• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I know this might not sit well with some, but I think we need to take a look at the future of the USF softball team. I really am not able to grasp why we can't seem to field a team that vies for the conference championship each year (the last time we won was four years ago). Can someone explain how we can have a sub-.500 record in this conference?

I have always wondered (and stated here, every so often), how we can have a coach who led the USNT yet not recruit the talent that puts us in the upper echelon of college teams?  I've heard from several people that CKE does not put any personal effort in recruiting and that he delegates that task to assistants.  Perhaps he feels that blue-chip players should come to him?

Is it time CKE is thanked for his years of dedication, given an emeritus status, and we make a change?  I hate to say it and hope someone will correct me if I have misconceptions.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

I think Ken deserves to go out as he wants, but that said, if they struggle again next season and miss the postseason three straight years, he should probably make that call on his own. I agree that you’d think he’d have a little edge in recruiting because of his status with the national team. That hasn’t materialized. His teams have always been short on offense and power. Great pitching for the most part, but rarely any pop in the lineup.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Especially in this new conference I expect to be in the top every year. 

I don't know if this is the year you pull the plug but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I have been burned by too many nice guy type coaches at USF. I'm ready to get aggressive and look for winners. 

That being said if you play that game you may find yourself getting a new coach every 2 years (you either found a Rockstar who leaves or you gambled on a dud)

So some balance is warranted. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

I know this might not sit well with some, but I think we need to take a look at the future of the USF softball team. I really am not able to grasp why we can't seem to field a team that vies for the conference championship each year (the last time we won was four years ago). Can someone explain how we can have a sub-.500 record in this conference?

I have always wondered (and stated here, every so often), how we can have a coach who led the USNT yet not recruit the talent that puts us in the upper echelon of college teams?  I've heard from several people that CKE does not put any personal effort in recruiting and that he delegates that task to assistants.  Perhaps he feels that blue-chip players should come to him?

Is it time CKE is thanked for his years of dedication, given an emeritus status, and we make a change?  I hate to say it and hope someone will correct me if I have misconceptions.

Thanks for posting, as I was thinking the same thing. It does seem like softball is treading water, so to speak, and not progressing as a program.  Given the general improvement in USF athletics (not just football and men’s basketball, but in other sports like volleyball and track and field), I think that softball needs to start projecting upward also.  Not a criticism of anyone, just an observation, and I don’t know the solution either. 

As previously stated, this University has prioritized academics, and has now achieved success. Time to focus on athletics! 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

CKE coached the US team and recruiting, or coaching, seems to have fallen off. Jose is coaching the US team...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

CKE coached the US team and recruiting, or coaching, seems to have fallen off. Jose is coaching the US team...

Jose has more misses than hits since COVID. Before that, seemed like everyone he brought in from overseas ended up as a significant contributor. Not so much with the past few classes - feels like more one-and-dones because of lack of production than ever before. Every run has an end, still, Jose and Ken have a very long leash in my mind. Their sub-par seasons are still +.500. That said, we obviously need to dominate this league the way it’s made up if we have any designs on something better.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

13 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I think Ken deserves to go out as he wants, but that said, if they struggle again next season and miss the postseason three straight years, he should probably make that call on his own.

There really shouldn't even be a discussion about this, but hopefully like you said, he'll know when the time comes.  This 2 year non-NCAA drought is the longest since 2009-11, which directly preceded the WCWS. He, and CJF, have both earned with their overall body of work here to control their own destiny, IMO, and shouldn't be looked at with the same scrutiny the higher profile sports here have been ...... at least at this point in time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Jose has more misses than hits since COVID. Before that, seemed like everyone he brought in from overseas ended up as a significant contributor. Not so much with the past few classes - feels like more one-and-dones because of lack of production than ever before. Every run has an end, still, Jose and Ken have a very long leash in my mind. Their sub-par seasons are still +.500. That said, we obviously need to dominate this league the way it’s made up if we have any designs on something better.

There are more teams going after the international players. Remember him losing one to Geno a few years back. 

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

There are more teams going after the international players. Remember him losing one to Geno a few years back. 

Yep, he went all-in early and had great success. Gave him an edge, but it doesn’t last forever when others discover.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

We just started having some success in football and men's basketball.  By the laws of USF sports physics, we were bound to drop off in other sports where we had previously had success.

the mystery files of shelby woo nicksplat GIF