• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Golesh, Kelly emphasize building culture ahead of upcoming season - The Oracle

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

I’m glad that when I did not see any quotes directly attributed to the title, if anyone actually used those exact words they are completely tone deaf and should be fired immediately.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

7377CF1E-2A6B-45F4-9E7C-E32439D0C662.jpeg

"Luncheon host and former USF linebacker Sam Bellington (left) and head coach Alex Golesh (right) gave guests a glimpse into what fans can expect in the 2023 season. ORACLE PHOTO/JUSTIN SEECHARAN"

I'm thinking that name should be Sam Barrington. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,983
  • Days Won:  12

I think we should ban the C word for a good 10 years

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

I’m glad that when I did not see any quotes directly attributed to the title, if anyone actually used those exact words they are completely tone deaf and should be fired immediately.

Per the article “Kelly said the school’s initiative to improve its athletic facilities shows a commitment to building a winning culture for its sports programs — especially football.”

It was not a direct quote though, so given the fact that the author messed up Barrington’s last name, maybe he took some liberty in reporting what MK actually said

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,030
  • Days Won:  10

I think coaches and AD's all over the country use the words "budling a culture" all the time. But the culture word has to coincide with winning. It cant be used as an excuse why we cant win right away. I don't think that's happening here. So personally I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by belgianbull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,200
  • Days Won:  2

That's fine when and if you actually build a winner....but year 3 and 1 fbs win and culture talk should be an automatic firing in contracts going forward here. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

24 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

Per the article “Kelly said the school’s initiative to improve its athletic facilities shows a commitment to building a winning culture for its sports programs — especially football.”

It was not a direct quote though, so given the fact that the author messed up Barrington’s last name, maybe he took some liberty in reporting what MK actually said

So is building an adjective or a verb in the title? It says that we are focused on buildings, which hopefully shows that we are committed to a winning culture. The differences maybe subtle but to me saying I’m wasting all of this money to hope it pays off in wins is much better than saying I’m specifically working on culture at the three year mark which is why I can’t be expected to win yet as that can only be built by losing as much as possible on the field, in recruiting and in player retention… it’s a process and it takes an undefined amount of time and will not show incremental growth to show it’s working … and it’s just too complex for you to understand.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

18 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So is building an adjective or a verb in the title? It says that we are focused on buildings, which hopefully shows that we are committed to a winning culture. The differences maybe subtle but to me saying I’m wasting all of this money to hope it pays off in wins is much better than saying I’m specifically working on culture at the three year mark which is why I can’t be expected to win yet as that can only be built by losing as much as possible on the field, in recruiting and in player retention… it’s a process and it takes an undefined amount of time and will not show incremental growth to show it’s working … and it’s just too complex for you to understand.

Building culture is a cop out and simply used by the previous loser and others to buy time because it is an immeasurable metric they can tout while every other measurable metric is failure.  If Goach starts using this verbiage then it is safe to say he is lost and a failure, fingers crossed, I think this guy will be pretty good, only a hunch. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

26 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Ok - I see your point and choose to be believe that “building” is a verb based on tangible actions referenced in Kelly’s statement, like the IPF and OCS

My personal preference is that all members of the athletic department lay-off the term “culture” until we actually start winning FBS football games (plural)

• Upvote 1