• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kevin Smith pegged as a 4th round draft pick....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

You have to take into consideration the line support, Dozer.  If you recall the Liberty Bowl, he had no line help.  At that point, 3.4ypc is pretty good.  With they way the line was playing, I would have expected 2.0ypc.  He was able to break off a few decent runs with no help.

The primary rule of an argument is to not use statistics as your main piece of info.  Numbers can be skewed in many ways to fit what the person wants.  Overall rankings mean nothing on a per game basis.  Overall stats are just the results of a bunch of games that vary averaged together.  It's a gauge, not the end all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You have to take into consideration the line support, Dozer.  If you recall the Liberty Bowl, he had no line help.  At that point, 3.4ypc is pretty good.  With they way the line was playing, I would have expected 2.0ypc.  He was able to break off a few decent runs with no help.

The primary rule of an argument is to not use statistics as your main piece of info.  Numbers can be skewed in many ways to fit what the person wants.  Overall rankings mean nothing on a per game basis.  Overall stats are just the results of a bunch of games that vary averaged together.  It's a gauge, not the end all.

Stats aren't the main reason he wont be successful.  The stats are showing the inflated numbers he got we're due to massive numbers of carries and playing against bad defenses.  The reason he wont be successful at the next level has nothing to do with stats and everything to do with his skill set.  That part is explained in my post as well.  Please comprehend what you read. 

Stats aren't the main reason he wont be successful.  The stats are showing the inflated numbers he got we're due to massive numbers of carries and playing against bad defenses.  The reason he wont be successful at the next level has nothing to do with stats and everything to do with his skill set.  That part is explained in my post as well.  Please comprehend what you read. 

Oh, I got it.  I think it was you who failed to comprehend here.

Smith is not a burner, we know.  His ability lies in his vision and patience.  If he plays on a team with a good line, he can be very successful.  I don't know what you're smoking with this weak "skill set" you're talking about, but let's forget his numbers and look at the skills that got him to where he is.  Wins and losses are great and all, but who you beat is equally as important in this case.  Let's start from the top, shall we?

NC State - Had a mediocre 5-7 team under a new head coach, yet they still had a gem against a Virginia team that was good enough to be in a New Year's Day bowl and end up in a wild Gator Bowl.  They also beat East Carolina, a team we will get to later.  Smith played a fine game, including breaking a huge run to start it and outran the entire defense.

Texas - A team you guys like to poo poo.  Let's not forget this team was ranked all year and put a hurting on Arizona State, who was this close from being in the Rose Bowl.  Outside of an egg against Kansas State, they lost to their two rival games, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, and both in close score games.  UCF's line was a little out of their league, yet Smith still had a very strong day.  Outside a stupid flip attempt in the end zone, he was making the defense look very amateur.

Memphis - I'm not going to sugarcoat this team.  They aren't good, period.  They squeaked out a number of close games to go to a bowl game and get beaten down.  It's no surprise they were losing to UCF 49-0 during their game.  Smith ran wild on them, as they just weren't fast or strong enough to contain him.

Louisiana-Layfette - Again, not a good team.  This team was able to stay in some tougher games, but never on the winning side, including respectable losses to Ohio, South Carolina, FAU(all within 2 scores).  It's no surprise Smith ran well here either.

ECU - This is the same team that took on a beat a highly favored Boise State.  Sure we lost by having one of the worst quarters in UCF history, but that's not the debate here.  This team showed greatness, and ineptitude.  They beat BSU and took it to Virginia Tech, yet laid eggs against Marshall, West Virginia and NC State.  Smith did well, but the rest of his team choked.

South Florida - Don't let the score fool you.  In just over one half, Smith had 100 yards of total offense before he was taken out of the game.  The one good drive for UCF came from him running the ball.  This game showed him being used more as a receiving running back than usual.  Did I mention that the USF d-line was negating the UCF o-line?  We know good your team was.  If it wasn't for some choke jobs mid year, you guys could have been in the BCS bowl race.

Tulsa - Two times they played and two times Smith owned them.  Tulsa might not have been a defensive juggernaut(as Smith's numbers will show), but the degree he ran on them speaks volumes.  Their record setting bowl game shows how powerful this team could be.  Likewise, their lopsided loss to Oklahoma shows how much they can falter.

Southern Miss - A mediocre team.  Their only win of note is ECU.  Their 3 most lopsided losses were to Tennessee(20), Boise State(22) and UCF(17).  Smith had a decent game.  He helped with pass protection to help propel Israel to one of his highlight reel games.

Marshall - Outside of an upset beatdown of ECU, this team hasn't been good in a while.  Their loss to UCF was the most lopsided all year(34pts).  Smith was expected to do well and he did.

Alabama-Birmingham - An unexpected close game forced Smith to stay in the game longer than anticipated.  The result was over 300 yards and he was the reason UCF won the game.

Southern Methodist - The team many expected to be the nation's breakout team ended up on the wrong side of 6 games decided by 10 points or less.  UCF was expected to run them over and Smith did.  Without much effort, Smith had almost 180 yards in one half.  He was benched the rest of the way.

Texas El-Paso - Not much of a game.  Weak team and Smith did well.

Mississippi State - This game showed what Smith can do when he has no passing game or offensive line to assist him.  The result?  Over 100 yards on a team that kept Darren McFadden under 90 yards on the ground.  Sure he only average a little under 3 and a half yards per carry, but most RBs in that situation would average 2 or less.  8-9 men in the box with a o-line that got beat consistently and he still got over 100 yards?  MSU is no slouch team.  MSU beat Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, and Ole Miss.

So tell me, based on all these games, where did he look to have weak skills or talent?

• Content Count:  13

1. Darren Mcfadden

2. Jonathon Stewart

3. Rashard Mendenhall

4. Felix Jones

5. Ray Rice

6. Jamaal Charles

7. Chris Johnson

8. Matt Forte

9. Kevin Smith

Late 3rd, Early 4th guy. He doesn't have top speed and not the bulk you look for, but if he gains 10-15 pounds by the combine he could jump Forte and Johnson.

I think Rice should be ranked 7th through 9th or so on that list.  I'm not sure about Forte cause I didn't get to see him in action, a problem that hurt Smith as well.  The combine should help.  Johnson, I think will end up being a Devin Hester type and not really see the field as a running back.

• Content Count:  13

I think Rice should be ranked 7th through 9th or so on that list.  I'm not sure about Forte cause I didn't get to see him in action, a problem that hurt Smith as well.  The combine should help.  Johnson, I think will end up being a Devin Hester type and not really see the field as a running back.

If Jerious Norwood can be a feature back Chris Johnson can.

Think of Forte as Brian Leonard with speed but without the intangibles.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Oh, I got it.  I think it was you who failed to comprehend here.

Smith is not a burner, we know.  His ability lies in his vision and patience.  If he plays on a team with a good line, he can be very successful.  I don't know what you're smoking with this weak "skill set" you're talking about, but let's forget his numbers and look at the skills that got him to where he is.  Wins and losses are great and all, but who you beat is equally as important in this case.  Let's start from the top, shall we?

NC State - Had a mediocre 5-7 team under a new head coach, yet they still had a gem against a Virginia team that was good enough to be in a New Year's Day bowl and end up in a wild Gator Bowl.  They also beat East Carolina, a team we will get to later.  Smith played a fine game, including breaking a huge run to start it and outran the entire defense.

Texas - A team you guys like to poo poo.  Let's not forget this team was ranked all year and put a hurting on Arizona State, who was this close from being in the Rose Bowl.  Outside of an egg against Kansas State, they lost to their two rival games, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, and both in close score games.  UCF's line was a little out of their league, yet Smith still had a very strong day.  Outside a stupid flip attempt in the end zone, he was making the defense look very amateur.

Memphis - I'm not going to sugarcoat this team.  They aren't good, period.  They squeaked out a number of close games to go to a bowl game and get beaten down.  It's no surprise they were losing to UCF 49-0 during their game.  Smith ran wild on them, as they just weren't fast or strong enough to contain him.

Louisiana-Layfette - Again, not a good team.  This team was able to stay in some tougher games, but never on the winning side, including respectable losses to Ohio, South Carolina, FAU(all within 2 scores).  It's no surprise Smith ran well here either.

ECU - This is the same team that took on a beat a highly favored Boise State.  Sure we lost by having one of the worst quarters in UCF history, but that's not the debate here.  This team showed greatness, and ineptitude.  They beat BSU and took it to Virginia Tech, yet laid eggs against Marshall, West Virginia and NC State.  Smith did well, but the rest of his team choked.

South Florida - Don't let the score fool you.  In just over one half, Smith had 100 yards of total offense before he was taken out of the game.  The one good drive for UCF came from him running the ball.  This game showed him being used more as a receiving running back than usual.  Did I mention that the USF d-line was negating the UCF o-line?  We know good your team was.  If it wasn't for some choke jobs mid year, you guys could have been in the BCS bowl race.

Tulsa - Two times they played and two times Smith owned them.  Tulsa might not have been a defensive juggernaut(as Smith's numbers will show), but the degree he ran on them speaks volumes.  Their record setting bowl game shows how powerful this team could be.  Likewise, their lopsided loss to Oklahoma shows how much they can falter.

Southern Miss - A mediocre team.  Their only win of note is ECU.  Their 3 most lopsided losses were to Tennessee(20), Boise State(22) and UCF(17).  Smith had a decent game.  He helped with pass protection to help propel Israel to one of his highlight reel games.

Marshall - Outside of an upset beatdown of ECU, this team hasn't been good in a while.  Their loss to UCF was the most lopsided all year(34pts).  Smith was expected to do well and he did.

Alabama-Birmingham - An unexpected close game forced Smith to stay in the game longer than anticipated.  The result was over 300 yards and he was the reason UCF won the game.

Southern Methodist - The team many expected to be the nation's breakout team ended up on the wrong side of 6 games decided by 10 points or less.  UCF was expected to run them over and Smith did.  Without much effort, Smith had almost 180 yards in one half.  He was benched the rest of the way.

Texas El-Paso - Not much of a game.  Weak team and Smith did well.

Mississippi State - This game showed what Smith can do when he has no passing game or offensive line to assist him.  The result?  Over 100 yards on a team that kept Darren McFadden under 90 yards on the ground.  Sure he only average a little under 3 and a half yards per carry, but most RBs in that situation would average 2 or less.  8-9 men in the box with a o-line that got beat consistently and he still got over 100 yards?  MSU is no slouch team.  MSU beat Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, and Ole Miss.

So tell me, based on all these games, where did he look to have weak skills or talent?

It showed in every game.  His lack of burst through holes, not having NFL type power or break away speed, add that in with being a bit undersized at 210-215iish and you aren't impressing very many people.  When evaluating a college player you don't look to see how he does against college defenses you look at the player and how his talents will hold up at the NFL level where everyone is bigger stronger and faster than in college at every position. The only way he will be successful at the pro level is if hes behind and elite line and even then he doesn't have the skill set or talent to be a starter IMO.  Its funny that no one other than UCF guys are in love with Smith but of course they are right and the rest of the world is wrong  ::).  Dude is a great college back but doesn't have feature back NFL Talent.  Again ill be here to either say i told you so or i was wrong i hope you guys do the same.  He will be a career back up. 

Edit: Kevin Smith=Troy Davis, word is bond. 

I agree he needs to be stronger.  A NFL training program should help.

• Content Count:  526

Obviously all the pro scouts know what we already knew...Smith didn't deserve the NCAAFB rushing record.  I think that some of the RBs ranked lower than him are actually better than him. 

Top 25 RB Prospects in 2008 NFL Draft

Prospect School Height Weight Speed

1. Darren McFadden Arkansas 6-2 212 4.40

2. Rashard Mendenhall Illinois 5-11 225 4.55

3. Jonathan Stewart Oregon 5-11 233 4.50

4. Felix Jones Arkansas 6-0 1/4 205 4.40

5. Jamaal Charles Texas 6-1 1/4 205 4.38

6. Chris Johnson East Carolina 5-10 1/2 195 4.25

7. Ray Rice Rutgers 5-9 197 4.55

8. Mike Hart Michigan 5-9 200 4.50

9. Matt Forte Tulane 6-1 1/8 221 4.58

10. Kevin Smith Central Florida 6-1 3/8 213 4.51

11. Steve Slaton West Virginia 5-10 196 4.43

12. Tashard Choice Georgia Tech 5-10 1/2 210 4.60

13. Justin Forsett Cal 5-7 3/4 190 4.55

14. Chauncey Washington USC 5-11 1/2 215 4.60

15. Thomas Brown Georgia 5-8 5/8 199 4.55

16. Cory Boyd South Carolina 6-0 7/8 212 4.50

17. Allen Patrick Oklahoma 6-0 7/8 197 4.50

18. Rafael Little Kentucky 5-8 7/8 194 4.50

19. Anthony Alridge Houston 5-9 166 4.39

20. Dantrell Savage Oklahoma State 5-8 1/4 187 4.43

21. Benjarvus Green-Ellis Mississippi 5-10 5/8 224 4.50

22. Kalvin McRae Ohio 5-9 205 4.55

23. Ryan Torain Arizona State 6-0 214 4.55

24. Yvenson Bernard Oregon State 5-8 1/4 202 4.64

25. Jalen Parmele Toledo 5-11 1/4 219 4.52

• Content Count:  500

I see no ties to USF athletics.... wrong board!

Archived