• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kevin Smith pegged as a 4th round draft pick....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

whether he is good or not, your lack of competition will hurt his draft potential.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

It's a tremendously deep RB draft, but after today I didn't see that guys like Rice, Slaton, Hart put themselves ahead of Smith.  McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones, Johnson, and Charles are ahead of him, and possibly Forte.  In my humble opinion of course,

The only difference for Rice, Slaton, and Hart is that the scouts can look at all of their games in college to get a base for what they can do. You talk about Smith's vision, but without the competition that these other guys play, do the scouts really get worked up over the UAB and ECU games, or do they focus on UT, USF, and Miss St.? I am not saying one way or the other, just something to ponder.

Those other guys you mentioned had 3-4 years of success in a big conference. When it is time to announce your pick, that will mean more than the combine.

If the 4.43/48/5? numbers are correct, Smith is faster than I would have expected.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

It's a tremendously deep RB draft, but after today I didn't see that guys like Rice, Slaton, Hart put themselves ahead of Smith.

I expect that at least one of the three will be drafted before Kevin (probably Rice), possibly a second (Slaton), but Hart hurt his chances.  Unfortunately for Kevin, there is a facet of college name recognition to the draft.  It can be overcome, but Kevin didn't do anything at the Combine to really overcome it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,347
  • Days Won:  10

See?  That is the thing with me.  I am not saying he isn't good -- I am saying how can you know with an SOS that UCF had?  And I bet the scouts are thinking the same thing.  The combine is one thing, but the intangibles that UCF'ers hawk has to be seen on the field and I think that against their SOS you may not have seen it.  I wish him well, but to me, he will have to prove the hype.

• Content Count:  2,239

Here's to having on hell of a pro day.  He's going to need it after a lackluster combine, IMO.

He needed to turn some heads and while he didn't hurt his stock, he didn't do enough to really help it either.

• Content Count:  5,347
  • Days Won:  10

DP, I agree.  Here is to a young man's dreams.  He deserves his chance..

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Check out Kevin Smith's quotes at the Combine:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/02/24/combine/2.html

Quote of the Week III

"I've got this old saying: A spade is a spade. I'm definitely a spade.''

--Central Florida running back Kevin Smith, in the middle of a group session with reporters Saturday.

I didn't know what he meant, so I asked him to clarify. "If you have game, you have game," he said. "I'm not one to try to hide it. I'm not trying to boost any attributes of myself. I play the game of football. Everyone who watches me, you either like it or you don't. I play running back and I'm very good at playing running back."

• Content Count:  5,241

Not as bad as some of Cadaillac Williams quotes when he got drafted, but still pretty bad.

• Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

Quote of the Week III

--Central Florida running back Kevin Smith, in the middle of a group session with reporters Saturday.

I didn't know what he meant, so I asked him to clarify. "If you have game, you have game," he said. "I'm not one to try to hide it. I'm not trying to boost any attributes of myself. I play the game of football. Everyone who watches me, you either like it or you don't. I play running back and I'm very good at playing running back."

I wonder who did his class work at UCF.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Quote of the Week III

I wonder who did his class work at UCF.

Shauna Moffitt

sorry could not resist

Archived