• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kevin Smith pegged as a 4th round draft pick....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

4.56 the second time.  Going from 4.43-4.56 is a bit  ???

The 2nd run he didn't have as smooth of a start off the block as the first.

I'd say he has 4.5 speed, and he meaured in at 6' 1.5" inches and 217 lbs. 

I'd say this combine helps Smith.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yeah ive always had him as a mid 4.5 guy so the second time lines up a bit with my expectations.  I think unless he lights it up in the shuttle or the position drills his stock will stay the same.  If he ran two good times in a row i could see it helping him but that second time will put doubt in peoples heads about his true speed. 

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Just ran a good 40 that should help his stock. 

Actually, at his size/weight, a 4.43 isn't really special.  Not saying it is anything that'll hurt him, but it won't help him move up draft boards.

4.56 the second time.  Going from 4.43-4.56 is a bit  ???

The 2nd run he didn't have as smooth of a start off the block as the first.

I'd say he has 4.5 speed, and he meaured in at 6' 1.5" inches and 217 lbs. 

I'd say this combine helps Smith.

I disagree, I didn't see anything that helps him.  The problem for Kevin is that some others that are ranked right around him may have helped themselves.

Official top 10 times are up on the combine site and Smith isn't in the top 10 for the 40.  Means his best time was slower than 4.48. 

• Content Count:  442

You draft experts amuse me.  Remind me again where Hall was drafted and his 40 speed.  (btw, I personally thought Hall was a Stud)

You draft experts amuse me.  Remind me again where Hall was drafted and his 40 speed.  (btw, I personally thought Hall was a Stud)

Hall ran a 4.4 at the combine if i remember correctly.  Has was also undersized and had trouble picking up NFL playbooks which was what scared most teams away.  He took advantage of the opportunities he got this year when presented with PT.  Other than his size hall had the measurables just needed sometime to get his mental game on par with his physical.    The two are similar runners but Hall is the better athlete of the two IMO. 

What does that have to do with the discussion regarding Smith's draft?  Nothing.  So, this is just another episode of the ucIFer doesn't like what's being posted and tries to spin off in another direction.  Tune in next week for the reruns.

Official top 10 times are up on the combine site and Smith isn't in the top 10 for the 40.   Means his best time was slower than 4.48. 

So far, he hasn't broken into the top ten for any workout.  Since I had him pegged as the #10 RB, I'd say he definitely didn't do anything to increase that ranking.  I'm not a pro scout, but I haven't seen him rated any higher than 6 or 7 (with most in the 10 to 12 range), and I think that he didn't do what he needed to get that kind of draft position.

The guys that likely improved their chances today are Jalen Parmele, Carl Stewart, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Chad Simpson, and Thomas Brown.  When you figure that Mendenhall, McFadden, Jonathon Stewart, Jamaal Charles, and Felix Jones pretty much guaranteed top 10 RB selections, look at the guys that were likely in that list already that improved today, and then look at who's still missing from that list (Slaton, Hart, and Rice), Kevin may find his stock dropped simply because other really stood out.

To be honest, the RB draft is looking deep to me this year.

• Content Count:  162

I think Smith came in and was bigger than expected.  He was listed at 6'1" 210 lbs on the UCF roster, and he came in a half inch taller and 7 lbs heavier.  That's a positive because a lot of times athletes come in and are shorter and lighter than the teams' rosters indicate.

Most of the pro scout's analysis that I have seen talks about he impresses on film, and how he has deceptive speed because he is a long strider.  They were questioning his speed and I think what scouts were worried about was that he would come in and run in the 4.7 range.  That didn't happen.  Of course he could have launched himself into a much better position had he run in the low 4.4's officially.

It's a tremendously deep RB draft, but after today I didn't see that guys like Rice, Slaton, Hart put themselves ahead of Smith.  McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones, Johnson, and Charles are ahead of him, and possibly Forte.  In my humble opinion of course,

Archived