• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Was Saturday our 'Syracuse' moment?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

32 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I have a feeling that even he could have won more games in our new worst conference. 

CJS played not to lose and lost. CAG played not to lose in the first few games and changed his approach. Idk if he went deeper into the playbook or made some other mental adjustments, but it paid off.  CJS wasn’t not going to make that leap or he would’ve.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,637
  • Days Won:  6

The game after Syracuse, we went into UConn as 3.5 point favorites and won 28-20.  Don't know what that means but thought it was interesting.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

CJS played not to lose and lost. CAG played not to lose in the first few games and changed his approach. Idk if he went deeper into the playbook or made some other mental adjustments, but it paid off.  CJS wasn’t not going to make that leap or he would’ve.

Huh?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Huh?

We didn’t open the playbook. Looked like we played a bit timid and conservative compared to the Rice game. It might have been the team getting used to each other, but I think the coach has to set the tone and open things up. ***Offensively, Defense has been pretty consistently good****

Edited by Roaming Bull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

10 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

We didn’t open the playbook. Looked like we played a bit timid and conservative compared to the Rice game. It might have been the team getting used to each other, but I think the coach has to set the tone and open things up. ***Offensively, Defense has been pretty consistently good****

For what it's worth Golesh chose to go for it on 4th down 5 times instead of punting or kicking a FG. 

The Golesh offense is predicated on the run and short passes opening up down the field.  To be sure, the 2-pt conversion was a trickeration... but I think the plays have been fairly consistently called... (execution is a different matter).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

It was yesterday and will be for the most part the rest of the season a better matchup size, speed and athleticism

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

After the 1:04 scoring drive to start the second half, it was hard not to think of the 2015 flea flicker vs. Syracuse. What a sharp turning point that game (and that play specifically) was back then for us. I hope that's what we saw on Saturday vs Rice, excited to see more this weekend!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,423

2 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Scott was never going to win period. You can tell in the press conferences the different in attitudes in game preparation, coaching guys up by showing them their mistakes and how fix them, and his intensity is reflecting to the whole team. Golesh is here and had matched Scott's accomplishments in four games. 

AS for a Flowers Syracuse moment we will have to wait and see how the team reacts on Saturday. I bullieve  Golesh will have the boys ready to play.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

For what it's worth Golesh chose to go for it on 4th down 5 times instead of punting or kicking a FG. 

The Golesh offense is predicated on the run and short passes opening up down the field.  To be sure, the 2-pt conversion was a trickeration... but I think the plays have been fairly consistently called... (execution is a different matter).

He gambles, and that can be good. I don’t know the makeup of the play calling off hand for our first few games, but it seems we weren’t as aggressive. We needed to keep defenses honest and give our guys room to create.

The Bama game was managed well, but we just didn’t find a way to open lanes or create when we needed to. It was a good showing against a tough opponent.

FAMU was close but I’m not sure why. Was it the game plan or talent? After our last two games I think it was game plan. I think we could’ve blown them out.

WKU, was the start of a new tenure. I was impressed that we hung in there. Definitely made me more optimistic, so I’m not touching that one. Chalk it up to growing into a new system.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,423

Just now, Roaming Bull said:

He gambles, and that can be good. I don’t know the makeup of the play calling off hand for our first few games, but it seems we weren’t as aggressive. We needed to keep defenses honest and give our guys room to create.

The Bama game was managed well, but we just didn’t find a way to open lanes or create when we needed to. It was a good showing against a tough opponent.

FAMU was close but I’m not sure why. Was it the game plan or talent? After our last two games I think it was game plan. I think we could’ve blown them out.

WKU, was the start of a new tenure. I was impressed that we hung in there. Definitely made me more optimistic, so I’m not touching that one. Chalk it up to growing into a new system.

I think FAMU had a more talented dline then Rice.

• Like 1