• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hill's QB Days Over at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

author=FreaKnight link=board=news;num=1151724499;start=45#49 date=07/02/06 at 13:25:03  Players will do things, but its the reaction by the coaches in my opinion thats important.  Leavitt clearly has a longer leash for his players when it comes to punishment for incidents like this.    

Actually its what the players DID that's important. Do you think if Carlton Hill raped someone he would still be with the team. Of course O'leary kicked him off the team, the actions were of a felony nature and even worse, violence against a female.

Leavitt's leash has been for incidents much different than O'learys. Our kids arent on campus with guns or raping women.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, your post was intended as a flame.

Hill's "strike one" occurred when he was still in HS. The "strike two" is pretty serious, but smoking pot occurs on every team in the country. The coaching staff, if not the university, will take appropriate action. I find it a bit of an insult that you say these things are "tolerated".

The bright spot to this is that the truest QB we have, Matt Grothe, will be ready to go this summer.

let's hope matt stays healthy or it's PJ again

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Smazza is right with Hill... Leavitt held his schollie even though C4 scored with the underage chick. Not giving C4 a chance to compete against Matt and PJ is wrong regardless of how much weed he smokes. Many players past and present (starters and non-starters) have dipped into the dime bag category. Most weren't caught... hell... one of the most talented players I played with would come to practice coked up and would still play unbelievable. He eventually got tossed for beating some chick down... but the coaches were not aware of his addiction.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

This is a perfect example of the moral relativism that is often expoused on this board and it is our society's acceptance of such that is the underlying cause of Hill's choices.  He likely comes from a 'hood in which weed is 'child's play'.

A bunch of white suburbanites have no idea what it is like to grow up in a culture in which over half of the homes have no father present.  What do you expect when rap stars are the role models?

Since you seem to be the expert on race, how do you know what race the posters on this board are?  Or that they're "white suburbanites"?  You're on here trying to sound like Dudley Do-right but you sound like a racist to me.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

There once was a day when athletes tried to get into shape and wanted to become the best player and representative they could be. That meant no smoking or drinking, or getting into compromising situations. I am sorry, but if someone who will be in the upper spotlight representing our school is breaking the law in ANY way, I do not want him to be a part of the team. There will be plenty of time in his life to thug it out and enjoy the party life. And SRQ and everyone else, there is only one RACE...the Human Race!!! Race or geographical area upbringing has nothing to do with this. If this player did not think smoking weed wasn't an illegal thing to do and his actions if caught was going to be minor, he is less intelligent than we all think and does not deserve to go to college. It's like the morons we deal with at the USF library. When it's closing time, and the front door is locked, they come walking right through the exit door thinking they are above the rules. End result, we have to reprimand then. Simple truth...break the rules...pay the penalty. Yhat is what has happened here.     Reaper

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There once was a day when athletes tried to get into shape and wanted to become the best player and representative they could be. That meant no smoking or drinking, or getting into compromising situations. I am sorry, but if someone who will be in the upper spotlight representing our school is breaking the law in ANY way, I do not want him to be a part of the team. There will be plenty of time in his life to thug it out and enjoy the party life. And SRQ and everyone else, there is only one RACE...the Human Race!!! Race or geographical area upbringing has nothing to do with this. If this player did not think smoking weed wasn't an illegal thing to do and his actions if caught was going to be minor, he is less intelligent than we all think and does not deserve to go to college. It's like the morons we deal with at the USF library. When it's closing time, and the front door is locked, they come walking right through the exit door thinking they are above the rules. End result, we have to reprimand then. Simple truth...break the rules...pay the penalty. Yhat is what has happened here.     Reaper

That is probably one of the most naive things I have ever heard...Im sorry MRebe, but atheletes have been drinking, doing drugs, and fornicating since athletics became an important part of society. The problem is the press did not key in on those aspects of the story. Sure there have been some atheletes who have gone by the model, however, it's more rare than you'd think.

Breaking the law is going to happen, especially around teens and young adults. ANd like Sherriff said, those who believe that C4 is the only one smoking pot on the team then I have some land to sell you on the moon.

This probably isn't the last time your going to hear a situation like this either. The bigger recruits you get, the more problems that come. The prima donna players have been handed them everything in life and think they're above the law.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

No one believes that Hill is the only one doing it.  But, if you do it and get caught, you should be prepared for the consequences.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I never said there should be consequences, 2-3 game suspension for Hill should get the point across and might actually improve the kid's lifestyle over kicking him off the team and letting himn transfer to the 1st school that comes running.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

That is probably one of the most naive things I have ever heard...Im sorry MRebe, but atheletes have been drinking, doing drugs, and fornicating since athletics became an important part of society. The problem is the press did not key in on those aspects of the story. Sure there have been some atheletes who have gone by the model, however, it's more rare than you'd think.

Breaking the law is going to happen, especially around teens and young adults. ANd like Sherriff said, those who believe that C4 is the only one smoking pot on the team then I have some land to sell you on the moon.

This probably isn't the last time your going to hear a situation like this either. The bigger recruits you get, the more problems that come. The prima donna players have been handed them everything in life and think they're above the law.

Way, way, way naive....some of you should wake up and smell the coffee.  This is a football factory pure and simple...football is a violent sport that people that are on this board treat these players like pieces of meat- thinking they have carte blanche to ridicule them for play, and to pat them on the back for good play (like a good housekeeper).  You're all EXPLOITERS!  I am an exploiter, I don't care enough about the kids it's all about the next recruiting class and what have you done for me lately.

A lot of hypocrites when something like this happens.  The fact is I really don't care, unless it's a violent crime where someone was truly victimized I just don't care and I simply expect the coach to weigh the crime, and deal accordingly.   Leavitt has proven time and again that he's not afraid to kick off super stars, or wonderful athletes, he's never compromised himself (despite what some ignorant UCF fans might state on other boards).  If you'd like names I can start rolling them off like John Brown, Devon Davis, Brian Fisher (Mr. Fisher is now gainfully employed by a big cell phone company in Tampa and his legal issues are behind him- THIS IS REALLY THE TRUTH), Rolando Clarke, Curtis Chance, Dorrean James, Johnny Peyton- don't be further naive and think some of these transfered because they wanted to.  I have full trust in however Leavitt chooses to handle this matter because he's handled these appropriately in the past.  Therefore I choose not to pass judgement on the kid with limited facts on the case, and his position with the team, just trusting my HC that he will do the right thing which ever way he chooses to go with it- and either way I support him.

To be super righteous about this type of crime is asinine.   You attend the games, you exploit the kids, you demand they shake your hand when you want, and give you an autograph when you want....but you aren't there to pat them on the back when THEY need it.  He's a young kid, actually he's a really nice kid, very cordial, and spirited if you ever meet him.  This was a mistake, he's being dealt with, and let's leave it alone.  Like Sheriff said, so many fans would be shocked if they knew the true underbelly of this sport.  Some of you fans would even be more shocked to know the truth, even about your favorite players- Bulls and not Bulls.