• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Golesh > Dion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I was never sold on Dion. He has never proven anything on an FBS level.  While he had a great record in FCS it is a whole different ballpark than the FBS

Jackson State was already a known brand in the SWAC. On top of that Dion's flash and celebrity culture was able to recruit the best "of the rest" in that level, plus the 1 or 2 FBS level players that were willing. That's no longer the case when you coach at the FBS. Getting the best "of the rest" isn't good enough. Now you are competing with known brands and the (supposed) top tier coaches and support structures for college football.

He became the big fish in a small pond to a small (but flashy) fish in a big expensive over the top aquarium. I'm NOT saying Dion will be successful, only that he is unproven in the FBS level.

Meanwhile Golesh has experience and success at the top of FBS football.

While he wasn't my #1 choice of the rumored candidates, I definitely preferred him over Dion 

In addition.. I know any successful coach here will be poached to one of the "Power whatever" conference teams. But I would feel that Dion would have one foot out the door from day one, no matter how good he's doing here.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Players come to Colorado to get paid and play for coach prime.  There are better  coaches and teams in the pac than the swap. You can't just buy wins without good coaching plans. Colorado is much better but no where near the a contender for the pac.

No one truly expected them to be competing for the conference in season 1. They were 1-11 last year and are already competing with and beating ranked opponents. They were an onside kick away from completing the comeback today. You can dislike his personality, y'all don't seem to like slick talking quick witted coaches. That's fine, but all of the talent in the world doesn't make it gel. Talent doesn't game plan and make adjustments. Jeff Scott is a perfect example,  Golesh is taking less than what Jeff Scott had and is doing more... Bad coaching costs games and good coaching gives you a chance when you shouldn't have one. Golesh and Prime are both solid. That's all I'm saying. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,706
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, USFBulls12 said:

I do believe Golesh is a better coach than Celine Dion. But I think she coaches Canadian Football. 

1130083534_hesrightyouknow.jpg.ebfcd41eff4d73f578a7caf32b37a3c7.jpg

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Sanders is name-brand Willie Taggart. He can recruit above his weight class, run an offense, but lives and dies by the shoot out. Can build a program but gets out coached in the big games or lacks the wherewithal to win as an underdog. Wouldn’t go so far as to say we got the better coach out of the deal, yet. Golesh has made some dumb calls so far… 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Sanders is instant success based on his celebrity status. A lot of top recruits flock to him over it. But, I think in the long run, CAG is a much better coach and the much better hire. Once Deion left us for a bigger program, our top recruits transfer out, just like at JSU, no culture was ever built, and the program comes crashing down. We would be in the gutter again. CAG is building a culture and is a much better X’s and O’s coach. I’m happy with how quickly he was able to break out of the culture that was instilled by Strong and Scott. I just hope CAG stays with us for the long run into greener pastures.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

I believe CAG is a much better fit here than DS would have been

Much easier to stomach.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, beefy620 said:

I take this post personal

I See What You Did There GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,706
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

I believe CAG is a much better fit here than DS would have been

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Much easier to stomach.

A-men ..... If we did start winning with him it would have been great but I'm not sure it would have felt right.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I am happy with our guy.  Golesh is our guy.  Let's stop comparing to the other guy.  

• Upvote 4