• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Bowl

JoeB

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,467
  • Days Won:  13

I too would prefer Charlotte or Jacksonville, but I brought it up for the airline question.  It would be cool to play a PAC 10 team though.  Get our name out there on the Left Coast as a major football player.

Does anyone recall any airline giving discounts from certain cities to certain cities for bowl game purposes??  This is what we have to hope for if we end up in Old El Paso.  I'll call it the Salsa Bowl.

why would an airline give a discount when they can sell the flights at full price?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Can not go to the sun bowl too much money. I

I can not go to the sun bowl too much money!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Nothing is set or finalized yet, just wanted to let you know that this will be an option for folks.  We have added planes as they fill up in the past, with slightly different departure times obviously.  We'll keep you posted but we don't have any tentative times or dates as of yet.

Eric

The people I've talked to - who went this route - were very pleased with the outcome. It's minimal work on your part, all you have to do is purchase whatever options you want - and everything else is taken care of. The outlay was pretty much on par with what they were seeing had they gone it alone (hotel, transport, air fare).

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Nothing is set or finalized yet, just wanted to let you know that this will be an option for folks.  We have added planes as they fill up in the past, with slightly different departure times obviously.  We'll keep you posted but we don't have any tentative times or dates as of yet.

Eric

The people I've talked to - who went this route - were very pleased with the outcome. It's minimal work on your part, all you have to do is purchase whatever options you want - and everything else is taken care of. The outlay was pretty much on par with what they were seeing had they gone it alone (hotel, transport, air fare).

We took the charter last year and had a great time.  Other than the delay getting up there, everything was really easy and well organized.  We plan on doing this again this year if we go anywhere other than Charlotte.  Charlotte we are driving.

And also --- 100 posts for me!!!!

• Content Count:  213

I would recommend going the charter route. As someone who has flown between Tampa and Texas in late December for a number of years, there is never any price break at that time of year...The charter makes a lot of sense.

I would also note that the Sun Bowl has a well-deserved great reputation as a great party. With Juarez right over the border, a good time may be had by all.

• Content Count:  1,238

I dunno bout I'm out of loan money for the semester, and the Meineke Car Care Bowl is on the same say (Dec. 31st) as the Sun Bowl, so I'd prefer to go to Charlotte anyways. I don't see it as a "lesser" bowl other than it picks one team behind the Sun Bowl. Around here, the Gator Bowl is known to be a "higher" bowl game because it has a lot of name recognition and it is on Jan 1st, so I'd consider that an upgrade. But considering the travel distance and cost without a significant upgrade in bowl prestige, I'd prefer the Meineke Bowl over the Sun Bowl.

Yeah i love the bulls but theres no way i can get out to el paso for the sun bowl.

• Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

I don't thin we're going to Sun.  I think that is going to WVU/UConn loser.  I just don't see it, unless we blow out Pitt by 50 and make a huge jump in rankings.  Conn will have finished with a better in conference record.  I can definitely see us going to Meineke, if we win.  Lose at Pitt, and it's off to Toronto or Birmingham.

your analysis seems correct

why would usf get a better bowl than cincy or uconn?

Because all THREE teams would be 9-3 and USF would probably be the HIGHEST ranked of the three.

Once again the Bowl invite has nothing to do with who finished higher nor who beat who. It has more to do with # of fans traveling and who might be better for TV ratings.

Archived