• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kevin Smith is coming back

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

He knows he will never do well against NFL calibre competition.

FWIW, ESPN's Robert Smith said that he thought Smith would be as good a running back in the NFL as McFadden...

Well, Trip, that's Robert Smith's opinion.  He is in the business, so maybe his opinion is better informed than mine.  However, I am not sure how he can arrive at that opinion when the only time he has seen Smith go up against any kind of defense, he doesn't quite measure up to McFadden.  And that is not figuring in the advanced level of competition when going up to the NFL.  I think with the number of sportscasters there are and it not being an exact science, we can probably find a sportscaster to say anything about anyone if we look hard enough.

That's why I prefaced it with "FWIW" .... although Robert Smith is an ex rb and probably is better informed on that position than any of us. Thing is, when evaluating positions like rb you also have to take into consideration the other key component in the OL when talking about level of competition. When the UCF OL is going up against equal talent, you saw what K Smith did. I think it was also pointed out somewhere that he got more yards against MSU than McFadden did.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  0

I was being sarcastic.  Like I said in another thread, we havent started one thread on this board about your bowl game.  Yet, there is topic after topic about everything UCF started by USF fans. 

I am not going to talk trash about your bowl game because you beat us on the field.  But, its obvious to me that at least on this board USF fans are the one with the obsession about UCF. 

• Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

I was being sarcastic.  Like I said in another thread, we havent started one thread on this board about your bowl game.  Yet, there is topic after topic about everything UCF started by USF fans. 

I am not going to talk trash about your bowl game because you beat us on the field.  But, its obvious to me that at least on this board USF fans are the one with the obsession about UCF. 

I would have to agree. There are some (but not all) USF fans on this board with a very bizarre obsession with UCF.  I don't know where it comes from.  I'm happy to see UCF do so well in CUSA and put in a respectable bowl performance.  I wish the UCF-obsessed Bulls fans would just go ahead and buy an inflatable Golden Knight and a tube of KY and get a room somewhere. 

• Content Count:  709

UCF had the 73rd ranked SOS this year.  With that competition, if I left my cane on the bench, they would be comparing ME to Barry Sanders!

He actually did look good in many games, but what he was playing against would make many look good.

Ah, another idiotic post.  You realize EVERY back in CUSA played against that competition.  Now, I will go slow for you here grandpa....

How many others were in position to break Sanders' record?

Good answer!

• Content Count:  709

He knows he will never do well against NFL calibre competition.

FWIW, ESPN's Robert Smith said that he thought Smith would be as good a running back in the NFL as McFadden...

Well, Trip, that's Robert Smith's opinion.  He is in the business, so maybe his opinion is better informed than mine.  However, I am not sure how he can arrive at that opinion when the only time he has seen Smith go up against any kind of defense, he doesn't quite measure up to McFadden.  And that is not figuring in the advanced level of competition when going up to the NFL.  I think with the number of sportscasters there are and it not being an exact science, we can probably find a sportscaster to say anything about anyone if we look hard enough.

I don't think UCF sucks.  I would have to see them play against a schedule a little higher than 73rd.  At that level, I doubt anyone can say anthing with any credibility.  And after our bowl game, I wouldn't say anyone sucks right now.

Gramps, you are off your game.

Smith outrushed McFadden against a common opponent.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

UCF had the 73rd ranked SOS this year.  With that competition, if I left my cane on the bench, they would be comparing ME to Barry Sanders!

He actually did look good in many games, but what he was playing against would make many look good.

Ah, another idiotic post.  You realize EVERY back in CUSA played against that competition.  Now, I will go slow for you here grandpa....

Good answer!

Actually, "grandpa's" answer was pretty good considering that 3 of the Top 10 rushers in the NCAA came out of the CUSA and both of the other two had a better ypc than Smith. Only thing that allowed him to be in position to break the record rather than the other two is the fact that he got more carries from the extra games and being the only offense UCF had.

More facts to back up Dad's answer. Heres the rankings (out of 119) for the rush defenses Smith faced:

8 Texas

18 South Fla

48 Houston

50 East Caro.

63 Mississippi St.

90 North Carolina St.

93 Marshall

97 Tulsa

97 Tulsa

100 Southern Methodist

104 Memphis

105 UTEP

113 La.-Lafayette

119 UAB

So, basically Dad's assessment of the quality of competition Smith faced was pretty much dead-on .....

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, we suck.  UCF is worse than Buffalo.  It's awful, why would anyone ever want to coach there.  We pay our coaches in monopoly money and we practice in a lawn mower shed.  Our stadium is going to collapse any day and John Hitt is conspiring to kill everyone with heat exhaustion.

That is step 1... good job.

• Content Count:  3,574

Good answer!

Actually, "grandpa's" answer was pretty good considering that 3 of the Top 10 rushers in the NCAA came out of the CUSA and both of the other two had a better ypc than Smith. Only thing that allowed him to be in position to break the record rather than the other two is the fact that he got more carries from the extra games and being the only offense UCF had.

More facts to back up Dad's answer. Heres the rankings (out of 119) for the rush defenses Smith faced:

8 Texas

18 South Fla

48 Houston

50 East Caro.

63 Mississippi St.

90 North Carolina St.

93 Marshall

97 Tulsa

97 Tulsa

100 Southern Methodist

104 Memphis

105 UTEP

113 La.-Lafayette

119 UAB

So, basically Dad's assessment of the quality of competition Smith faced was pretty much dead-on .....

You're good.

+1

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He needs to cash in 400+ carries next year will kill his NFL dreams :)

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

If it is so easy, then why aren't there 2400 yard rushers every year?

If 2000 yards is such a difficult thing, why are there 2 in the same conference?

Was there really two 2000 yarders in CUSA?  Who was the other and how many carries did he have?

Rank        Player                       G Car   Net TD    Avg  Ydspgm

1. Kevin Smith, UCF                    13 415  2448 29   5.90  188.31

2. Matt Forte, Tulane                  12 361  2127 23   5.89  177.25

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default.asp?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-rushing.htm

UCF will be fine in CUSA.  If Tulane can find a back with similar yards per carry avg, then UCF can replace Smith for CUSA games. 

Archived