• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA to allow players to transfer every year. Yippie. What a fing joke.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,022
  • Days Won:  38

9 hours ago, Brad said:

When fans just walk away.  Find other, more wholesome, entertainment.  

I checked around and all I found was globalized agreeable gray corporate nutrition paste.  

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

On 4/18/2024 at 11:40 AM, bullstampede9922 said:

Kind of reminds me how tipping culture evolved.  Restaurants not wanting to pay regular wage so it's passed on to the customer to supplement the employees salary.  NCAA and universities never wanted to share the profits so NIL was created to take more money from fans and donors to pay the athletes so the NCAA and universities don't have to.

On 4/18/2024 at 3:54 PM, Triple B said:

Honestly I think the term "NIL" is just being used like Coke is when talking about a soda. It's the word that started all this and people are used to it. "Collectives" sounds too hoity toity even if that's what their legal identifier is. I'd suggest just using "Payola" or the cruder "Bribery" when referring to all this.

Actually, using Trip’s analogy, NIL is cola. Collectives are Coke and endorsement deals are Pepsi. 

Both are NIL - the ability to make money off your N, I, and L.

Deon was saying not to hate on NIL as a whole - only the collectives. That piece of NIL is to blame. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

On 4/18/2024 at 8:40 AM, bullstampede9922 said:

Kind of reminds me how tipping culture evolved.  Restaurants not wanting to pay regular wage so it's passed on to the customer to supplement the employees salary. 

Made sense to me I mean, it doesn’t take much to carry a plate out to a table. Why would I wanna pay full minimum wage for that?  Give those people a variable income - if they just can be happy and smile they might make more than I could pay them.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Actually, using Trip’s analogy, NIL is cola. Collectives are Coke and endorsement deals are Pepsi. 

Deon was saying not to hate on NIL as a whole - only the collectives. That piece of NIL is to blame. 

BS, PT, it's all to blame ....... Payola.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/18/2024 at 2:27 PM, Brad said:

I say we invite the Saudis and LIV to college sports!

We could get the kids more money that way.  

This is genius thinking, Brad.  Who says we can't win national championships at USF? Anybody got a connection to a Saudi prince? Greg Norman?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

4 hours ago, Boomer said:

No. There are Collectives and there is NIL (aka endorsement deals).

Players getting Collective payments are not receiving them for use of their Name, Image & Likeness by anyone. Collectives are simply collecting money donated by fans to basically bribe a player to play here or there. A player may wish to play in one place over another and the bribe may help to sweeten the pot. No use of N, I or L is necessary here. Many college athletes receive smaller sized payments (relative to NIL deals) to play for a specific university. <- This is not NIL.

NIL is actually paying a player money specifically to be able to use their Name, Image & Likeness for an advertisement of some kind. That is an endorsement deal. Previous to NIL, companies were not allowed to use college player's Name, Image or Likeness without paying them money to use it. But before NIL, companies were not permitted to pay any amateur student athletes. Only the top, most famous college athletes have received NIL deals and have been featured in commercials.

Coke - NIL
Pepsi - Collectives
Cola - Monetary Payments to Athletes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

8 hours ago, BigSteve said:

This is genius thinking, Brad.  Who says we can't win national championships at USF? Anybody got a connection to a Saudi prince? Greg Norman?

Been corresponding with one via email about a lottery. I think he moved from Nigeria to SA.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

9 hours ago, BigSteve said:

Don't have a Saudi Prince, but do have a Nigerian Prince who send me an e-mail and is willing to wire me millions if I am willing to give up  my bank account info first plus an amount of money in order to get the money out of Nigeria. Sounds legit right? I think we are set in the NIL.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633

7 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

No. There are Collectives and there is NIL (aka endorsement deals).

Players getting Collective payments are not receiving them for use of their Name, Image & Likeness by anyone. Collectives are simply collecting money donated by fans to basically bribe a player to play here or there. A player may wish to play in one place over another and the bribe may help to sweeten the pot. No use of N, I or L is necessary here. Many college athletes receive smaller sized payments (relative to NIL deals) to play for a specific university. <- This is not NIL.

NIL is actually paying a player money specifically to be able to use their Name, Image & Likeness for an advertisement of some kind. That is an endorsement deal. Previous to NIL, companies were not allowed to use college player's Name, Image or Likeness without paying them money to use it. But before NIL, companies were not permitted to pay any amateur student athletes. Only the top, most famous college athletes have received NIL deals and have been featured in commercials.

Coke - NIL
Pepsi - Collectives
Cola - Monetary Payments to Athletes.

I try to never say I’m certain about something until I really am, and I’m only saying I’m pretty certain on this because of the multiple times I see the term “NIL Collective”. 

Here are a couple links:

https://theathletic.com/4684892/2023/07/12/collective-association-nil-ncaa/

Please show us a link that clearly states Collectives are not a form of NIL (or cola 😉)

Edited by Boomer

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748

Various corporations, as well as the United States federal government, have bribed me to show up and sling code for them - for decades.  The bribes were deposited into various types of accounts (checking, savings, investment). Universities have been bribing young men and women to sweat profusely where the compensation used to be just books, bed and bread (and dare I say the occasional cash in an envelope, job for our brother, car from the local dealership). It will now include folding green presented in public. It's very difficult for me to get amped up and bent out of shape by the idea of us (the earthlings) not maximizing the return on our opportunities, wherever they may be. Is it less than optimal that some of us (😜) are not able to bribe the better athletes to entertain us? Do we cling to the myth of the 'level playing field' or 'wanting it to be fair'*? Sure, subjectively speaking. But it is sort of like the divide, have versus have-not, that we see everywhere else. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with complaining about how the machine runs, but there is a point where acceptance ...

* - I never wanted fair fights. I always wanted to be the bigger, faster, stronger one - 'cause that always seemed to work out well.