• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Treatement of KU Fans.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

I posted earlier about being in section 329 with some friends from work who were KU fans and shared that one set of KU fan friends had no issues and were complimentary of the way they were treated.  We were also there with another set of KU fans, including a husband who is an obnoxious person (not a bad guy, but obnoxious nonetheless) who I didn't see until today.  I talked to the wife and she said the only thing that upset her at the game was that KU lost and everyone was nice to them.  One drunk guy say "Kansas sucks" to them on the way out or something to that effect, but nothing more and everyone else was nice.

We also all tailgated together on the student side of the stadium before the game and everyone parked over there and everything was fine, no issues at all, and some students even offered them some beer.  So while I don't doubt there were a-holes, the biggest problem I see is that it is a very limited number of people that are hurting the reputation of the whole fan base, especially us uncivilized "douchebags" in the 300 section.  I am disappointed in some of our fans as well, and it needs to be fixed, but I just wanted to insert a small bit of good news into this otherwise depressing thred

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  645

Ok I am just going to put this out there. 

If nobody saw this happen, and there are alot of us here that sit in all areas of the stadium, could it be that there is not that big of a problem?

While I believe that even 1 incident is too many, some of this just doesn't ring true.  I park in the South Lots (Lot 7) and I do not recall seeing all kinds of kegs and beer bongs, etc.  Maybe I am just blind.  Is everything happening in the North parking lots?

Is it just possible that somewhere there is a KU fan, or a UCF fan, sitting there saying look at all the problems I just stirred up for USF?

Not saying...just saying.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Definitely saw beer bongs and keg stands going on in the old mall parking lot (I haven't learned the numbers). But, I didn't see a large contingent of KU fans over there. This area is historically a student lot, and I could see there being an issue if opposing fans park there. I didn't see any issues though.

Who knows what is going on though, maybe there are other things at work (UCF fans). Everyone has stupid fans. I still maintain that Auburn had phenomenal fans, but there was one d-bag that I remember. Couple of military guys were hanging out at our tailgate and this guy decided to come over and start something with one of them (Political moron), anyway, point is, even Auburn has one.

As our fan base grows, it will get better, it has to. People will have a lot more invested in this team. I for one will do all I can to make games a pleasant experience for fans. I will yell and cuss, and tell them to go home from afar during the game, but before and after, I am going to kill them with kindness. Above that, there's not much I can do. My primary concern is going to be watching the Bulls win, and having a good time.

• Content Count:  75

This is pretty depressing to hear and hope we can fix it.

One way may be to have everyopne take ownership of whatever section they're in and report any misconduct to the authorities.

We can also have some of our fans/students volunteer to walk visiting fans to their cars or tailgate section after the game. I know this is a bit much and may seem wierd to visiting fans but at least the assclown fans (which I hope aren't students or alumni) will have to get past some of their own to get to our guests.

And last but not least if the person embarassing our university is in your group you have to confront them. If enough of the students get involved I believe we can change the mindset. Just my opinion, but a person going out of there way to verbally assault visitiing fans probably wants attention, has an inferiority complex, and will not want to be told by his own freinds to stop acting like an idiot.

This sucks to be portrayed this way but we can fix it if enough students and alumni take a proactive approach to protect our guests.

• Content Count:  5

I guarantee you that I am a Kansas fan, went to Kansas and still live in Kansas.  I know what to expect from an opposing crowd.  I am not offended by f-bombs, I am not offended by people drinking, I am not offended by anti-KU cheers by the student section - even ones with profanity.  Really, I thought I had seen it and heard it all at KU/MU games in Columbia.  For those that don't know, that rivalry goes back to the Civil War when Kansas was a Free State and Missery was a slave state.  They burned down Lawrence Kansas and we sowed our revenge.  It doesn't go much deeper than that.  Top that off with a bunch of Missery fans being from the Ozarks and there have been some interesting scenarios with those folks. 

What I experienced at Raymond James was not taunting, it was outright hatred. The people who were in my face (only provoked by the color I wore) was too much.  As I said before, if it had only been once or twice you would never see me posting.  Try at least 20 that I was told F-U Go Home.  Maybe it is because I am female and was by myself for a short time in the parking lot and in the concourse, but several people decided I was fair game.  I wrote the first one off as just an a*hole.  After so many though, it seems as though it was more the norm.  I did have my seats (purchased through the athletic dept) in the upper level.  I did come in the student entrance and leave that way as well, but how was I to know that wasn't recommended. 

I guess my main point in posting this and making this more known is that Kansas is not a rivalry game for you.  We are not in your conference.  The only special thing about this is that we are ranked and it was on ESPN.  If this is the way that we were treated, then you are a hairsbreath away from potentially having a bigger issue.  I am not sure if I read it here or somewhere else, but you have to remember that Bowl committee members are at your games and they do take notice of the fans and it can make a difference in their decisions.

Several years ago a bunch of Nebraska fans had their tires slashed while attending a KU game.  I didn't see it, but I believe it happened.  I also know that after that there was more attention brought to the lots so it wouldn't happen again.  Don't ignore this because you didn't see it and you think people like me just want to stir up trouble. 

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Ok I am just going to put this out there. 

If nobody saw this happen, and there are alot of us here that sit in all areas of the stadium, could it be that there is not that big of a problem?

Yes it did happen.  No, it didn't happen to every Kansas fan, but it did happen.

Yes USF Athletics is taking this VERY seriously. 

Yes, all of us need to do what we can to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Teams will stop scheduling us, and bowl games won't want us.  It needs to stop, and it needs to stop NOW.

We need to get the word out.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Our ancestor's killed every man possible and burned each other's towns to the ground during the Cival War, yet even our two fanbases can engage in some semblance of sportsmanship that your fanbase is obviously unable to do.

It's statements like this that make me laugh. I have no way of knowing the sincerity or veracity of your tale. However to compare this to the genocide you described above is a little over the top.

Again, I don't doubt that we had some liquored up fans that sprouted beer muscles, but this stuff happens everywhere. It doesn't justify it, but label an entire fanbase b/c of the actions of the few is insane.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Again, I don't doubt that we had some liquored up fans that sprouted beer muscles, but this stuff happens everywhere. It doesn't justify it, but label an entire fanbase b/c of the actions of the few is insane.

If you went to a restaurant and got terrible food and an incredibly rude waiter, would you go back anytime soon?  Would it matter that most of the waiters are considerate and most of the cooks are good?  Not likely. 

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

If you went to a restaurant and got terrible food and an incredibly rude waiter, would you go back anytime soon?  Would it matter that most of the waiters are considerate and most of the cooks are good?  Not likely. 

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I still think its naive to judge an entire fanbase or region over the actions of a few. Doesn't matter how you frame it.

With that said, yes we should strive to be good hosts but that doesn't mean we should accept everything that is written as gospel. If we take all these reports at face value, RJS is more dangerous than downtown Bagdad.

IMO, we should increase our security presence around known trouble spots and do a better job at spotting potential troublemakers. AGain, I'm saddened to hear some of these experiences but they are the exception.

Archived