• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kevin Smith is coming back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

HUGE MISTAKE!  Especially with him playing RB.  I could see a QB taking another run at a BCS school with a chance to do something special like Leinart (more NCs, possibly second heisman and possibility of injury at that position is relatively low and as a QB he'd still have time to heal and get in the NFL).

But for a RB at a non BCS school where the Liberty Bowl is their best exposure and had to carry the rock 400+ times is CRAZY!  If anything, he repeats what he did this year and the knock on him will be he's had TOO MANY CARRIES on his body just like Ray Rice is getting.

Staying on the advice of your coach whose very existence depends on YOU is not a smart move.  Take Smith off that team, and UCF is hardly better than a .500 team even in that conference.

My money is on this becoming a sob story next season...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

HUGE MISTAKE!  Especially with him playing RB.  I could see a QB taking another run at a BCS school with a chance to do something special like Leinart (more NCs, possibly second heisman and possibility of injury at that position is relatively low and as a QB he'd still have time to heal and get in the NFL).

But for a RB at a non BCS school where the Liberty Bowl is their best exposure and had to carry the rock 400+ times is CRAZY!  If anything, he repeats what he did this year and the knock on him will be he's had TOO MANY CARRIES on his body just like Ray Rice is getting.

Staying on the advice of your coach whose very existence depends on YOU is not a smart move.  Take Smith off that team, and UCF is hardly better than a .500 team even in that conference.

My money is on this becoming a sob story next season...

Unfortunately, yes :(

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

According to the UCF web site, he's a "Liberal Studies" major (Link You may have to highlight the black area at the bottom of the page to actually SEE that information, by the way).  For those who don't know what that is, check out the following link from UCF's own newspaper:

http://media.www.centralfloridafuture.com/media/storage/paper174/news/2003/02/10/Lifestyles/Athletes.Flock.To.Certain.Majors-365352.shtml

Athletes flock to certain majors

Liberal studies, other majors perceived as less challenging, attract athletes

Stephen Hirst

Certain majors, such as physical education, building construction, criminal justice and, perhaps most typically, liberal studies, attract a large number of student-athletes.

The extensive enrollment of student-athletes, particularly (but by no means exclusively) football or basketball players, in such academic programs has earned them the unflattering title of "jock majors."

Athletes at universities across the nation tend to study in such majors, and the trend holds true at UCF as well.

A recent study conducted by The Chronicle of Higher Education, which analyzed the majors of football players at UCF and other universities, revealed some startling statistics about UCF's football team.

Among all undergraduate students, the most popular major was business administration, claiming nine percent of students.

The football team holds true to the make-up of the general undergraduate population, with nine percent of the players majoring in business administration. However, some particular majors draw a majority of the team.

More than a fifth of the team, 22 percent, majors in liberal studies. The next most popular majors among the players were general business, administration or management with 16 percent. The criminal justice program claims 15 percent of the players.

The numbers for business majors are only slightly higher than the rest of the student body, but the other two represent a disproportionately high percentage. Some feel that liberal studies in particular may appeal to athletes because of the relative ease and lower admission requirements of the major. The bare minimum 2.0 GPA necessary to gain acceptance into the program and also for graduation falls far below the stringent 3.0 and above that many other majors require.

Carl Mooney, the football team's academic adviser, thinks the answer lays partly in the diversity of content that liberal studies offers.

"Liberal studies offer a greater variety of choices," Mooney said. "Any time you are talking about programs in that field, you are choosing between two areas of emphasis and one minor."

Although the flexibility is a selling point for most, the concern is that the graduate will be a "jack of all trades, master of none."

Senior elementary education major Jodi Farbstein, 21, admits she sometimes has a preconception of liberal studies majors. "I think of someone who doesn't really have a clear idea of what they want to do," Farbstein said. "I believe that those types of majors are set up to be especially well-rounded ... but at the expense of any specific knowledge."

Mooney also noted that athletes do not have as much free time as most of their peers, possibly influencing them to steer clear of more study-intensive and time consuming majors.

"While many students have jobs or work at an internship during the summer, college athletes haven't had those summer months available," Mooney said. "Many of them are busy with weight training or running during that time, continually training to stay in peak condition."

Although the study in The Chronicle focuses on football, Mooney believes that the trend is not limited to just a university's marquee sports. He contends that ambitious athletes, no matter the sport, will focus on their game and their training.

"For years there wasn't such an emphasis on women's sports," Mooney said. "Now, however, many female athletes are dedicated to improving over the summer. So I think this is a trend we could be seeing more and more in the future, all across the board."

Elliot Vittes, director for the office of liberal and interdisciplinary studies, believes that many athletes pursue liberal studies because the program makes a concerted effort to work so closely with the athletics department.

"We take time to explain everything to the athletes. We obviously feel liberal studies is a worthy and important major, and we give them a very comprehensive campaign," Vittes said.

While some students view the program as an automatic way to easy A's, Vittes takes a very different stance on the matter.

"I don't believe it's that simple. The student must complete a full 56 credits in the program," Vittes said. "It's a busy schedule, but it allows students to fit in different mixes of classes that they wouldn't otherwise experience ... to get the most out of college."

"That's why I think that many athletes opt for such a flexible academic program. In fact, two of the highest-profile athletes to ever attend UCF were in liberal studies -- Michelle Akers and Daunte Culpepper," Vittes said.

While Akers went on to become a soccer legend and star of the 1999 USA Women's World Cup team, and Culpepper (though he never completed his degree) now starts in the NFL for the Minnesota Vikings, not every athlete has the rare combination of ability and desire to play his or her sport for a living.

That's what is at the heart of the survey: underlying concern for the athletes' well being. There is a growing fear that some college athletes are not receiving the education they need to thrive in the job market, or do not know what to do with their degrees after graduation if they can't play professionally.

Just to clarify... Kevin Smith, the Liberal Studies major, is staying in school to (according to some UCF posters) finish his Liberal Studies degree that is basically worthless in the real world, foregoing millions of NFL dollars by trusting the advice of his obviously-biased head coach (who, coincidentally, is known nationally as a charlatan) who claimed to "work his NFL contacts" to find out Smith's potential and without Smith actually petitioning the NFL for his draft status.

Yeah, that's a good decision.  ::)

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Just to clarify... Kevin Smith, the Liberal Studies major, is staying in school to (according to some UCF posters) finish his Liberal Studies degree that is basically worthless in the real world, foregoing millions of NFL dollars by trusting the advice of his obviously-biased head coach (who, coincidentally, is known nationally as a charlatan) who claimed to "work his NFL contacts" to find out Smith's potential and without Smith actually petitioning the NFL for his draft status.

Yeah, that's a good decision.   ::)

This sums it up...

• Content Count:  2,239

Yeah, that's a good decision.  ::)

If you haven't seen the transcript from the press conference, one of the things he wants to accomplish is to graduate.  His mother is a teacher, so I'm pretty sure she played a big role in pushing him to finish his education.  From what Smith said during the same conference, he was the one doing the investigative work.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Yeah, that's a good decision.   ::)

If you haven't seen the transcript from the press conference, one of the things he wants to accomplish is to graduate.  His mother is a teacher, so I'm pretty sure she played a big role in pushing him to finish his education.  From what Smith said during the same conference, he was the one doing the investigative work.

If he wants to come back fine.  However, please tell me that he has availed himself of or will the NFL's program to determine where he would be drafted.  I would hope USF players (like Mike Jenkins did last year) would also check that route rather than rely solely on the coaches.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

That's great, and it's really admirable as well.  I truly mean that.  KS seems like a really nice kid and I wish absolutely nothing but the best for him.

However, the kid is taking the risk of perhaps a career-ending injury that would kill any chance of him making a dime in the NFL.  Coupled with the fact that his stock will probably never be higher than it is right now... can you honestly tell me you think this is the best decision for HIM (not for UCF)? 

For example, I said to my wife numerous times this year that, while I thought George Selvie was too young and small for the NFL, if it came out that he would somehow be a high draft pick in line to make insane money... bye bye USF, and I wouldn't fault him one iota for it. 

School will always be there.  It isn't going anywhere.  Just ask Joe Namath.  NFL careers don't drop into your lap every day, and they're also short and fleeting.  I hope for his sake that he isn't getting steered into a bum deal by O'Leary and that he'll do his own due diligence and THEN make a decision.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

That's great, and it's really admirable as well.  I truly mean that.  KS seems like a really nice kid and I wish absolutely nothing but the best for him.

However, the kid is taking the risk of perhaps a career-ending injury that would kill any chance of him making a dime in the NFL.  Coupled with the fact that his stock will probably never be higher than it is right now... can you honestly tell me you think this is the best decision for HIM (not for UCF)? 

For example, I said to my wife numerous times this year that, while I thought George Selvie was too young and small for the NFL, if it came out that he would somehow be a high draft pick in line to make insane money... bye bye USF, and I wouldn't fault him one iota for it. 

School will always be there.  It isn't going anywhere.  Just ask Joe Namath.  NFL careers don't drop into your lap every day, and they're also short and fleeting.  I hope for his sake that he isn't getting steered into a bum deal by O'Leary and that he'll do his own due diligence and THEN make a decision.

Actually a career threatening injury would be awful.  However, maybe worse is what another 450 carry season will do.  Most RBs only have so many carries.  NFL RBs get around 300-350 a season, with some exceptions.  KS's carries next year could have longer lasting effect and shorten a career by a season or two.

• Content Count:  442

You make some very valid points and I also had no problem with him leaving this year for the NFL.  The more I thought about it and talking to a few UCF people in the "know", I understand his decision.  This past year was really his break out year.  HIs freshman year was average, sophmore year was down with some injuries and then last year was outstanding.  But, while he only played a half (plus a little in the 3rd quarter) USF basically shut him down. With no argument from me, USF was the best run defense we faced all year.  Smith needs to show he can perform against the Top level defenses.  He also does need to add some upper body strenght and as he said increase his speed. (all things he said in his press conference)  Sounds like he did put alot of thought and research into his decision.  Hopefully, it was the correct decision.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If Selvie has a similar season and puts on 10-20 pounds I expect him to be gone next year.  If he returns for his senior season as a fan of GS I would be disappointed.  As a USF fan and season ticket holder I would be elated!

Archived