• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe on Jim Rome Today at 1:00

Boomer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

cut the kid some slack.  he's a ******* jock, not a professional orator.

He is a STUDENT-athlete.  He did not sound like a student at all in that conversation.  Go on a job interview like that and you wont get hired anywhere.

I got like 4 text messages from people i know around the country joking about this.  

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Not a great interview, but if I had been interviewed when I was a Junior at USF I'd have sounded about the same.  Some folks are naturally good at it, some need more work.  Unless he's a communications major, he won't be on national radio very often, so I doubt it'll affect his life.

• Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

my brother out in Irvine, CA just texted me said matt sounded like mushmouth from fat albert. i just laughed at that one.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

To be quite frank...

That was most likely his first and LAST interview on that show (unless he wins the Heisman, or something).

But maybe that's the way he would rather have it.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I'm more embarassed by some of the responses in this thread than I am about Matt's interview.

Rome tried to put him in a tough spot and it was clear that Matt really didn't want to talk about the subject. Matt made it clear that he was previously asked about it and he gave an honest answer. I'm sure that had blown up in his face and he really didn't want to talk about it any further. Then, Rome asked him about how he could get money directly from people who were wearing his jersey which would certainly be an NCAA violation, and Matt skirted that issue I thought very well.

So, Matt RIGHTFULLY was very defensive and I don't find fault with his answers.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'm more embarassed by some of the responses in this thread than I am about Matt's interview.

Rome tried to put him in a tough spot and it was clear that Matt really didn't want to talk about the subject. Matt made it clear that he was previously asked about it and he gave an honest answer. I'm sure that had blown up in his face and he really didn't want to talk about it any further. Then, Rome asked him about how he could get money directly from people who were wearing his jersey which would certainly be an NCAA violation, and Matt skirted that issue I thought very well.

So, Matt RIGHTFULLY was very defensive and I don't find fault with his answers.

If you care to go back and read through the previous seven pages or so of this thread, most criticism revolved around his mumbling and general lack of command of the English language.

Your concerns are somewhat unfounded.

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

It wouldn't have been a bad interview if he just acted like he wanted to talk with Rome

and took the cell out of his mouth.

Most college football players give bad interviews though.

• Content Count:  743

anyone have a transcript or recording of the interview? everyone's making a pretty big stink about it, i'd like to hear it.

• Content Count:  1,260

Did nothing to change my opinion that Athletics needs to really give these kids a workshop on how to deal with the media. These kids were recruited to come in and play sports and aren't professional orators...but doing interviews is now a part of big-time college football...which we are now becoming. They should be prepped on how to speak clearly, answer concisely, and to avoid giving out bulletin board material. The Athletics department really needs to take this as a serious issue to help our athletes deal with success.

One last point. I love MG..he's a warrior...but last I checked...if you don't feel comfortable doing the interview...you can always turn down the opportunity.

Archived