• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Bowl

JoeB

If WV beats UConn and we beat Pitt, then I think we stand a good shot at either Gator or Sun Bowl.

Sun Bowl doesnt really need a HUGE travelling party from the schools and theyll look at what will get them best TV ratings.

I really think that Meineke is going to go after UConn because they will think that the northern traveling base will be larger for their bowl.

Papajohns will probably go to Cincy since they went to Toronto last year and Rutgers goes to Toronto.

I'm not real sure that UConn has a huge traveling base.  You have to remember that they've only been D-I school for about 5 or 6 years.

Some people assume that because they travel for U Conn BBall, their fans will travel for U Conn FBall...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

I remember that they had a pretty good showing at their Motor City Bowl

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

UConn brought over 5k to the Motor City Bowl. I would guess that they could pull the sameamount as us anywhere except maybe the Gator (because we are close to Jax)

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

UConn brought over 5k to the Motor City Bowl. I would guess that they could pull the sameamount as us anywhere except maybe the Gator (because we are close to Jax)

Joe, where do you think we are going if we beat Pitt.  I say Meineke 50% chance, Intl 30% chance, Bham 20% chance.  A lot depends on 1) rankings next week.  2) our performance next week, 3) other scores from around the BE/other teams performances.  4) final conference and overall standings 5) Potential Travel and TV #'s (not as big a factor as most think, I've seen a number of articles on this) - the bowls are partners with the conferences, even though the bowls make the choices, they don't want to make the conference/teams angry for next round of negotiations by bypassing a bunch of teams.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I too would prefer Charlotte or Jacksonville, but I brought it up for the airline question.  It would be cool to play a PAC 10 team though.  Get our name out there on the Left Coast as a major football player.

Does anyone recall any airline giving discounts from certain cities to certain cities for bowl game purposes??  This is what we have to hope for if we end up in Old El Paso.  I'll call it the Salsa Bowl.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

its almost a $400 flight... wow

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

Phoenix to Charlotte is $600 (again)...I'm liking El Paso for selfish reasons.  I don't think it's good for the Bulls, but it'd be nice for the few out this way.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

TX. I would guess Charlotte v. Wake Forest.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

...giving discounts from certain cities to certain cities for bowl game purposes

I've never heard of that. And if you're going the independent route, you would have the option

of shopping around and cutting your own deal (e.g. Fly out Thursday, back on Tuesday) as opposed

to the university package (though I've heard nothing but good on those, so that might be the way

to go..less effort).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

We were online last night pricing flights from here (TPA) to El Paso (also tried Albuquerqe) and things ain't cheap.  Cheapest flights with crappy times were $426.  A little better in times and it was $463.  After that it was around $500 or better.  Problem is that as soon as they announce, more tix are sold and prices go up.  I was using Travelocity and then went to Southwest's site (not searched by Travelocity).  Their prices were actually worse.  The ticket prices going up after announcement of the bowl happened 2 years ago with Charlotte. The evening that the game was announced we saw prices go from about $500 to $900.

We're hoping for Charlotte. With it not being on New Year's Eve we can make the drive.  Even though we won last year at Birmingham it was a crappy stadium and not sure if we would make the trip again this year for the Pizza Bowl.  I really like the possibility of us playing Cal in El Paso but that is a lot of money for flights and no chance to drive to that one.

Archived