• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A UCF Perspective

We still both have a different view on what a "rivalry" is, though ...

How would you define it??

Maybe there are two types ..... I see your geographic aspect in one regard but rivalries are also born from playing often with things on the line. Maybe I'm looking at from more a pro point of view but I believe the chance for my kind of rivalry with L'ville is there.

I understand where you're coming from.  Tampa Bay -- Philly has a good rivalry because of the Bucs-Eagles and the Lightning-Flyers matchups in the playoffs.

But most rivalries were not developed because something was on the line... they were developed based on things like pride, bragging rights, etc.

Heck, the none of the previous 3 USF-UL games really had anything on the line (other than our first ever conference home games in 2003 and 2005)...   The USF-U Conn game last year had more on the line for USF...

10 years from now, this conversation will be moot... either because USF-UCF is an annual game or because we really have developed a good rivalry with another team(s).

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614
  • Days Won:  0

So your point is we should try to build a rivalry with Louisville, WV, Pitt etc? I could not agree more, thanks.

Um. No.  You really do not understand what it means to be a rival, do you?

First, we won't have a "rivalry" with those teams.  Why?  Because they are so far away.  Only Notre Dame can have long distance rivialries.  To have a real rivalry, there needs to be a lot of overlap among the hometowns and high schools of the players involved.  You also need to have significant ability for the visiting school's fans to make a road trip.

Second, with five OOC games - including trying to land 3 of those at home every other year, I fail to understand why we should avoid UCF.  Puc said that beggars can't be choosers -- well, USF is actually in the begging position, with three open dates on our schedule in 2007.

Does it mean to play a team once in a game that was not competitive?

Huh?

Apparently you must have gone to UCF.

Right now, USF does not have any rivals.  Period.  Yes, we have Big East opponents -- but how many of us root for them when they play OOC games?  I would say that Michgian fans NEVER root for Ohio State.  I would say that Florida State fans NEVER root for Florida.

Rivalries do not, contrary to what some people say, develop on their own.  Why? Because someone actually has to schedule the games ON PURPOSE.  Sure, we could develop a great rivalry with Texas... oh but we'll never play them... but they could be a big rival for us...  ::) ::) ::)

So, for now, I say let's keep beating the everlovingcrap out of UCF every year... unless and until the UM series materializes.

According to Miriam-Webster those three along with Syracuse, Cincinati, Rutgers, and   UConn are all rivals of USF in the BE.

rivalry

One entry found for rivalry.

Main Entry: ri·val·ry

Pronunciation: 'rI-v&l-rE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ries

: the act of rivaling : the state of being a rival : COMPETITION

rival

3 entries found for rival.

To select an entry, click on it.

Main Entry: 1ri·val

Pronunciation: 'rI-v&l

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin rivalis one using the same stream as another, rival in love, from rivalis of a stream, from rivus stream -- more at RUN

1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  60

Here is one discussion I can think of

http://florida.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=865&tid=75280514&sid=&style=2

here is another

http://florida.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=865&tid=76119068&sid=&style=2

The fact that I made mistakes in my post about a few things does not negate the fact that UCF will be BCS in 3 years and will be the better program. Until we beat you, you can brag all you want, but being from Tampa Bay I can see that USF has hit a plateau it will not climb over until it gets an on-campus stadium and better academics. Ultimately, this is why UCF will surpass SFU.

Everyone knows that the USF ugly-a** campus over ther by fowler and fletcher is a crackhead-infested run-down university. ITs why I didnt go there in the first place. Who the hell wants to live in fontana hall when they can live in the beautiful, prestine Orlando East area. I am now moving back down to the Sarasota area with the prospect of getting my MBA at USF. You think I would do that? Its a garbage school! Fortune 50 companies laugh at a degree in business from SFU. I will yank one from UCF executive MBA program, Rollins or UF. Lets face it Tampa is a run down city. Everyone in the Gulf Beaches like longboat key, anna maria, clearwater beach know what a ******** tampa is. Dont sit and brag about Hyde park, riverwalk, or westshore. Ultimately, UCF academically and athletically will be a clear-cut favorite over USF. USF does get the athletic crack-head from Tampa that can play ball which is why they have beat us in the past. However, your recruiting tactics will hurt you. Cartlon Hill going JUCO, losing 10 recruits. As soon as your superior linebacking corp graduates you are screwed. Who do you have at your most important positions: QB: Julemiss RB: No more cant make the Bucs, Mr. Hall.

I am loving this year and the next 5 as UCF goes to the BE, ACC, or SEC and you guys are screwed. There has already been a vote by all the SEC AD's that if Arkansas leaves they would like UCF to fill the spot. Its about $$$$. 10th biggest TV market, tons of financial backing, and the 6th biggest enrollment.

Besides getting BCS affiliation, what moves are you making to take your program to the next level?

Oh yes we did buy out to Tennesse and NC State and yes I did know that. However, we did sign up for Texas and Florida moron.

The more you guys act like you are the shi%, the more I love it because when the sleeping giant rips you apart and throws you aside, you will totally taken by suprise.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

So I must have went to UCF because I do not understand how we are automatically rivals with UCF? Do I root for them? No, Why? Not because I hate them but because I do not care about them and have no idea what is going on whith them on a weekly basis. You can try to redefine rival all you want but I do not know of any rivalry that was born over night. What makes UCF our rival becasue it certainly is not tradition. For the life of me I cannot figure out why it is so important to some that we develop an in-state rivalry imediately and at the cost of quality of the rival. Why should we settle for UCF? Was U of T busy (alot of people at UCF consider Stetson to be a rival).

You said it yourself most rivals are in conference, WHY? Because those games matter!!!

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

The fact that I made mistakes in my post about a few things does not negate the fact that UCF will be BCS in 3 years and will be the better program. Until we beat you, you can brag all you want, but being from Tampa Bay I can see that USF has hit a plateau it will not climb over until it gets an on-campus stadium and better academics. Ultimately, this is why UCF will surpass SFU.

Everyone knows that the USF ugly-a** campus over ther by fowler and fletcher is a crackhead-infested run-down university. ITs why I didnt go there in the first place. Who the hell wants to live in fontana hall when they can live in the beautiful, prestine Orlando East area. I am now moving back down to the Sarasota area with the prospect of getting my MBA at USF. You think I would do that? Its a garbage school! Fortune 50 companies laugh at a degree in business from SFU. I will yank one from UCF executive MBA program, Rollins or UF. Lets face it Tampa is a run down city. Everyone in the Gulf Beaches like longboat key, anna maria, clearwater beach know what a ******** tampa is. Dont sit and brag about Hyde park, riverwalk, or westshore. Ultimately, UCF academically and athletically will be a clear-cut favorite over USF.

Wow, what logic.

UCF is pretty and USF is ugly.  That is why UCF will win.

Boy, you really nailed it home there.   ::)

I dont give a crap if we play South Florida. I think it is a waste of a OOC game when we are playing schools like Texas, Florida, and Miami. Especially, when we sell out our on campus stadium next year and expand to 65,000 seats the following year. I am not going to sit and beg for a game against USF. My arguement is you guys live out of reality. I mean you act like you are FSU, UF, or UM or something. Its so funny. A UCF fan will come on here and say "You know, you guys do have a better football team and until we beat you, you will be a better team".

You guys will act like the classless idiots you are and say: "USF is of another caliber". Its great you are so full of yourselves you dont even realized that you are being passed by. I challenge you to go to every major sports board for the major universities UF, UM, FSU. Ask them what they think about USF and UCF. Leave it an open-ended question. You will find that everyone thinks that USF fans are full of themselves ever since they entered the Big East. Its so hilarious!! I love this!! Its so much fun!!

Actually,

Campus environment does play a part in recruiting and enrollment. As soon as UCF is BCS, you guys will be clear-cut #5

As of the history, USF has had better teams and in football I dont know the history. I know you beat us last year, thats all I know. AS of the future of the PROGRAM. UCF will have the better PROGRAM.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

I am loving this year and the next 5 as UCF goes to the BE, ACC, or SEC and you guys are screwed. There has already been a vote by all the SEC AD's that if Arkansas leaves they would like UCF to fill the spot. Its about $$$$. 10th biggest TV market, tons of financial backing, and the 6th biggest enrollment.

link? any proof at all?

funny how every other thing I have heard says that if the SEC was ever in need of another team they would steal someone from the ACC like Clemson or Georgia Tech.  The SEC does not have to go get a non-BCS team if they are ever in need of another school, they can pluck any team from any conference they want because the SEC is THE premiere conference in the eastern part of the country, if not the nation.  And if the SEC expands from the ACC, the ACC will steal from the big east. So, IF UCF was to join a BCS conference in the next decade it would be the BE.  

There is no way in hell that the SEC would take UCF in the next 20 years, and that's giving you the benefit of the doubt

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

3 years? Back on page 2 of this very thread I asked what BCS conference UCF was going to be in and so far no has answered. Let's review again:

ACC - Finished expansion to 12 teams in 2005. No future expansion in 3 years

SEC - Not a chance

Big East - Again, once the new tv deal is made public it will keep in tact the 16 members for the next several years. There is no way the no football playing members would invite a football only member, which would be your only option.

Again, what BCS conference is UCF going to since you said UCF "will be BCS in 3 years"?

We've plateaued because of our stadium now? In case you haven't noticed our stadium is still going to be much nicer than your new OCS. UCF needed an OCS because the Citrus Bowl is a dump. You can't say the same for RJS. We will have own OCS when the time is right. The OCS will help UCF, but not to the tune of "surpassing" USF.

Going off about our campus just shows you have no valid points whatsoever. Your ignorance is amusing.