Grothe was trying to make.  I dont care all that much for Rome but when he explained it the way grothe meant it so callers wouldnt think he was saying they should be getting more $ than they already are.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

According to the UCF Rivals site, who is having a field day with this, after the interview was over, Rome said the following....  Does anyone know if it is true or just UCF made up BS?

Rome:  "I hope Grothe liked that. I wasn't even trying to make him look stupid. He's really just that much more stupid than the rest of us".  And then supposedly Rome played that clip of SC beauty pageant chick talking about "US Americans" and "the Iraqs".

If that happened, I'd recommend USF never allow him to interview a coach or player again from the team...

I highly doubt this and I didn't even hear the interview.  Do you really think anyone else in the country other than ucf fans would be able to make reference to Grothe's remarks towards ucf?

• Content Count:  66,066
  • Days Won:  172

Did nothing to change my opinion that Athletics needs to really give these kids a workshop on how to deal with the media. These kids were recruited to come in and play sports and aren't professional orators...but doing interviews is now a part of big-time college football...which we are now becoming. They should be prepped on how to speak clearly, answer concisely, and to avoid giving out bulletin board material. The Athletics department really needs to take this as a serious issue to help our athletes deal with success.

One last point. I love MG..he's a warrior...but last I checked...if you don't feel comfortable doing the interview...you can always turn down the opportunity.

he is terrible

he needs to watch usc qbs speak

• Content Count:  66,066
  • Days Won:  172

****, it's amazing the amount of fans that had never heard or seen an MG interview before today. Matt is a great kid and great player but you can definitely tell he is not comfortable doing stuf like this. Got to give him props for even giving it a shot

he should stick to playing qb

Archived