• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Bowl

JoeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

If we get invited to the Sun Bowl how many fans will show up?  There is no easy way to get to El Paso from Tampa aside from a $600 flight.  Is there a chance that some of the airlines would have discounted fares from Tampa to El Paso just because of the bowl game?  I know its around the New Years Holiday, so that doesn't help either.  I just don't understand how they expect the regular fans to go to a place like El Paso with the cost being what it is.

Anybody know more about this? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I dunno bout I'm out of loan money for the semester, and the Meineke Car Care Bowl is on the same say (Dec. 31st) as the Sun Bowl, so I'd prefer to go to Charlotte anyways. I don't see it as a "lesser" bowl other than it picks one team behind the Sun Bowl. Around here, the Gator Bowl is known to be a "higher" bowl game because it has a lot of name recognition and it is on Jan 1st, so I'd consider that an upgrade. But considering the travel distance and cost without a significant upgrade in bowl prestige, I'd prefer the Meineke Bowl over the Sun Bowl.

In addition, most fans on this coast don't know much about or care much about Pac-10 teams. Kinda like most fans on the West Coast don't pay as much attention to the Big East. Playing an ACC team in Charlotte > Playing a Pac-10 team in El Paso

I dunno bout I'm out of loan money for the semester, and the [glow=yellow,2,300]Meineke Car Care Bowl is on the same say (Dec. 31st)[/glow] as the Sun Bowl, so I'd prefer to go to Charlotte anyways. I don't see it as a "lesser" bowl other than it picks one team behind the Sun Bowl. Around here, the Gator Bowl is known to be a "higher" bowl game because it has a lot of name recognition and it is on Jan 1st, so I'd consider that an upgrade. But considering the travel distance and cost without a significant upgrade in bowl prestige, I'd prefer the Meineke Bowl over the Sun Bowl.

Meineke is on December 29th, not the 31st...

2007 Meineke Car Care Bowl Set for

Saturday, December 29 at 1:00 p.m.

Sixth-Annual Bowl Will Be Televised on ESPN

Charlotte, N.C. – The 2007 Meineke Car Care Bowl will take place on Saturday, December 29, 2007, with a 1:00 p.m. kickoff, televised nationally on ESPN, it was announced today by Raycom Sports, owner and operator of the game. The Meineke Car Care Bowl is played at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C.

http://www.meinekecarcarebowl.com/07date.htm

Sorry, wasn't paying attention when I read on another post that it was on the 31st like 5 mins ago, should have looked it up before posting. Anyways, I don't think that changes my opinion of which game I'd rather see us go to, but perhaps there is a bit of a decrease in prestige due to the later Sun Bowl date.

On the other hand, I've never understood if there is increasing prestige with later bowl date (in general, as a rule of thumb), why it is that the International Bowl and the GMAC bowl are in January.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention when I read on another post that it was on the 31st like 5 mins ago, should have looked it up before posting. Anyways, I don't think that changes my opinion of which game I'd rather see us go to, but perhaps there is a bit of a decrease in prestige due to the later Sun Bowl date.

On the other hand, I've never understood if there is increasing prestige with later bowl date (in general, as a rule of thumb), why it is that the International Bowl and the GMAC bowl are in January.

The prestige comes from history... older, established bowls were New Year's Eve and New Year's Day... as new bowls cropped up, and so ESPN could televise them, they were moved earlier and earlier... GMAC and International bowls want more TV viewers, so they moved after the holidays.

• Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

If WV beats UConn and we beat Pitt, then I think we stand a good shot at either Gator or Sun Bowl.

Sun Bowl doesnt really need a HUGE travelling party from the schools and theyll look at what will get them best TV ratings.

I really think that Meineke is going to go after UConn because they will think that the northern traveling base will be larger for their bowl.

Papajohns will probably go to Cincy since they went to Toronto last year and Rutgers goes to Toronto.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't thin we're going to Sun.  I think that is going to WVU/UConn loser.  I just don't see it, unless we blow out Pitt by 50 and make a huge jump in rankings.  Conn will have finished with a better in conference record.  I can definitely see us going to Meineke, if we win.  Lose at Pitt, and it's off to Toronto or Birmingham.

I don't thin we're going to Sun.  I think that is going to WVU/UConn loser.  I just don't see it, unless we blow out Pitt by 50 and make a huge jump in rankings.  [glow=yellow,2,300]Conn will have finished with a better in conference record.[/glow]  I can definitely see us going to Meineke, if we win.  Lose at Pitt, and it's off to Toronto or Birmingham.

You may be right about the Sun, but the conference records won't be part of the mix.

In fact, if U Conn loses this week and Rutgers wins next week, I can see Rutgers getting the bid to El Paso over U Conn.

• Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

If WV beats UConn and we beat Pitt, then I think we stand a good shot at either Gator or Sun Bowl.

Sun Bowl doesnt really need a HUGE travelling party from the schools and theyll look at what will get them best TV ratings.

I really think that Meineke is going to go after UConn because they will think that the northern traveling base will be larger for their bowl.

Papajohns will probably go to Cincy since they went to Toronto last year and Rutgers goes to Toronto.

I'm not real sure that UConn has a huge traveling base.  You have to remember that they've only been D-I school for about 5 or 6 years.

Archived