• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Treatement of KU Fans.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Ok I am just going to put this out there. 

If nobody saw this happen, and there are alot of us here that sit in all areas of the stadium, could it be that there is not that big of a problem?

Yes it did happen.  No, it didn't happen to every Kansas fan, but it did happen.

Yes USF Athletics is taking this VERY seriously. 

Yes, all of us need to do what we can to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Teams will stop scheduling us, and bowl games won't want us.  It needs to stop, and it needs to stop NOW.

We need to get the word out.

Ok Data I will take your word that it happened and I really never said it didn't happen.  What I am wondering is how BIG is the problem?  As I said before, even ONE incident is too many, and i like your restaurant analogy, but is it possible that it was the same group of 20 or so d-bags that created the entire problem?

But as you say, let's try to address the issue now before it gets worse.

My guess is that a lot of the fans complaining like psquared came through the lots where students are tailgating.  Is there something we can do to both educate our visitors to avoid that area, and also do something to make that area better for the visitors.

I almost hate to "warn" visitors to not park or walk through certain areas, because then we sound like the UCF people telling us to stay away from Memory Mall, but maybe we need to do just that until we can get a handle on the situation.

Sorry if anybody took it that I condoned this activity or didn't believe it happened.  Let's brainstorm and come up with solutions that might actually work.  It's all well and good to say tell them to be respectful, but if they are being asses to the visitors, I doubt they will listen to a short 49 year old that has never been in a fight in his life! :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The impression I got is that the problem is certainly bigger than 20 or so people.  I also got the impression that USF Athletics has a pretty good idea where the problem areas are, and are going to address it swiftly. 

I suspect a lot of the issues had to do with visitors having to go through the student section into and out of the game, but I couldn't say that with a certainty.  I went through the student entrance/exit on my way in and out of the stadium.  While I didn't see anything that bad, there were a lot of profane chants, and a couple of drunks tried to get in the face of a couple of Jayhawk fans.  Outside of that area, I didn't see too much to be ashamed of.  I hate to lay it all on the student section, but give several thousand students with essentially free tickets to a huge party...well, a small percentage acting like idiots adds up to a few hundred.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

The impression I got is that the problem is certainly bigger than 20 or so people.  I also got the impression that USF Athletics has a pretty good idea where the problem areas are, and are going to address it swiftly. 

I suspect a lot of the issues had to do with visitors having to go through the student section into and out of the game, but I couldn't say that with a certainty.  I went through the student entrance/exit on my way in and out of the stadium.  While I didn't see anything that bad, there were a lot of profane chants, and a couple of drunks tried to get in the face of a couple of Jayhawk fans.  Outside of that area, I didn't see too much to be ashamed of.  I hate to lay it all on the student section, but give several thousand students with essentially free tickets to a huge party...well, a small percentage acting like idiots adds up to a few hundred.

The visitor section at USF has the quickest route to the exit ramps and elevators. Students are completely on the farside of the stadium.

IMO, I hope USF just hires more security guards to patrol the lots and gates during operating hours.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Brett Thinks it was enough of an issue to write about it in his blog........

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Brett Thinks it was enough of an issue to write about it in his blog........

See link:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/sep/17/sp-ku-fans-decry-abusive-treatment/sports-colleges-bulls/

KU Fans Decry Abusive Treatment

By BRETT McMURPHY | The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 17, 2008

TAMPA - While warming up before Friday's game against Kansas, University of South Florida QB Matt Grothe noticed a USF fan screaming derogatory slurs at the Jayhawks cheerleaders.

"I didn't appreciate it," Grothe said. "Some idiot of ours, every time a KU cheerleader walked by, he yelled a sexual slur over and over to each and every one.

"Yelling at a cheerleader? Those poor girls don't know why they're getting yelled at. It's like me going up to that guy's mom and calling her that. Is he going to like that? They should just be happy with us winning games."

(See link for full article)

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/sep/17/sp-ku-fans-decry-abusive-treatment/sports-colleges-bulls/

• Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

This is is a real problem.  Some very serious allegations of abusive USF fans were made this week to the University Administration, by people who will be taken seriously. 

If something doesn't change immediately, you can expect a real crackdown on alcohol, possibly including a ban on sales.  You can also expect a much greater police-state atmosphere, and other changes no one wants to see. 

I have no doubt that the vast majority of USF students are normal, enthusiastic fans who loudly support their team without doing anything innapropriate to other fans. 

But some bad stuff happened at the KU game.  And it threatens the health of the whole program.

The best solution I see, and one that would go a long way toward righting the wrongs, would be for a grass-roots student organization to do some sort of monitoring of fan behavior.  A sort of Guardian Angels.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The visitor section at USF has the quickest route to the exit ramps and elevators. Students are completely on the farside of the stadium.

IMO, I hope USF just hires more security guards to patrol the lots and gates during operating hours.

Not every visitor is sitting in the visitor section, and those that are likely don't know which parking lot to park at to get out the quickest with least disruption. 

I beg to differ Cyber... most of the parking in the South lots are donors and USF fans... visitors tend to park all over, but a lot park on the north side... which means they have to cross through the students to enter and exit the stadium.

I can tell you that I sit in the South Endzone and usually exit through the student gate because it is closer to where I park.  This game the crowd was too big and I followed it out with no real incidents - everyone quiet with the visitors coming down from the 3rd level.

• Content Count:  5

I would like to post a wrap-up to this.  It is Wed. and we all have football games to pay attention to this weekend. 

I have been very vocal about the treatment I received at RJS.  I have posted here and also been quoted by the media.  In addition to that, I sent an email to the USF Athletic office.  I have these things to say:

1) The response here has been terrific.  Thanks so much for understanding there is an issue even if you haven't seen it.  Thanks for wanting to make it better for all those that will be there this season and next. 

2) The response from your athletic office was first rate.  They did not have to call me, yet they did.  They said all the right things and then some.  Will things at a college football venue ever be perfect..no, but the USF offices want to make it as good as it can possibly be.  For that, they should be commended.  Please support them in whatever they try to do.  They really are thinking about the vistors as well as the 60K+ great fans that have helped build your program.

And what you all want the most, I am not going to post about this anymore- hurray!  In all seriousness, here is to both our programs....continued success throughout the regular season and the post season!   

• 4 months later...

• Content Count:  1

If you only knew how KU fans treated the fans of other Big XII schools. They treat us awful when we play them in Lawrence, and they treat us awful when we play them at home.  Missouri and Kansas State especially.  I have come to know them as the most arrogant group of fans I have ever seen.

A good example of just how terrible they can be.  A mere two years ago KU came and played us in Manhattan and won by six points. A measly six points, after stopping what had nearly become a last minutes game winning drive.  Now, we are rivals, and I understand this...but what they did after was inexcusable.  In our own city, we were heckled as we left our own stadium.  I ran into a large mass of KU Sorority girls in the parking lot, loudly screaming "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" at all the passing by Wildcat fans. They were promptly replied to with the oh so clever pun version of their chant, which I see you too have discovered.

It did not end here. Oh no.  I had to walk back several miles to my place, and along the way, ran into three separate groups of KU fans...again in the middle of our own city...shouting abuse at us for no reason, telling us how badly we got our ass kicked and such.  Later on, I saw another group of them on an apartment balcony waving a huge KU banner at all the people walking and driving down the road. It was the worst display of poor sportsmanship I have ever seen in my life. This didn't end after the game. Story's from friends who stayed out later and went to Aggieville suggest that the ridiculous abuse continued well passed the afternoon into the night. Naturally a number of fights broke out and there were several arrests.

Now, I'm all for trash talking the opposing fans. Honestly, it's part of sports. I gave some Oklahoma fans a hell of a time when they sat in our student section, but after having been brutally humbled by the Sooners, I gave them high fives and a "Well played game" on the way out. I've been to several K-State away games as well. In Columbia, Missouri, I never once had a bad experience with the Tigers fans. Not once.  I never had a bad experience with the Iowa fans when we played them on a neutral site either. With the exception of Colorado (infamous for their terrible fans) I have never even had trouble with fans at our home stadium (the Colorado fans actually showed up early, and yelled at our team as they made their entrance to the stadium...but that was all).

I guess the point I'm making is, don't be too hard on yourselves. So the KU fans were treated less than courteously. You may have had a good experience with their fans as well. But the KU fans that were at your stadium are probably not the same type that we see at ours.  Being a mere two hours away means that we are subject to a far larger number of Jay Hawk fans, while you only dealt with the ones that could afford to travel to Florida to watch a football game.  If only you knew how awful they are when they play us, or any other Big XII team.  I find it highly laughable that any Jay hawk fan can complain about their poor treatment when they routinely do it to us in our own stadium.

Happy to shine some light on the whole Jay Hawk Issue,

Wildcatz

Archived