• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kevin Smith pegged as a 4th round draft pick....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Wow....and to think some UCiFers thought that he would go in the first round and was better than McFadden.

Smith makes Erie stop en route to NFL

UCF star honored as college football player of year at Charity Dinner

By Ron Leonardi

ron.leonardi@timesnews.com

Some scouting organizations have Kevin Smith pegged as a third- or fourth-round pick in April's NFL Draft.

The record-setting junior running back from Central Florida is bent on elevating his draft stock with a strong performance at the NFL Scouting Combine on Feb. 20-26 in Indianapolis.

Smith, 21, a Miami native, took time off from his training schedule to appear Thursday at the 44th annual Charity Sports Dinner at the Ambassador Center at the Courtyard by Marriott. A crowd of 350 attended to see Smith honored as the college player of the year.

"I leave for the NFL Combine on Feb. 21, so everything will take care of itself," Smith said.

Vision, patience and knowing when to make cuts are Smith's best assets. NFL scouts might have questions about the 6-foot 1-inch, 211-pound running back's speed. Smith feels they shouldn't.

"We had a mock combine on Tuesday (at UCF) and we ran two 40-yard dash times on electric time, which is similar to the Combine on turf. I don't want to say anything about what I ran, but I did pretty well for myself."

He also figures to do quite well when he negotiates his NFL contract after recently signing with noted football agent Drew Rosenhaus, who's known for his aggressive representation and ability to generate lucrative contracts for his clients.

After leading the nation in rushing with 2,567 yards this past season, Smith's draft stock couldn't be higher, which is why he declared his intent in early January to bypass his senior year for the NFL.

In mid-December, Smith initially announced he would return to UCF next season and complete his degree. Smith changed his mind and announced his desire to turn pro a week after Mississippi State defeated UCF 10-3 in the Liberty Bowl Dec. 29.

"I wanted to come back to school and be a Knight; it was in my heart," Smith said. "That's the way I was feeling; that was the game plan, but after the bowl game, I got a chance to sit down with my mother and discuss what's best for my future. I had a three-year tenure at UCF, which was pretty good. It was about time for me to take it to the next level and experience something new."

A dominant Mississippi State defense held Smith to 119 yards rushing in the bowl game. Smith finished 62 yards shy of breaking Barry Sanders' NCAA-record of 2,628 rushing yards in 1988 with Oklahoma State. Smith helped UCF (10-4) win the Conference USA championship and produce only the 10-win season in program history.

"I'm still going to get my degree," Smith said. "It was a tough decision. Anybody who's been in this position before knows that you switch back and forth a lot with your decision just thinking about what you should do. After the bowl game, after I got a chance to sit down and review the season, the NFL was the best thing."

RON LEONARDI can be reached at 870-1680 or by e-mail.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/FOOTBALL03/802080454/-1/SPORTS40

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

ive been saying that for months

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

He's no where near as good as six or seven other backs, but let's just wait and find out exactly where he is drafted.

I am guessing end of the second round.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

He's no where near as good as six or seven other backs, but let's just wait and find out exactly where he is drafted.

I am guessing end of the second round.

I still stand by my statement that he will not go before the 10th RB.

I honestly think 5th round for 24 k

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Wow....and to think some UCiFers thought that he would go in the first round and was better than McFadden.

FWIW, ESPN's Robert Smith said he thought Smith would be a better NFL back than McFAdden....... Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

FWIW, ESPN's Robert Smith said he thought Smith would be a better NFL back than McFAdden....... Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

What does some dude who sang for The Cure know?  Is ESPN that hard up for commentators now?!  ;)

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

What does some dude who sang for The Cure know?  Is ESPN that hard up for commentators now?!   ;)

................Fascination Street !

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

I've been saying he needs a good combine to climb up.  My judgement is out till then.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

What does some dude who sang for The Cure know?  Is ESPN that hard up for commentators now?!   ;)

The Cure?

43e16875-2f8f-4361-80bd-41d0cff79114.jpg

They're no Flock of Seagulls ...

• Content Count:  500
  • Days Won:  0

I've been saying he needs a good combine to climb up.  My judgement is out till then.

He is/was really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Come back for your senior season, carry the ball way to much for another season, potentially risk injury but solidify your slot in the first, or come out early and get paid, but possible slip in a DEEP class. Will see how it plays out.

Archived